GPS Recommendations

connor77

2 hours ago, Neuman's said:

Does anyone have any feedback on the Garmin Overlander?

I'd save some cash and get the RV 890 instead of the Overlander. Better hardware and updated software with a very similar feature set.

• Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators

Another thumbs up for Garmin - with "traffic".

The traffic function really doesn't function everywhere - just mostly around larger cities.  However, about 6 years ago I was towing just west of the center of Denver on interstate 70 and was surrounded by tons of traffic.  My Garmin kept "yelling" at me to take the next exit.  Thinking that I had been this route numerous times and that I was actually smarter than some "dumb" machine, I ignored the yelling until traffic came to a total stop.  At that point I looked at the screen and realized that Garmin wanted to reroute me around all this traffic - duh!  From that point on I simply obeyed and I'm guessing that I saved at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.  Certainly made me a believer.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

The mount I'm looking at has a lever that tightens the tabs that insert into the slot. 

I have one in my car that came with adhesive pads to adjust the fit of the tabs, but didn't need to use them; the car mount also has the lever to make it tight. It hasn't worked loose with my cell phone.  Hoping this type of mount will work for the Garmin.  If not, we'll try a bean bag friction mount on the dash.  The Ford dash has a recessed area in the center that will hold the bean bag nicely, but it will block the driver's view some, but not as much as the suction mount on the glass.

Susan H, have you come up with a satisfactory mount for your 890?  I'm specifically curious if you went with the bean bag mount.  Your truck and my truck have a similar "landing area" for a GPS and I think the bean bag location of the GPS would be preferable to attaching it to the windshield.  Operating it only in landscape view would be my preference.  If you went with the bean bag mount can you provide a part number for it?

Did you consider the magnetic mount with HD traffic or will getting traffic through your paired phone be as good?   

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

14 hours ago, connor77 said:

Susan H, have you come up with a satisfactory mount for your 890?  I'm specifically curious if you went with the bean bag mount.  Your truck and my truck have a similar "landing area" for a GPS and I think the bean bag location of the GPS would be preferable to attaching it to the windshield.  Operating it only in landscape view would be my preference.  If you went with the bean bag mount can you provide a part number for it?

Did you consider the magnetic mount with HD traffic or will getting traffic through your paired phone be as good?   

We ended up with a CD slot mount; was able to swap out the ball joint on the CD mount for the larger ball on the Garmin 890 mount.  Works well with the dash configuration of our 2013 F350, putting the screen just below dash level.  There is a tiny bit of vibration, but not enough to bother seeing navigation.  It does take a bit of practice to use the touch screen while the screen is on the mount because of the slight wobble.  We decided the arm on the bean bag mount would not be high enough for the screen to clear the dash.  And the larger screen takes up a lot of the view out the windshield.

I really like the powered magnetic mount; you can easily remove the unit to store it out of sight when you leave the vehicle.  And, if the co-pilot needs to make changes, it can be done without the cord attached, since the power supply connects to the mount and not the back of the Garmin.  It is supposed to run off battery for about an hour.

The Garmin paired easily with my phone (Samsung 10e)  The traffic alert worked well; I was surprised that it even picked up an accident on our remote state highway.  Haven't experienced any bad weather yet, to see how weather alerts go.  It does have a nice screen that shows road conditions (color coded).  I found it once, but haven't been able to find it again.  But, honestly, the navigation is pretty intuitive.  The only complaint I have, after 1 day, is that if you zoom out to show more of the route, after a while it zooms back in.  I'm going to research to see if there's a way to turn this off.  I can remember a setting on my car satnav; hope Garmin has the same.

We're on the road to Hohenwald right now.  Spending Day 1 in Burns Oregon at the Historic Central Hotel.  We've stayed here before and it's amazing.  Self-check in, like Airbnb.  There are 12 rooms and I think we are the only occupants.  By the time we get to Hohenwald, I should be able to answer more questions about the Garmin 890.

https://historiccentralhotel.com/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

7 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

We ended up with a CD slot mount; was able to swap out the ball joint on the CD mount for the larger ball on the Garmin 890 mount.  Works well with the dash configuration of our 2013 F350, putting the screen just below dash level.  There is a tiny bit of vibration, but not enough to bother seeing navigation.  It does take a bit of practice to use the touch screen while the screen is on the mount because of the slight wobble.  We decided the arm on the bean bag mount would not be high enough for the screen to clear the dash.  And the larger screen takes up a lot of the view out the windshield.

I really like the powered magnetic mount; you can easily remove the unit to store it out of sight when you leave the vehicle.  And, if the co-pilot needs to make changes, it can be done without the cord attached, since the power supply connects to the mount and not the back of the Garmin.  It is supposed to run off battery for about an hour.

The Garmin paired easily with my phone (Samsung 10e)  The traffic alert worked well; I was surprised that it even picked up an accident on our remote state highway.  Haven't experienced any bad weather yet, to see how weather alerts go.  It does have a nice screen that shows road conditions (color coded).  I found it once, but haven't been able to find it again.  But, honestly, the navigation is pretty intuitive.  The only complaint I have, after 1 day, is that if you zoom out to show more of the route, after a while it zooms back in.  I'm going to research to see if there's a way to turn this off.  I can remember a setting on my car satnav; hope Garmin has the same.

We're on the road to Hohenwald right now.  Spending Day 1 in Burns Oregon at the Historic Central Hotel.  We've stayed here before and it's amazing.  Self-check in, like Airbnb.  There are 12 rooms and I think we are the only occupants.  By the time we get to Hohenwald, I should be able to answer more questions about the Garmin 890.

https://historiccentralhotel.com/

Thanks a lot for the detailed update.  The central hotel is beautiful for sure.  Safe travels to Hohenwald and we're looking forward to some pictures once you've picked up Pearl!

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR