Electrical

image1.thumb.jpeg.7be3f8335a0638f22273e6d7084202d5.jpeg

While camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness this past week we awoke Friday morning at 1:00 when the AC and my CPAP went off. Thinking it was a simple breaker overload I reset the main breaker and sparks shot from the panel like fireworks. I immediately unplugged from the 30 AMP post and we spent the rest of the morning trying to sleep with only the roof fan on.

Now my quandry is this. Drive 450 miles to Oliver to have it repaired, or take it to a local camping world. The panel is a burnt mess.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Best I can tell from the photos, the damage appears confined mostly to the wiring with maybe a bit of scorching of the case under the bus bar. Some of the leads look like they might not have been making good contact which would lead to an eventual overheat. Replacing some wires (and assuring good contact) may be all that's needed.

If that's the case then it's probably cheaper and more convenient to have it done locally. Any qualified electrician should be able to handle it.

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

I agree that it looks like shorted contacts, but would be a bit concerned about the sparks and lack of a breaker trip. Good luck with the repair.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

With some good coaching from ScubaRX I believe the problem was a sutge from the power post. We had lightning so it could have been a strike somewher.

There is no evidence of scorching behind the panel so today I cut off the scorched ends of the wires, stripped to fresh copper, and tightened all the lugs in the bus bar.

Ran everything all day with no evidence of any problem.

Whew.

Surge protector will be on order tonight.

• Moderators

Glad you got this resolved so fast and had experienced Oliver owners help. It probably could have been worse and makes the case for a good surge protector. Glad you're back in business!!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Trumpetguy:

When you tightened all the lugs on the bus bar, did you find any loose connections? Surge protection should all ways be used when the trailer is plugged into 115 VAC, very cheap insurance. Glad everything is back to normal operation.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

No loose lugs, but the lug where hot water heater and fridge were plugged into was pretty badly burned. I don't know why Oliver used one lug for two appliances, but I separated them to their own holes in the bus bar.

• Moderators

So, it appears that ya got it fixed. Assume that this means that you are still "ON" for the Hiawassee rally?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"