Security and battery risk! Change your VictronConnect log in password from the default setting !!

The app is very useful and reasonably easy to use in practice, for monitoring the solar and batteries performance.

IMG_3032.thumb.png.c91601405139f2bc317e13eadbb86c74.png

The settings however are confusing, and you should always, ALWAYS refer to guidance from your battery manufacturer. These settings optimize performance and battery life and should never be altered randomly.

For example, for my two 100 AH Battle Borns:

IMG_3016.thumb.png.b8d5ab2e4219f0d6ae6a027044a45e75.png

The default log in password is “000000” (six zeros) and this shows every time on the initial page when you open the app. Whenever you do a firmware update, you will get a prompt to change it. Or you can change it any time in the Settings menu. I suggest your birthday; eg 082153.

IMG_3022.thumb.png.1a3c1fdc3049b95ddfc6bfda12e1308d.png

If you camp by yourself all the time it won’t really matter, but in crowded commercial campgrounds, it can be potentially hazardous! A nearby clueless coach owner may see your device or network and connect to it. If he sees a bunch of different settings, he could panic, thinking “My system has been hacked!” and start changing them!!! The hackee becomes the hacker 😉 This could possibly be very bad and damaging for your expensive system if it involves charging voltage and battery type!

The alarm settings are not as dangerous to your $$$ parts, you can tweek them up or down a little. For example the Low State of Charge buzzer.

IMG_3018.thumb.png.2c450143a41d929a8d59e57fc0bb2175.png

Change the name of your devices to something logical to YOU, such as Oliver Battery Monitor or Rooftop Solar, this will add a layer of defense against your neighbor’s unwanted advances. As a final note, with this knowledge you could wreak havoc on your neighbors if you were feeling mischievous! Please avoid the temptation! And if you know which rig has the 000000 password, you could tell the owner nicely that their system is at risk. Help them alter it and you might get a free doughnut….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• The title was changed to Security and battery risk! Change your VictronConnect log in password from the default setting !!
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
5 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

As a final note, with this knowledge you could wreak havoc on your neighbors if you were feeling mischievous!

HA!  Good one!  🤣

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

That’s great advice. My concern is that I can’t find a way to change add a password to my lithionics batteries, or xantrex apps to protect them as well. Both are easily accessed from their respective phone apps.  Does anyone have any insight as to how to protect these devices as well?

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I think I may have posted this before, but @John E Davies is absolutely correct.  

Walking down any marina pier, anyone with the victron app can see everything on those folks with victron gear, who don't change passwords and rename network. One of my friends in the marine industry jokes about it all the time. He sees it often, as Victron is so very popular in the marine world, and so few bother to change the initial password.

Change the name to something innocuous, as John suggested, but even more unidentifiable,  imo. (My battery monitor, or my  charger, or the digits and a few letters in your home street address, etc.) I wouldn't identify my type of unit. I certainly wouldn't put the word "lithium" in there, ever.)

And change that password!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

11 hours ago, Rolind said:

I can’t find a way to change add a password to my lithionics batteries

I updated my Lithionics firmware this spring. After that I was able to set up a PIN for the batteries. Really wish I could do that for the Xantrex, too.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg