Awning adjustment

Where do I need to start to adjust this correctly.  Do I need to adjust the positions of where the arms attach to the outer rail or is this caused by something else? I want to have an idea before I start messing with it.

Thanks,

John

IMG_4312.thumb.jpeg.01d603506195bb2825d2082666cb759d.jpeg

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

John, 

I had the same issue with my awning.  There is a small allen-head screw that needs a quarter to half turn that will likely fix your awning to close all the way.  I believe the screw gets turned clockwise but this detail is in the Girard manual for sure.

I would try this first before adjusting anything else.  Mine looked like yours in that it wouldn't close all the way.  I made a very small adjustment to that allen-head screw and now my awning retracts completely.

• Like 6

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

13 hours ago, connor77 said:

John, 

I had the same issue with my awning.  There is a small allen-head screw that needs a quarter to half turn that will likely fix your awning to close all the way.  I believe the screw gets turned clockwise but this detail is in the Girard manual for sure.

I would try this first before adjusting anything else.  Mine looked like yours in that it wouldn't close all the way.  I made a very small adjustment to that allen-head screw and now my awning retracts completely.

Same thing happed to us as well.  I did exactly what conner77 did.  All's well after 2 1/2 months.

Best of luck,

John

• Like 4

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, New2Oliver said:

Thanks.  Mine is identical on this end.  The opposite end seems to be snugged up OK.  Does anyone have anything more specific on the tool?  SAE?  Metric?  Size?

This manual was downloaded from the Oliver University, which is in the Owner Resources section.  It looks like the answer to solving your issue begins on page 30.  

Girard Awning.pdf

Good luck,

Mossey

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 hours ago, mossemi said:

This manual was downloaded from the Oliver University, which is in the Owner Resources section.  It looks like the answer to solving your issue begins on page 30.  

Girard Awning.pdf 4.37 MB · 0 downloads

Good luck,

Mossey

Thanks.  4 mm. 

Ken and Sherrill, Middle TN

Elite 2, #1085

2007 GMC, 4x4, LBZ/Allison

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing the same issue with my awning. I have gone through the instructions, but I am having trouble with step 4, which instructs me to locate the motor. However, I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Nothing on my awning looks like the picture of the motor shown in the manual.  Will someone give me a hint, please?  I have a 2022 LE2.

4. Extend the awning a few feet to gain access to the motor. Locate the motor. The limit adjustment screws are located on the head of the motor. Using the symbols printed next to the adjustment screws, turn the black key (or 4mm Allen wrench) to make the necessary adjustments. The motors are labeled with a + or a – to indicate the adjustment direction.

David & Kim | Chattanooga, TN | 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 6.4 | Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull# 1213

OllietimeCanadianProvinces.jpg.1e1f1e5bcc91acfa35375b7652b3b852.jpgOllietime US States.jpg

On 1/18/2024 at 3:52 PM, Ollietime said:

I am experiencing the same issue with my awning. I have gone through the instructions, but I am having trouble with step 4, which instructs me to locate the motor. However, I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Nothing on my awning looks like the picture of the motor shown in the manual.  Will someone give me a hint, please?  I have a 2022 LE2.

4. Extend the awning a few feet to gain access to the motor. Locate the motor. The limit adjustment screws are located on the head of the motor. Using the symbols printed next to the adjustment screws, turn the black key (or 4mm Allen wrench) to make the necessary adjustments. The motors are labeled with a + or a – to indicate the adjustment direction.

Hi Ollietime,

My 2022 Hull 996 has the Girard as well.  It has a fwd end cap and an aft end cap.  I took off only the fwd end cap, you'll see 2 ss screws on the end cap.  I don't remember if there are any on top of the end cap.  With the end cap removed I found the adjustment screw and rotated it half way in one direction, which made the problem worse.  So I went back to the original position and rotated the screw half turn in the other direction and it was good to go.  You may need more or less of an adjustment to get yours adjusted to your satisfaction.  One word of caution...adjust in small increments as the motor must shut off automatically and you don't want the motor to continue running when the awning is fully retracted as you can burn up the motor.  As I recall, I contacted Girard and they walked me through it.  Best of luck :)

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Ollietime,

Just for clarification, my problem was on the fwd end (hitch end) of the awning.  The rear appeared to be ok throughout the process.  If your issue is on the rear end my suggestion may not  work for you, I never removed the rear cap so I don't know if there is an adjustment there as well.  You should be able to contact Girard if need be.  I know their branch in Florida was closed down after their terrible tragedy a couple years ago.

John

We have a similar issue with a manually cranked awning (I believe it’s a Capri).  My guess is that outer end of the hinged arm needs adjustment, probably extended slightly.  I haven’t attempted to fix it while in the RV barn and can’t be fully extended.  Words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
16 hours ago, johnwen said:

You should be able to contact Girard if need be.  I know their branch in Florida was closed down after their terrible tragedy a couple years ago.

I didn’t know Gerard had a Florida branch or that it was closed down.  The Fiamma company makes several different RV accessories including the awning on our 2017 LE2.  The included link has information detailing a 2017 workplace shooting at their factory in Orlando, FL.

Mossey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_factory_shooting

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/20/2024 at 9:30 AM, mossemi said:

I didn’t know Gerard had a Florida branch or that it was closed down.  The Fiamma company makes several different RV accessories including the awning on our 2017 LE2.  The included link has information detailing a 2017 workplace shooting at their factory in Orlando, FL.

Mossey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_factory_shooting

You are absolutely right Mossey, I don't know how that last sentence in my last post popped into my head.....a very senior moment :classic_blush:

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, johnwen said:

You are absolutely right Mossey, I don't know how that last sentence in my last post popped into my head.....a very senior moment :classic_blush:

Just wait until you get old!😉  It was a terrible incident and close enough to home that I do remember when it happened.

Mossey

• Like 2