RV parks

We just picked up our Chiquita Casa, # 938 on Nov. 23! Loving it so far! We’re heading back to California with a quick stop in New Orleans to see family. Anyone have recommendations for camping options between New Orleans and Austin, TX? Thanks in advance! 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

So, you're likely looking for something 4 to 6 hours from NOLA? 

We rarely travel west of the Mississippi on I10, so I'll leave it to the Texas and Louisiana people to advise. My last experiences in Louisiana and East Texas (I10) are over a decade old .

(Basically,  bumping your post, so others will see it.)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Do you have any route information?  I assume I-10 through Houston on to San Antonio then north to Austin?  Or will you take some back roads to avoid cities?  We don’t do many commercial campgrounds, would you be interested in state parks?  Texas has some good ones.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks, SeaDawg and Mike and Carol. Yes, we’d be interested in State Parks in Texas. We are not sure of our route yet, but do not relish driving through any cities. 😬😬 Thanks, Ollie community, for any suggestions. 

• Moderators

Driving through Houston is no fun.  We’ve done it many times when our son and family lived there.  San Antonio is easier but can be slow at rush hour.  As far as Texas State Parks go, most are very good.  Between Austin and NOLA we’ve stayed at Village Creek SP, Lake Livingston SP, Caddo Lake SP, and Stephen F Austin SP.  We’ve heard that Bastrop SP is nice.  Any of the COE parks should also be nice.  Mike

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks, Mike, for the suggestions! I’ll check them out. Meanwhile, we’ve had a perfectly lovely stay at Bayou Segnette State Park conveniently located 20 minutes from New Orleans. Since it’s a state park, you’re supposed to call before 48 hours of your arrival through the park booking system to get a reservation. We had no problem getting a spot this time of year just driving in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this Mike and Carol.  We are taking a similar route in January we will leave New Orleans and head directly for Austin.  After that we are going to Waco and Fort Worth.  From there we are heading to Roswell NM.  We appreciate the referrals.  We will take I 10 from New Orleans but will look to go north of Houston if possible on our way to Austin.  Thanks for all the great advice you offer on this Forum. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

In Roswell we like the Red Barn RV Park.  It is very small, maybe 16 sites.  The owner, Leigh, is very nice and helpful.  We stop there when we travel to Durango to see our son. 

Just south of Waco is a very nice state Park, Mother Neff State Park.  It has to be one of the nicest state parks we’ve stayed at.  We’ve been there many times, it’s a good stop for an overnight before we head the rest of the way home.  It’s the first Texas state park, gifted by the mother of Governor Neff in the early 1900s when her son was Texas governor.

I would avoid Houston and take the back roads to Austin from Louisiana.  It’s probably not much slower but more interesting.  

We’ll be leaving in a few weeks to head west to Arizona!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks for the help and suggestions we are also heading to AZ. Tucson then north to the Grand Canyon then on to southern Utah, 4 corners then south to route 66 east, home via Memphis and Nashville on to the Blue Ridge Parkway and skyline drive.  We are in the Smokey Mountains now and off to Honenwald for service Monday.  Then to Naples Florida before heading to New Orleans.   Lots of exploring this winter.  Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.  

• Like 3

Mattnan,

Don’t forget to explore the options of County or City Parks if you’re looking for a place to stop for a night, I can think of a couple that are in the general vicinity of where you are headed..

East of Houston there is one in Winnie Tx we stayed at off 10.. There is one in San Jon NM on 40 just west of the NM/TX state line. We’ve stayed at both and will again if the timing is right.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg