Powering a TPMS Signal Booster

donbob3

I am installing a TPMS Signal Booster in the Propane Tank compartment.  Where should I attach the positive red wire and the negative ground wire?  Should I incorporate a switch.  Is there any documentation from Oliver for the junction box behind the rear jack controls?

Are you sure your booster is weather proof? That area under the doghouse gets pretty darned moist sometimes..

Have you considered mounting it inside the cabin wall forward of the microwave? There is adequate room inside the switch bay, plus easy access to constant 12 volts, and if you have the factory backup camera, you could use that existing switch to power your booster.

Any inside location up high and near the front of the cabin should work well.

Are you positively certain that you need one? My system works perfectly without one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

The TPMS Signal Booster IS Weather resistant, so no worries putting it under the Propane cover.  That's where mine is. I wired it in conjunction with my rear camera.  When the camera is on so is the booster.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I do have a rear camera. I would have thought you would have it in the rear storage bin in order to get to that circuit?

I am not sure where the camera switch in your trailer is located, but the one image I saw here on the forum had it positioned next to the main light switches at the front entry. Yes, the camera is in back, but your switch should be near the front. You can easily splice into the “switched” side to turn yourTPMS  booster on and off.

.....IF you actually need one. Have you tried it without?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I am installing a TPMS Signal Booster in the Propane Tank compartment. Where should I attach the positive red wire and the negative ground wire? Should I incorporate a switch. Is there any documentation from Oliver for the junction box behind the rear jack controls?

Don:

I also installed the TPMS Signal booster in the Propane Tank Compartment; there is no issue since the signal booster is in a weather protected box.  I obtained the +12 VDC feed from the load side of the tongue jack; I just installed an inline fuse holder with a one amp fuse to feed the signal booster.  The signal booster fuse holder is located next to the tongue jack fuse holder.  As for the negative (or ground) lead, I connected it to the frame in the propane tank compartment.  So far I have had no issue with the signal booster located in the propane tank area.

I did remove the signal booster fuse for the winter months, during the our camping months, I just leave the fuse in place.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Horace,  I isolated the wire going to the front stabilizer jack.  The cover is hard.  the gauge is bigger than 12.  I got one of those quick splicers to attach a second line.  They are nylon/plastic and clip shut and have a metal fence that  contacts  the two wires when you shut the gate.  The biggest one from Lowes  is not large enough.   How did you splice the lines?

• Moderators

According to the Ollie schematic, the rear stabilizers switch’s are red wire hot and yellow wire ground.  The front stabilizer is black wire hot and frame ground.  That being the case, the exposed black wire with the yellow fuse holder should be 12v hot.  They are all 10 gauge.  I think any of the switch’s would be a good connection point for a solder joint although I haven’t taken them apart yet to look.

458425CF-4CDA-43D7-81B2-5549539C1C3E.thumb.png.b7e00b88b5d81d1b2aa2646ca863e461.png

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Don:

Hopefully after our telephone conversations you have completed the signal booster installation or very close to completing the project.

Good luck.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93