Campground Suggestions - Shreveport to Mobile in January

ShallowGal

Duke & I are planning our first big trip (As retirees! No timeline!) to visit family outside Kansas City for Christmas. We have drafted our route from home (FLA) to KS with a stop in Hohenwald along the way. When we leave Kansas we are heading south to visit family in Carthage Texas & from there possibly to Sam Houston Jones State Park in Lake Charles, LA. It's from there where we are stumped & would love to hear your suggestions & warnings. We're using the AllStays website but there are too many choices. We would love to explore the bayou country & good food is a lure as well.

Tips about the trek west from Hohenwald are welcome too.

Thank you in advance!

Chris

[attachment file=Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 11.42.48 AM.png]

Screen-Shot-2018-08-04-at-11_42.48-AM.thumb.png.1746ca56b9042cecbb38a9be3ebf5952.png

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

Looks like a great trip! We have family outside of KC as well (north, Leavenworth/Lansing) and there are not many campgrounds to choose from in that area. Hopefully, the December weather will cooperate for your trip.

We have found that state parks in Arkansas are very good, we’ve stayed at a half dozen or so. Tennessee also has some nice state parks. You’ve got Caddo Lake State Park here in Texas on your map. We’ve stayed there and it is nice. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in Texas. Big trees, some swampy areas. Should be nice that time of year. We’ve also stayed at Village Creek State Park which is just north of Beaumont, small but nice. In Louisiana, we have stayed at Fountainebleau State Park which is on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain just off I-10. We didn’t stay long, but we did have a nice site. Also on I-10 in Louisiana is the Atchafalaya Rest Stop which has RV parking and 24 hour security. We overnighted there once on our way home. They welcome overnight guests there.

Take a look at The Ultimate US Public Campground App. It lists parks (National down to city), Corps of Engineer campgrounds (some are exceptional), BLM, Forest Service, Utility and military campgrounds. It’s what I use first, then I go to Allstays.

Good luck! Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Take a look at The Ultimate US Public Campground App.

Thank you Mike (& Carol) for the feedback!  We had not heard of that app & will definitely add it to our resources.

Congratulations on retirement.  Will this be a warm up for Alaska?  Are you’all going to Jasksonville In October?

Thank you Mike (& Krunch)! Yes, we are going to Jacksonville. You & Krunch are too, right? I hope so! I believe we're in site O-21. And yes, this is a warm up for Alaska trip. If you see hull #292 go up for sale in January, you'll know it didn't go well. :)

• Thanks 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 2 weeks later...

I like using campendium.com to find great campsites.  We like Poche's Fish and Camp in Breaux Bridge LA, Gulf State Park AL, and Grayton Beach State Park in the Florida panhandle. Check out our blog: https://travelswithollie.com