RAM 1500 Laramie - Are these specs OK to tow the Elite II

discus277

Thanks Garry and Kristi.

The RAM with Eco Diesel may be the best choice. However, after measuring the height of my garage door I found  the truck may not clear the door...at minimum I will have to try to make some kind of adjustment to get the needed clearance. That got me wondering if I might be better off with an SUV.

I am not concerned about DEF....I currently have a 34 foot diesel pusher (we are looking to downsize) that requires DEF....you can get it at the pump in many locations and even in the 2 1/2 gallon jugs it is not a big expense

Thanks for your reply,

Jim

Wow that is strange that they lowered the tow rating to 6200 lbs across the board.  It doesn't make sense because the 3.6L V6, HEMI V8, and EcoDiesel all have the same 6200 lb tow rating.  That means they must have tweaked something with the chassis to where the engine makes no difference at all.

DEF is not a concern for the Ecodiesels, and presumably any small diesel.  Mine only goes through 2.5 gallons every 5000 miles with my daily commute.  I just get a jug at AutoZone and I'm on my way.  HD diesel pickups use a lot more....

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Puzzled by the apparent drop in towing capacity, I contacted the local jeep dealer where I bought mine (Glendale Jeep.)   The service person I spoke with was unaware of any changes in the chassis or suspension in the 2018 version of the Grand Cherokee, but agreed that the communication materials on that subject were less than clear.  I contacted Jeep's headquarters via email with the same question, and received this reply, in part:  "When comparing the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel  4x4, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee is capable of towing 7,200 lbs with no changes from its 2015 counterpart."  In addition, the following link was provided which more clearly reflects the towing capacity: www.mopar.com.  So, it appears that the towing capacity has not changed.

Russ Caslin

• Thanks 1

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Discus277

Have you taken the actual measurement of the pickup you are considering?  The reason I ask is that using specs, I did not think ours would fit in our garage (lengthwise) but it did - just barely and need the tennis ball setup. Our RAM 1500 is 77.5 in. Tall to top of satellite radio shark fin. I think I ducked first time moving it into the garage but had several inches clearance.

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

I think you might be OK with the 3.55 ratio, but I 110% KNOW that the truck will be much livelier, satisfying to drive and get better mpgs towing with the 3.92 axles. Changing the drive ratio by that much makes a serious increase in power delivered to the wheels. The only real downside will be slightly reduced mpgs when cruising empty.

If you are getting 4wd, and you should, and you also expect to install larger diameter or all terrain/ mud tires, get the 3.92 without question. Bigger or heavier tires kill towing performance.

No matter how much you like that truck you drove, the tow package will make it run significantly stronger in stressful conditions, like hot, high 12% mountain grades.

Are you sure you want a diesel, and are you aware of the emission issues (DPF and urea injection) and the high long term costs of repair? If you definitely want one, buy a good extended warranty.

If I were buying a Ram today I would be looking at the 2500 6.4 liter Hemi. I have owned a couple of diesels and never plan to go down that particular road again.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm with you John, I would go with the Ram 2500 and the 6.4 Hemi. The 3/4 ton will come with just about everything you need and many models with have all the towing equipment as standard. I would think you would not even need the WDH and Swaybar with a 3/4 ton, but I'm trying it first to see how it handles. I've been pulling trailer for 40 plus years and have a pretty good idea on what to expect with the Oliver, Stick trailer is another thing. The 2500 will give you a GVWR of over 10,000 lbs. with a stock options, plus a well equipped 2500 will bring higher resale then a 1500, remember us trailer people have our tow vehicle it tip tip shape over the life span that we use them. A well equipped 2500 can be purchased between $45,000 and $50,000 in my area and that's with 4-wheel drive. I would personally not go for the 1500 with the baby diesel engine, if you want a diesel, get a real diesel engine in you Ram 2500.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 1 month later...

Jim:

I'm also looking at the used market for a Ram 3.0 Eco-diesel.  Impressive in the 4X4 version,  puts out 420 ft-lbs of torque and is EPA rated a combined 22 mpg (City 19 and Highway 28 MPG) for the 2015 model anyway.  Some of the blogs indicate that the owners of the used ones are getting way over the EPA ratings.

Also, the 2015 version has an eight speed transmission, and I believe two of the gears are OD.  The combination absolutely kills the ten MPG I got last summer.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

The 3.0L Eco-Diesel engine has not been discontinued for model year 2019.  According to two blogs, it will enter production during the summer of 2019.  To keep up with the competition, it is rumored that the output of the 3.0 Eco Diesel will be on the order of 260 HP and 442 lb-Ft of torque...... and still get great mileage in a big truck.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

JED: What MPG do you get with your Land Cruiser and the 5.7 liter gas motor?

Land Cruisers (other than the wonderful twin turbo diesel which we can't get here) are thirsty due to the way they are overbuilt. Stock mine got 18 mpg, at best, at 60mph. I never towed with it that way.

With 2 inch larger 10 ply tires and nothing on the roof, I get 15-16 at 60 mph, 10-12 towing. With a 25 gallon tank, cruising range is a worry. I carry 10 gallons of extra fuel if I am off in the real remote boonies.

Adding a roof rack cuts another mpg.

It does use 87 octane, that is a plus. It runs a little bit peppier with mid-grade but not enough to want me to buy it. It REALLY likes the 87 ethanol free, and the mpgs go up, but since I cannot reliably find it while towing, I do not pay the extra 60 cents per gallon. If I could count on filling up with it every time on a long trip, I would use it, no question. I won't use anything else in my small power equipment.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.