Jump to content

Self Install: Front & Rear Propane Quick Connects


Recommended Posts

I tried searching to no avail. I only found one topic on this but not much detail so I felt I should ask:

Is it possible to self install the front + rear propane quick connects for outdoor cooking? If so, could I be pointed in the right direction in terms of a part / tool I would need to do this?

 

Thanks!

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pick up my LE2 in May. I decided against the propane quick disconnects because all of my 20 year old stoves, cookers, fryers, etc have their own pressure regulators. My understanding is that they will not work unless connected to a high pressure source (can't have two regulators in series...it will lower the pressure too much). The LE2 has a regulator at the tanks so all the propane lines into/underneath are low pressure.

So, what I have planned is to install a propane "Y" connector coming off one of the 30 lb tanks. One of the y connectors will go to the LE2 regulator to fuel the LE2 as normal. The other Y connector will connect to a detachable high pressure propane hose that will run to my stoves/etc.

When disconnecting, I will need to turn off the tank and burn the hose length of propane....other wise the propane will escape into the air.

Below is my preliminary list of components needed to convert a coleman stove with the high pressure source. No special tools needed.

 
Priority Item Cost $$$ Desc
2 CAM59893 44 Camco Propane "Y" Adapter w/ Handwheel - Male P.O.L. x (2) 1"-20 Male
2 Gaspro conversion hose 52 GASPRO 18 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter for 1 LB Portable Appliance to 5-40 lb Propane Tank 
2 Coleman stove gas to propane converter 20 Stansport Propane Converter
       
Option Dozyant conversion hose 40 DOZYANT 18 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter Replacement for QCC1 / Type1 Tank Connects 1 LB Bulk Portable Appliance to 20 lb Propane Tank
 
 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveCr said:

I pick up my LE2 in May. I decided against the propane quick disconnects because all of my 20 year old stoves, cookers, fryers, etc have their own pressure regulators.

Steve, Your plan to add another regulator is feasible, but it seems clumsy to me. 

I have three propane items that each came with their own regulators: A Camp Chef stove, a Weber Q1000 grill, and an Outback Firebowl firepit. For each I was able to replace the connecting hose with a regulator with a hose with a propane quick connect. For the stove I used an 8 foot hose (currently $61; I paid $26), and for the firepit I used a 4 foot hose

Converting the Weber grill was more complicated, and covered in this post

The quick connects are really convenient, and it might be worthwhile to see if you can make them work. 

  • Like 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the set up I use instead of the propane quick connect. Simple easy to install . With a 20ft hose reaches just about anywhere. Works with all appliances and only cost about $35.00 minus the hose.

3B60D6BA-849D-4EFC-B465-A425E8BB9D22.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clumsy ? 

Let me explain a different way.......

My old suitcase Coleman stoves are white gas only. To convert them to propane the Stansport propane converter is required.

Once converted, the high pressure hose runs from the stove to the propane tank.

The connection to the tank is to the "Y" connector....similar to what I see in Landrover's pic.

One three point connector and one hose to the stove or any other appliance that has it's own regulator.

image.png.3278efc8a7daf78b98d289c671c7e6eb.pngimage.png.52265a591eb6e3368048fad40070e6f5.png

 

 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SteveCr said:

Clumsy ? 

Let me explain a different way.......

My old suitcase Coleman stoves are white gas only. To convert them to propane the Stansport propane converter is required.

Once converted, the high pressure hose runs from the stove to the propane tank.

The connection to the tank is to the "Y" connector....similar to what I see in Landrover's pic.

One three point connector and one hose to the stove or any other appliance that has it's own regulator.

image.png.3278efc8a7daf78b98d289c671c7e6eb.pngimage.png.52265a591eb6e3368048fad40070e6f5.png

 

 

Another good setup. The only problem with this is you have to disconnect and reconnect the tee to the propane tank every time. Unless you have a separate propane tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, Landrover said:

Here is the set up I use instead of the propane quick connect. Simple easy to install . With a 20ft hose reaches just about anywhere. Works with all appliances and only cost about $35.00 minus the hose.

3B60D6BA-849D-4EFC-B465-A425E8BB9D22.jpeg

Could you tell me where to find the parts or the whole tee?  Thanks Foy

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, Landrover said:

Here is the set up I use instead of the propane quick connect. Simple easy to install . With a 20ft hose reaches just about anywhere. Works with all appliances and only cost about $35.00 minus the hose.

Im interested in the parts you used to make this. 

Do you need to turn off the tank, then connect your hose so propane doesnt escape escape or is this T a "quick" connect like system?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jordanv said:

Im interested in the parts you used to make this. 

Do you need to turn off the tank, then connect your hose so propane doesnt escape escape or is this T a "quick" connect like system?

The only way I ever make the connection to the tee is shut off the tank valve first for safety. Attach your hose then  attach the hose to  what ever appliance you are using turn the tank valve back on. Make sure your appliance is also turned off before you turn the tank valve back on  When your done with the appliance keep it running  turn off the tank valve this  will  empty  any propane left in the line,  Diconnect the hose and turn the propane back on. Very simple steps.  I think you have to do the same for the quick connect you turn off the valve at the connection  before attaching your  hose and appliance in stead of turning off the tank valve same steps. Hope this helps.   The  tee valve you can get on  amazon best price  $20.00

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Landrover said:

The  tee valve you can get on  amazon best price  $20.00

All I am seeing is this 3 way "Y" type valve. The ends dont have any caps for them, so it seems like this wouldnt work as gas would just escape if a third appliance wasnt connected.

Do you have the link for what you got?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jordanv said:

All I am seeing is this 3 way "Y" type valve. The ends dont have any caps for them, so it seems like this wouldnt work as gas would just escape if a third appliance wasnt connected.

Do you have the link for what you got?

Jordanv

i think your looking at the other post picture. Y connection my set up is inline and you can only connect one appliance.  The tee stays connected inline.  Sorry i cant link you the picture from amazon. If you look at my picture easy to match it up on amazon. I will say there are many different types of connections offered. This is the one that best works for me. Thanks

7B63609B-9D1A-4CC4-AD0F-791B48D58D5C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I purchase a kit for my Weber that allows me to connect to the Oliver QC and just bought an adapter for my Camp Chef Ranger II.  Saved the eliminated regulators for the owners of the two propane appliances.  Now connecting to my Champion dual fuel was more elaborate and required a special regulator to allow the carburetor to pull propane as required.  I added some QC connectors to facilitate storage, but the total cost me about $150 including spare regulator for using on a propane tank at home.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh


Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...