Stock mattresses using a wool topper

John Welte

Hi all,  we're down to less than a month away from needing to finalize options.   Has anyone just gone with the stock mattresses and put a wool topper or another topper on it.   We use a firm mattress at home so this might be both cheaper and lighter for those times that a mattress has to be lifted to work on valves, etc.   I understand the latex mattress is comfortable but it's heavy. 

Thanks,  John Welte

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Hi John,  

I don't have the standard mattress,  I have the older KTT mattress.  It is the most comfortable mattress I have slept on.  We have a firm mattress at home and I put a 1" foam egg crate foam under the mattress cover. I love going camping because of the comfort.   If you decide to go with the standard mattress and do the wool topper and don't like it,  there are a couple of custom mattress shops in Portland that could make something for you.  And yes the only complaint about the latex is the it is really heavy. it is like moving a 60 pound wet noodle that is 6ft long.

Do make sure you get the hypervent under the mattresses.  In my opinion it is a must in the in the Northwest.  I you are a summer camper only it's not really needed.   If you go camping in the winter you will need it.  We go camping as long as we can safely get to the beach in the winter weather and it is really easy to get the moisture on the walls. We have vents open and pushing a small amount of air through the Oli all winter long to keep the moisture in control.  Thought about doing a Dehumidifier next winter.

Thanks,

Bob  Sweethome, OR

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

I love my KTT mattress. It is as comfortable as the mattress we have at home.

Here in the Northeast it is humid in the summer and not in the winter.

I reallly recommend the hypervent under the mattress (amd even the cushions at all time particularily those times that are humid. I bought my hypervent on line, cut it to size and installed it myself.

We also have a small dehumidifier which I use in the summer months.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I'm a month away from having to finalize my options, too, so I bet we're taking delivery around the same time.  I already have the upgraded mattresses on my options list.  I've slept on the standard RV mattress with a mattress topper before, and am looking forward to a much more comfortable mattress and better nights sleep.  They are pricey, and I'm sure heavy, but to me they're worth it.

• Like 4

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

We purchased a 4" memory foam mattress from Walmart $150.00 king/queen, can't remember, but cut down the middle half of the factory mattress size and shortened it a bit, then rounded the ends to fit on top of the factory stock mattress. We are very happy with this comb, find it comfortable, so it works well for us. We had this foam mattress in our Casita for a short time and moved it to our twin bed Elite II and so far we sleep great. I'm not sure if this is called a mattress topper or not.

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

14 hours ago, AZ Wonderer said:

I'm a month away from having to finalize my options, too, so I bet we're taking delivery around the same time.  I already have the upgraded mattresses on my options list.  I've slept on the standard RV mattress with a mattress topper before, and am looking forward to a much more comfortable mattress and better nights sleep.  They are pricey, and I'm sure heavy, but to me they're worth it.

Our delivery date is November 7 so we're getting our options list figured out.   Maybe we'll see you in Tennessee! 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png