FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

mountainborn

Doug, I will have Chuck post to this later, but he found some Max air vents that fit vertically on the back windows on either side of the bed. This allows us to open the windows, no rain plenty of ventilation. I will get a photo of them and post it later....... or if you are going to be at the RiverRalley, you can see them there. They attached them at the Oliver plant. Chuck took them up with us and they were on in less than 15 minutes. I think they look really good!

Geri

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe the rear window is an awning window, required for emergency egress I assume. Could someone confirm that at least this awning window can be cracked open during the rain, without the need for an aftermarket cover?

And how about traveling with a window cracked open a little...is that a problem?

"Also, since the window in the bath is not clear or double pane, why not just do without it? I suppose it's there to let in the natural light, but don't you have to turn on the light anyway?"

Doug

That window in the bathroom comes in really handy for sticking a hose through and putting that hose down in the toilet to really scour out the black water tanks and all the places in between. Best done after you have dumped out, and still in the dump mode, with the dump hose attached to the septic hole. If there is a faucet there at the dump station add your hose because it will give you a chance to rinse out the blank water tank well, before you get any buildup started. We don't do it every time we camp, but if we go for extended stays..... then we do. This window is perfectly positioned over the toilet for just such a cleaning. Geri

• Moderator+

Hey Doug,

We leave a couple of windows on the slid open about an inch or two while it is parked. With the Fantastic Fan going, we get plenty of air movement and it is never hot or stuffy (even in this Mississippi heat.) We got a nice little shower a few days ago. I had left 3 windows open. The trailer is parked in our side/back yard and is not perfectly level. The windows on the high side allowed a amount of water to get in. It was only enough to make the corner of one cushion damp. Not really a big deal. If the trailer had been perfectly level, I don't think any water would have gotten in.

The rear window actually swings out from hinges on the top. If you expect rain this might be your best bet for leaving a window open.

As for the window in the bathroom, I felt the same way as you do until we used the trailer last weekend. We were camped in a state park in TN. No hookups. We could have run the generator for the A/C (and did for a little bit) but we wanted to see how it would be without it. Just to cool off, I decided that I would take a shower prior to going to bed. After I finished, it was hot and suffy and humid and I wondered if we would have been better off without having added the heat and moisture from the shower to the already warm trailer. I reached up and switched on the vent fan. I really didn't feel like it was doing much. Then I slid the little window up a couple of inches. Wow, there was a terrific breeze coming in and in no time, the heat and moisture were gone. With that in mind, in my opinion, the window is nice. During the daylight hours, it gives plenty of light so there's no need to turn on a light. As Geri mentioned, it is handy for washing out the toilet, but if you've got the tank flush option, this is not necessary.

You are going to be thrilled with your Oliver. These guys really did their homework. I've always been the type that when I get something new, the first thing I want to do is take it apart and see how it works. I've looked in every nook and cranny of this thing and I can't find anything that I think could have been done better. They do a great job of construction and I think that this product will last its owner a long, long time.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll keep the bath window, now that I know it opens for venting.

I just ordered two Window/Maxx covers for my windows, to keep out the rain.

I do appreciate the assistance. Based on the comments I read on this forum, and pictures I saw on this site, I ordered my Oliver without even talking to Robert Partee or Jim Oliver. When I saw the aluminum frame, the 12V leveling system, and the double hull fiberglass with integrated cabinets, seats, sinks, etc., I knew I was dealing with a company that was conscientious about quality, and had put a lot of experience and thought into the design of the trailer.

RV construction is typically not that good, the designs not that well thought out, and the materials used are low grade, especially in the smaller RV's.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration. I look forward to getting my Oliver and meeting a lot of you nice folks.

Doug

Wow, this is a busy forum this morning..... as I promised just a few minutes ago, here are the photos of the Maxxair Vents Chuck had installed over the back windows on either side of the Oliver, not the back window that is used as an escape exit. We really love these a lot and use them all the time. If you have any technical questions..... save them for Chuck, I just take the pictures. LOL! Geri

The Window/Maxx covers look like a great solution, at least while parked. Being that they are installed on the trailing edge of the window, I assume it would act like a rain scoop while trailering though. I'll probably get a pair too, working in conjunction with a MaxxFan roof vent, to allow optimal ventilation rain or shine.

I've always been a fan of the jalousie style windows, but I hardly ever see those anymore. There were great in our old trailer and could be left cracked open regardless of the weather. Too bad they more or less disappeared.

Thanks, Steve, for your reassuring comments on the high quality build of the Oliver trailer. I too did not have the benefit of touring the factory before ordering, and I placed my order based largely on the facts available and the comments from extremely satisfied owners on this forum, like yourself. Although my wife is a little skeptical (due to not having spent much time on this forum and the manufacturer's website), I know we won't be disappointed.

Herm, I have asked Robert (via email) to mount my Window/Maxx covers on the forward side of the trailer windows. I see no reason that would not be doable, even if you have to swap the windows from side to side, so the sliding of the window would occur from front to rear rather than from rear to front, and so that the cover would not scoop the air and rain into the window when towing. It would also be more aerodynamic.

Doug

Hey, that's an excellent idea Doug. At least one of us is thinking this morning! Seems like you'd want the operable portion on the 'windward' side of the trailer for better access anyway. I guess I better fire off another email to Robert...hopefully this won't be the one that breaks the camels back.

• Moderator+

I have wished for my windows to open the opposite way also. On the curb side of the trailer it will have the added benefit of placing the rear window (when opened) under the awning. I thought about taking that one out and turning it around, but decided that it would be a LOT of trouble. Would seem that it would be easy during construction though.

Herm,

Tali and I were fortunate that we lived close enough to the factory to visit whenever we wanted. I’ve ended up having gone 5 times so I have had an excellent opportunity to observe the trailers in all stages of construction. If your wife would like discuss her concerns with Tali about of the , they could get together for a woman's perspective. Let me know.....

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I have one of those inflatable water containers you put on top of your TV that holds over 30 gallons of water and has a hose attachment.

This feature will sure come in handy when boondocking, as long as we are where grey water can be released onto the ground.

Doug

Doug, I've spent about a half hour on the internet looking for just such a container. Sounds like just what we need for our next trip. Would you mind telling me where you found it? Thanks so much.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sure, here you go Sherry:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... allon/1605

It's a 45 gallon capacity container, and you have to be aware that it can overload a TV, but you can put only what is safe for your vehicle. There is no need to fill it up, for the Oliver fresh water tank will hold only 32.5 gallons (if memory serves me).

Doug

PS: I haven't used mine, as I just recently saw and purchased it on CW's web site, as an "internet special." Keep in mind, they are not for highway use, only for campground or nearby water sources.

• Moderators

Thank you, Doug, for your quick response. I searched Camping World's data base first, but somehow missed it in the 325 items that came up! It's $90 for members, compared to over $200 for a comparable smart tote at CW, or flexible tank at West Marine, and a lot less bulky to store than a drum. I suspect we'll just leave it in the bed of the pickup, so it'll be fine... not carrying the ATV this time... and we'll fill it up close to where we need it... 30-40 gallons of water is pretty heavy to tote around!!

Our local Camping World didn't have one in stock, so I called another store on our route, and have it ready in will call. We'll be using it next week, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just curious, do most of you Oliver campers use Travasak's for your bed, or do you use sheets, blankets, and bed spreads?

Do most of you sleep on your cushions, or do you supplement your cushions by placing mattress topers/covers on your cushions?

Are you pleased with whatever set up you are using, or are you searching for something more comfortable and or convenient?

• Moderators

We use the cushions, a soft padded & fitted full size mattress pad, and queen size sheets. We find the dense foam cushions to be very comfortable... I often find that I sleep better in the Oliver than at home. Two positives to no mattress: we can set up the big table if we want to, even tho we leave the bed set up most of the time on a long trip. And, it's easier to make the bed with cushions by flipping the end cushions vertical, one at a time, to fit the sheets around the corners, and then push down. I store bedding in a decorative pillow sham when not in use.

We've used sleep sacks in the past... but I'm personally not as comfortable in a sleep sack as regular sheets. If you do buy them, we found a great deal on silk sleep sacks with an ebay store a year or so ago. The silk washes and dries quickly, and the fabric "breathes", super light weight & fold up to about the size of a pair of hiking socks when not in use! I'd order the extra wide sacks for more leg room & comfort.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Sherry, thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

We are opting for the twin beds, which we have never tried before during our almost 50 years of marriage, so we don't have to go the same way. We could each do our own thing.

My primary concern is comfort. My secondary concern is the convenience in making up the bed and washing. My third concern is where to put the bed stuff when we convert the side bed to a table. The bed stuff needs to be compact, like the silk sheets you mentioned. I don't know about storing the table pedestal when we are using it as a bed. It's probably not a problem.

I'll try to find the silk sleeping sacks. They sound interesting and practical.

Doug

• Moderator+

Doug,

The table pedestle will go nicely into the closet.

Steve

• Moderator+

Doug,

Yes, the jacks can actually lift the entire trailer off the ground. For that reason, no manual jack is included with the Oliver. You do, however, get a nice lug wrench. ;) Hopefully you'll never get a flat, but if you do, the jack will at least take care of the lifting for you...

Steve

I want to get a plastic tub that fits the Oliver kitchen sink so I don't scratch up the fiberglass while washing pots and pans.

I'd appreciate it if someone would give be the dimensions (Depth, Width, and Height) of the plastic tub that would just barely fit into the Oliver sink. I need to start looking for one now so I can buy it before we use the sink and scratch it up.

If any of you can think of a better way to protect the sink from getting scratched, please let me know.

Doug

• Moderators

Hi, Doug,

The Sterilite 12 quart dishpan sold at Walmart fits pretty well. I trimmed a crescent shape out of the underside of one handle to allow a little more room for the faucet... You'll see what I mean. Comes in four or five colors, about $4. IKEA has a dish drainer that fits over this dishpan like a cover... comes in black only. Bohoelmen, or something like that, is the name of it. Around $5, I think. I can look up the item number when we get back to camp if you'd like.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4