FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

mountainborn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The foam cushions on the Oliver are actually quite great - nice and firm. But, the one area that I'm not willing to skimp on is comfortable sleep. Since we full time, and I came from a tempur-pedic mattress in my previous home - we travel with a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress. It's a bit cumbersome to switch the bed into dinette - but we imagine that will be a seldom done thing for us. But we do have a system for squishing it under the table when we don't need it.

We also use high thread count sheets, mattress pad and my plush body pillow. I'll go without a shower, refridgeration or access to my own bathroom for months on end... but I have to have to have quality sleep. It's probably my one 'princess' area :D (But i am loving carrying ice cream on board.. wow!)

- Cherie

• Moderators

I have one of those inflatable water containers you put on top of your TV that holds over 30 gallons of water and has a hose attachment. If I can't fill my Oliver's fresh water tank with the natural pressure from that container, then I can hook a hose through the window and turn on the water pump to transfer the water from the container to the fresh water tank. This feature will sure come in handy when boondocking, as long as we are where grey water can be released onto the ground.

Doug

You're right, Doug, it's a great feature when boondocking! We bought one of the inflatable tanks you have, and used it this past week for the first time. With four people camping instead of two, our freshwater use doubled.... Outdoor showers left the grey tank ialmost empty, but so was the freshwater tank in four days...

We put the inflatable tank in the truck bed and filled it at a local park. Traveled back to camp fine. The gravity feed suggested in the inflatable tank instructions didn't work, but it only took us about 15 minutes to fill the Oliver tank with the pump system, including changing over the pump, etc. We put the hose from the tank in a clean five gallon pail, and the intake piping from the Oliver into the bucket. The Oliver pump was about 15% faster than the gravity feed, so we had to turn the pump off occasionally to let the gravity feed catch up. The screen slides on the side windows, so it's no hassle to feed the intake piping out the window. It's great to be able to replenish the fresh water so easily! I took a few photos & will post later... I'm on the coffee shop wifi again... The only comment I have so far on the inflatable tank is to make sure you rinse it out really well before using the first time. I think the water smells faintly of plastic with the minimal cleaning procedures suggested in the instructions. Otherwise, great product and I appreciate your post on it!

Sherry

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Has anyone weighed their Oliver Elite? I am hoping they weigh under 3,500 pounds so I can tow with my RAV4.

If anyone has any weight information on the Oliver Elite, I sure would appreciate knowing the details (total weight, tongue weight, with holding/propane/fresh water tanks empty or not, without generator on tongue, etc.).

Thanks,

Doug

• Moderators

Doug, we havn't weighed since it was new, it was almost dead on the factory specifications. We figgured the slight difference was in the scales. Now we carry quite a bit more on the tongue, but havn't weighed it fully loaded and trip ready, with groceries, clothes and all.

Our TV is a V6 Jeep with a 3.7 litter engine.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

The only "factory specs" I've seen (on their web site) was that the trailer weighed 2,400 pounds with a tongue weight of 240 pounds. Is that about what your Elite weighed when you picked it up?

I had assumed that the 2,400 pound weight might apply only to the Classic, which has no awning, no air conditioning, no microwave, and many other goodies that are on the Elite. Therefore, I am assuming the Elite's would weigh more than 2,400 pounds.

The weight is critical to me and I have to get some definitive information before I pick up my trailer next month. I want to tow the Oliver with my RAV4, but it is rated to only 3,500 pounds. If the trailer will be too heavy, I will have to go pick it up in my one ton dually diesel pickup (not as much fun to drive). I have purchased a hitch and a break controller for the RAV4, but if my trailer is too heavy for the RAV4, there is no sense in installing these items.

I have emailed Robert asking him for help. It is imperative I have this information well before my trailer is ready for pickup. I have to be properly prepared if I am going to pick it up in the RAV4.

Thanks for your response,

Doug