greetings from the swamp

Boudicca908

Greetings from the Swamp, where we seek to escape summer by meandering north!

I'm a life-long camper but I am a novice for trailer life and everything associated with towing and setup. I was very lucky to see an Oliver in person last year, and I'm in line for production of a '22 model -- not quite decided but leaning toward the Elite II because I prefer long trips (I've been tent camping for months at a time, traveling both by bicycle and by automobile in the past.) I think Boondocking might be fun. I love being in remote places, with dark skies and quiet. However, the smaller model might be more appropriate for me, due to easier towing, easier storage (I will have to pay to store, due to homeowner association rules) and also to lighten the load and hopefully result in a less expensive and more manageable truck. (I'm feeling somewhat doubtful about people telling me an F150 can easily handle a loaded Elite II -- but maybe I'll be surprised!)

I'm very glad that Oliver has this Forum -- I'll be working to educate myself, beginning with the truck I need -- I have plenty to learn and this looks like the place to be! 

Cheers all --

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

Welcome to the forum. Are you by yourself or will you have a companion? For true boondocking ease, buy the smaller trailer!!! Without a doubt it will be MUCH easier to maneuver and a lot easier to find spots in Western parks, where many sites are simply too small for an LE2 to fit. 

This has often been discussed here. The main issue with Ollies is where do you put all your stuff? if you are by yourself, it becomes much easier. Any full sized body on frame 4wd truck or SUV with a medium or long wheelbase (NOT  a Wrangler, too short!) would be ideal for your needs. I would normally recommend a Land Cruiser 200 for the little trailer, but since new ones became extinct in the USA, good used LC200s have become unobtanium. 

I love my LE2 but if I were solo I would not have bought that model.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi John --

Excellent point about the sites and maneuvering! I've noticed on many camping trips that sites can be rare and difficult to approach for trailers. I'm by myself, used to do solo self-supported bike camping (though at that time I over-packed food and tools and had 100# of stuff on the bicycle, I could barely pump my legs up the Oregon Coastal road!)  My guess is the biggest weight issue will be food for me, if I'm trying to boondock. Love cooking from scratch. 

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum.

The smaller Elite is indeed an ideal boondocking trailer. We've used and enjoyed ours as a couple for 14 seasons. You won't even know it's behind your f150. We've towed ours with two different half tons, my Silverado,  and my husband's Ram 4x4.

I can carry food for at least two weeks for 2, so you should be fine. 

Good luck in your decision.  Lots of folks here to answer your questions. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have many raw newbies join up, and I always try to remind them, try before you buy! If you have never towed anything before, rent or borrow a small trailer, even a 10 foot U haul, and tow it all over the place for a week or two. Renting a travel trailer is better, because that will introduce you to all the fairly complicated electrical and plumbing systems. That will teach you whether or not you can adjust to the new situation, it can be intimidating for some people. Do you in fact already have an F150? If so, it might be all you need, as long as it is 4wd and no more than a few years old. The newer trucks have many towing and driver assist safety features that will help you to be comfortable on those long trips. Even an old truck will work for an LE1, though eventually you will probably want to get a more capable one.

Finally, if you can, See An Ollie, both models, to get a feel for the size differences. You may decide that you just prefer the extra space of the big one, and can live with its few drawbacks..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I don’t own a truck yet — looking around and there are a few used and fewer new available. One thing I don’t like about the Elite I is the single axle — I’d prefer the double. 
I’ve seen the Elite II and have requested to see the smaller model, if they can find one for me. 
Thanks for the great tips!

On 10/31/2021 at 7:03 PM, Boudicca908 said:

I don’t own a truck yet — looking around and there are a few used and fewer new available. One thing I don’t like about the Elite I is the single axle — I’d prefer the double. 
I’ve seen the Elite II and have requested to see the smaller model, if they can find one for me. 
Thanks for the great tips!

I agree with the sentiment: If you are flying solo the LEI is much more manageable. I had a single axel 17' Casita for 11 yrs it is similar to the LEI in size. For that size trailer a double axel is not necessary.

• Like 1

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra