Interesting Towing Info

GrayGhost

That's a good web site but not totally accurate. I just know my state and here in California, it's not just the right lane, it's the right 2 lanes or more when marked. I've seen up to 4 lanes marked for towing here. We always check out the state laws for each state we are in also and I agree that Texas is really interesting. Especially learning the stop light system :)

181968519_c312c3fc72.jpg.b8945e85754526134feab59ea95565e5.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I purchased my Ollie from the previous owner in Virginia.  He just had it inspected as a courtesy, I believe by the VA State Police. It passed with flying colors....it has the twin 30 gal propane tank option, which is apparently illegal to tow in that state! (Max allowed is 20 gal tanks)

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Buzzy stated:  Virginia only allows two propane gas tanks of 20 lbs. each per travel trailer.

This is wrong information, there is no 20 lbs tank limits in Virginia; just check with the Virginia State Police which controls the state inspections for all types of vehicles.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I had bookmarked another site with similar information, but in a tabular format.

http://onlinetowingguide.com/towing_laws.html

I have not checked to see whether the information on the two sites is in agreement!

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Karen or Reed,

Whats the deal with Texas traffic lights? We are heading to Big Bend next week, so maybe enlighten us. Of course most of the driving will be on the "big road".

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

"Speed

The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."

I've seen lots of big 5th wheels on the interstates doing 70mph.  I keep my speed at 65 or less, even in west Texas where the speed on the interstate is 85. Traffic lights are normal, red=stop, green=go. ?

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Karen or Reed, Whats the deal with Texas traffic lights? We are heading to Big Bend next week, so maybe enlighten us. Of course most of the driving will be on the “big road”. Stan

Depending on where you are in Texas makes a difference, there are some toll roads that you have to log into a website to pay... Just understanding the sideways signals is worth reading the manual for. We did - http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7.pdf

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II