Jensen DVD anomalies

GraniteStaters

My wife and I rarely use the Jensen TV and DVD so we have learned about it as we experience issues along the way.  I have a couple of things to share with the group.  Most of us have had to use the reset option on the Radio/DVD to correct anomalies.  We recently ran into an issue with play back of a DVD movie, actually two movies.  We set the source to AV on the TV using the TV remote and we had sound right up until we hit play on the DVD menu.  After trying multiple times, and trying another DVD, we finally remembered to do a reset of the Radio/DVD player and Voila, everything returned to normal except I lost all AM/FM presets and the time setting. 

Another issue I ran into awhile back was not being able to scan for channels.  After much trial and error, I realized that the source needed to be set to TV before that item on the menu would be available to select after hitting the menu button on the TV remote.

Finally, I sleep on our twin bed with my head adjacent to the aft.  The TV power LED is always on when the TV is off if it has power.  The blue LED is quite distracting so we simply unplug the power cable on our TV and only plug it in when we need to use it.  I shared this with an Oliver owner at the Maine Oliver Rally in this year and discovered on the older units that have the Jensen TV, the power is on the back of the lower right of the TV as opposed to our TV where the power cable can be accessed on the upper left of the TV.

One less suggestion, the Omni Antenna isn't only used for the TV.  It also improves reception on FM on the Jensen Radio.  If you get an intermittent weak signal, and can afford the power usage, turn on the Omni the attic and see if it improves reception like it does for our 2019 LEII.

• Like 4

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

David & Paula - 

I'll add another "thing" to watch for:

If you use a USB stick for music (and I assume for video), the older units are limited to something between 2 and 6 gigs before they can no longer handle any greater capacity.  Yes, you can still use a larger USB stick, but, you can put any more than something between the 2 to 6 gig on that stick and have it work/load properly.

To help get around this issue, I bought a bunch of 8 gig USB mini sticks (like THESE) and placed different types of music on each one (i.e. country, pop, classical, movies, nature, spa, etc.).  Depending on my mood I get the music stick of choice, put it in and then hit the random button and rock on.

Bill

p.s.  larger amounts of data will not actually "hurt" anything - they will simply not load thus leaving the player and TV just sitting there looking at you until you take that USB stick out. 

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

21 hours ago, topgun2 said:

David & Paula -

To help get around this issue, I bought a bunch of 8 gig USB mini sticks (like THESE) and placed different types of music on each one (i.e. country, pop, classical, movies, nature, spa, etc.).  Depending on my mood I get the music stick of choice, put it in and then hit the random button and rock on.

Topgun,

I like the Idea of the small USB drives.  Great work around. I will give it a try. It is really weird when the Jensen hits its limit and just makes weird digital noise and is just stuck their.

I have a strange thing that happened a couple of times.  We always listen to music from the USB.  The Oliver has been in the RV port (in storage) and the Jensen has turned on a few times by itself and playing music from the USB.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 2008RN said:

The Oliver has been in the RV port (in storage) and the Jensen has turned on a few times by itself and playing music from the USB.

So - 

No one told you about the Ghost of Ollie Past?😇

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Do you think perhaps you accidentally set an alarm, causing the music to play "on its own?"

My husband does this occasionally on his phone. Or, forgets to turn off the daily alarm setting,  and I'm up at 3 or 4 am, searching for his phone...

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:15 AM, topgun2 said:

If you use a USB stick for music (and I assume for video), the older units are limited to something between 2 and 6 gigs before they can no longer handle any greater capacity.  Yes, you can still use a larger USB stick, but, you can put any more than something between the 2 to 6 gig on that stick and have it work/load properly.

Topgun,

How are you storing the MP3 files.  In multiple directory structures, or all files just put on the USB drive without any directory structures?

Every stereo (car or home) I have purchased in the last 13 years, told you how many total gigs that you can use, also how many directories/ files the stereo could handle.  This seems like the Jensen technology is from around  2010-2013 the way it acts,and they tell you nothing of the parameters for the files systems.  I have stereos that could only have 256 files or 512 files in a single directory,  but might allow 64 directory structures with a total of 8 or 16 Gigs.  The last stereo I bought in 2021 will do what ever a NTFS file system will handle on a SD card. with the limitation of 128gig, I believe.  I am not sure, but I think I  put around 500 files per directory structure and filled up a 16gb USB drive with a fat32 files system.  On  the Jensen I do playback in random mode. 

I'm going out next week for 8 days.  I thing I will try to play around with some file parameters and start by stay under 6gb and see what happens.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Since I've already "sorted" the music into the categories noted above on separate USB sticks, I felt no need to further sort by artist or album.  Generally, even though the individual files are not "sorted" they do come in sequence by artist because I tend to have each artist separated on my home computer.  So, even though I play music using the random function I could play all the songs of one artist at a time. 

I understand your comments about the Jensen limits on capacity.  I only found out about this because I could not figure out why I couldn't load a USB stick and emailed Jensen thinking that I was doing something wrong.  Since that was eight years ago I've lost the actual email from them which is the reason I was not more specific with the numbers in my post above.  But, since I'm happy with the solution I found, I really didn't care to investigate further.

Bill

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 6:24 AM, topgun2 said:

I understand your comments about the Jensen limits on capacity.  I only found out about this because I could not figure out why I couldn't load a USB stick and emailed Jensen thinking that I was doing something wrong.  Since that was eight years ago I've lost the actual email from them which is the reason I was not more specific with the numbers in my post above.  But, since I'm happy with the solution I found, I really didn't care to investigate further.

Bill

First of all,

I was looking at the file system on my USB drive. I put it back in my Jensen and it started to play and locked up all button. I could not stop it. I have never had the deck lock up before. So I went back to my 2020 Oliver manual for the Jensen manual to see how reset the the deck.  I noticed when I found the manual the part number was JWM40.  My deck is a JWM41.  So I download the manual for the JWM41.   Food for Thought, the manuals that Oliver includes may not be the exact model that you have.

What I found  in the new manual was some info of some filesystem specs. Note these limits mayor may not work on differing models. I was going to contact directly to get the specs on my model, but now I do not have to.

Maximum number of file folders: 512

Maximum of file folder levels:  12

Maximum number of MP3 files: 999

Maximum file name characters: 32

Maximum  ID3 tag characters: 32

I have setup 2 USB  drives.  One with less than 999 MP3 files. The other with file names and ID3 tags larger than 32 characters.

I am going to test this over the next 8 days of camping.  I want to see what type of problems I run into with larger names. The other just to make sure it does not lock up.  I am not going to do random on either drive.  I just what it to play from beginning to end with it's own sorting pattern.