Weak Wheels?

When we had them off getting the new tires put on this week, I happened to take a close look at the 15" wheels that came with our Oliver.

They are stamped on the inside with "Do Not Exceed 60psi" and "Max Load 1900 lbs".

This seems to be under-specced for a trailer of the Oliver's overall weight and 5000lb axle. The original tires were able to be inflated up to 65psi, higher than the wheel they came mounted on... That seems an odd mismatch to me.

Has anyone else checked out the specs on their wheels? Do we all have the same?

How much of a cause for concern is this? A bit of Googling seems to reveal a lot of people happily ignoring and exceeding the pressure rating on their wheels, at least for truck tires...

Thoughts?

- Chris

• Moderators

It is important to match wheel and tire. Unfortunately, most of that info is stamped on the inside of the wheel, and not apparent unless you look or specify.

It's also important to remember that a certain portion of the weight of the trailer is transferred to the tongue.

1900x2 is 3800 on the axle. Our tongue weight is about 400 lbs., our trailer, loaded, is around 3900 pounds. Leaves us a 10% or so margin of safety. I'm ok with that.

If we routinely carried 5000 pounds, (taking the rock collection along...), we'd upgrade the wheels. The 5200 pound axle, for us, is overkill, but provides, I guess, another margin of safety.

Our duro tires now have over 27,000 miles on them. I'd like to replace them with the same, as we've had good experience. By the time we get home and have time to wait for a special order, we're likely in the 30,000 mile range on these tires. No complaints so far.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I recently replaced my chrome rims and noticed the same thing, they were on the light side. Also they had a sticker that mention use on a Suziki. I bought new aluminim rims, since I was not impressed with the quality of the chrome job on the others. I made sure I got rims to the proper load rating for the trailer, never knew that before. I tend to like to go for over kill in the tire and rim arena, so as others have said like got more than I need.

Currently running on Maxxis 16" Load Range E. Again likely over kill, but if you do some research on trailer tires, you will find that many are not intended for sun up to sun down driving in high temperatures. We often cover 1400 miles in a couple of days on our trips, so I want the extra safety. I don't have enought miles on the Maxxis yet to give a good report on wear and if they are worth the extra price.

Greetings to All,

I have BCTJK 42 ST225/75/R15 Radial Tubeless Load E original tires with 6 lugs. So far so good but I haven't been able to travel much yet to experience any trouble.

The only identification on the axle is a partial American flag tag that is still attached. Might this be a Freedom axle? The circumference is 9.5 " so I divided this by 3.14" to get a 3" diameter. I placed a yardstick on the top of the axle. Both ends of the yardstick were raised about 1/4" or a little more off the axle. Does this indicate a slightly bent axle? It seems so but it could be just my imagination because of the discussion about tires and axles. Any thoughts of wisdom?

• Moderator+

Jam49, you have the 5200 pound Freedom Axle, probably this one:

apparently with camber built in (due to the slight "hump" in the middle.) I think you're fine.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hi Mr Kiefer!

Did you get the Maxxis ST trailer tires or the LT truck tires?? Both will give great service...the ST are limited to 65 mph. Finding with the dual axles on the Evergreen that the ST (special trailer) will resist scuffing and sidewall pressure from tight turns better than LT tires. This is not a factor on the single axle Olivers as they just follow behind like good little tires! ;) We'll be back in FL mid Nov to March, maybe we can get together.

Chuck 8-)

I have the trailer tires. The 65 mph rating is no issue here since anything of 60 just isn't comfortable when hauling just about anything. I often wonder what those driver are thing that pass me doing 70 or better with trailers.

Send me a message if you get around Dade City while your in the state.

I have the trailer tires. The 65 mph rating is no issue here since anything of 60 just isn't comfortable when hauling just about anything. I often wonder what those driver are thing that pass me doing 70 or better with trailers.

Send me a message if you get around Dade City while your in the state.

• 2 weeks later...

The 65 mph rating is no issue here since anything of 60 just isn't comfortable when hauling just about anything. I often wonder what those driver are thing that pass me doing 70 or better with trailers.

FYI - The factory folks used to brag that Jim would regularly tow Oliver's across country at 95mph. *zoom*

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, to answer your question regarding the wheels (as opposed to the tires), the 15" wheels that Oliver sent with the 5200 lb. axle to replace our original axle say that "maxload" is "6H/2540 LBS." Also stamped on the inside of our wheels is what I take to be the size specification: "T15 x 6JJ DOT OFFSET 0." Nothing is stamped on the wheels regarding a maximum tire pressure. These are six-lug wheels.

The replacement wheels that Oliver sent are Trail America brand, ST225/75/R15 Load Range D. The maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls of these tires is 65 psi, and that is where I keep it.

I make it my practice to have my standard cruising speed be 55 mph, which is the legal limit in California for towing vehicles. I may occasionally exceed that going downhill on straight-aways when driving in another state with a higher speed limit, but I return to 55, as soon as the road levels out. Just don't feel safe and under control going as fast as some folks.

Steve