Lets talk Tonneau covers!

RobertH

Hello all,

For years I have owned a Toy Hauler and pulled it with my Ram 2500 so I never lacked for storage options.  Since my Ollie Purchase I have come to realize that its time to leverage my tow vehicle.  I typically camp with 2 easy up shades/netted cover areas extra propane tanks for my cooking / lighting needs and my new generator shows up this coming week.  That being said I will now be loading my Dirt bikes into the back of my truck along with all the gear.  I do a mix of regular camping and boon docking with my dirt bikes.

So what Im looking for is some suggestions on a Cover that is secure for when Im camping without the bikes in a more populated area but is easily able to be removed when Im taking the bikes with.  Does anyone have one they already use?  I seen in one of Buzzys videos a cover so Im hoping he will weigh in on this subject and Im positive most of the people here are running trucks instead of SUVs.

• Thanks 1

Bacon is a very common item in my fridge.  :)  Do you have any links for your cover?  Or even a link to one of your youtube videos about the cover.  Picture is worth 1000 words so that makes videos priceless.

Think I seen a quote about bacon.

If bacon causes cancer, I'll eat it all so no one else has to suffer.  Not all heroes wear capes.

Link me that youtube video.

I have a hard shell fiberglass cover for my Tundra truck. It is colored the same as my truck.  Immediately after I got the cover , I noticed my gas milage increasing significantly.  My cover is an ARE and looks great.

All of that being said, I would prefer the fold up kind Buzzy is referring to. The biggest limitation to my cover is everything must fit within the height of the cover. Lumber, camping supplies etc no problem. However, I needed to take my daughter's chair to her new home, would not fit without leaving the fiberglass top up.

For hauling larger items such as bikes ( Harley rider myself) I would go with the fold up kind.  My son in law has one and it is great

• Moderators

We've found the undercover works well for us.

It's strong and light. Easily removed

We've even removed it and carried it like a shark fin when we bring the ATV home. Looks strange on its side, but hey, who cares.

I can, and have stood on it. To remove it is two pins and a couple minute s. I understand from friends that the undercover now comes with a single lock mechanism. Ours ...at 7 years of age... Requires two turns of the key.

Daily life is good. We lower the lid over outsized items, and bungee or strap the lid down routinely without issue.

Sherry

PS bacon is a staple, right?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

On our Tacoma we had a solid fiberglass cover painted to match the truck (Undercover Lux).  It was easy to remove, with two people, and was very secure and water tight.  Looked good too.

With the Ram I went with the BAKflip G2.  It's a folding hard aluminum cover.  It's black and goes well with the silver Ram.  It locks when the tailgate is locked and is pretty water proof.  After a washing there are a few drips here and there.  It folds back and stands up against the cab giving almost full access to the bed.  It's easy at the campground to fold back to access what's in the bed, which is important because that's where I carry our gas grill and charcoal grill that we use for the bacon.

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We saw an advertisement and the Lady was wearing Bacon Jewelry. If I ever see any, will get some for my Wife. She's a Farmer's daughter and they use to Hickory Smoke Virginia Hams along with side meat (Bacon). It's goooood!

On the motorcycle/pickup cover topic, been struggling with how to take a 500 pound sport touring motorcycle on camping trips. We have a Leer Shell on our Crew Cab pickup with 5.5' bed. Thinking about buying a pickup with 6.5' bed to haul the motorcycle, but will miss the pickup shell, too. Will follow this thread to help make our final decision.

LE2

Bill,

I can speak to having a 8ft bed.  It makes hauling lumber or my bikes very easy.  My truck is rather large because it has the quad cab and 8ft bed.  I think it comes in at just over 23ft.  Add my Oliver and I have a long rig but the truck doesnt notice the trailer at all and the trailer tows like a dream staying right behind the truck.   You can view my profile then look under pics and see it. FYI I dont have many pictures yet as I have not even been able to take my Ollie on a trip!   It was on its original haul home that day.

Anyway I priced out the fold-a-cover for my model in the G4 elite version and its right at 900.00 which isnt too bad.  Buzzy thanks for the pictures.  I need to do some more looking to make sure the line x wont cause any issues with the rails and cause it to leak.

"Black widow spider found in container of grapes."  Another reason to not be vegetarian.  You never find spiders in packs of bacon!

• Thanks 1

Bill, Maybe Grayson will post a few pics. He has a longer bed pickup and it carries his motorcycle. Real nice arrangement! Buzzy

Buzzy, Would like to see his rig. Also have a 1st generation Tacoma we currently tow the bike on a 4X8 motorcycle trailer. Need a very large campsite with Ollie, TV and Tacoma/motorcycle rig when camping locally.  Thanks,

Bill, I can speak to having a 8ft bed. It makes hauling lumber or my bikes very easy. My truck is rather large because it has the quad cab and 8ft bed. I think it comes in at just over 23ft. Add my Oliver and I have a long rig but the truck doesnt notice the trailer at all and the trailer tows like a dream staying right behind the truck. You can view my profile then look under pics and see it. FYI I dont have many pictures yet as I have not even been able to take my Ollie on a trip! It was on its original haul home that day. Anyway I priced out the fold-a-cover for my model in the G4 elite version and its right at 900.00 which isnt too bad. Buzzy thanks for the pictures. I need to do some more looking to make sure the line x wont cause any issues with the rails and cause it to leak. “Black widow spider found in container of grapes.” Another reason to not be vegetarian. You never find spiders in packs of bacon!

Robert,

Will check out your rig. Thanks!

Understand the anti venom only works once with a Black Widow.

True story, I was bitten by a Bat riding a Dual Sport motorcycle to Batcave, NC early one morning. Had to get all of the rabies shots. :)

Don't have to worry about this kind of stuff happening cooking bacon. :)

Edit: Just checked out Robert's rig, very nice. Bet you have to look in the mirror to be sure the Ollie is still there while towing with that nice TV! :)

LE2