Yakima bike rack lights

John Welte

Does anyone have an idea how to form a flat four way connector from the licence plate light wires on the back of the Ollie?  The tv has the four-way connector as well as the seven pin connector.  We're going in for service on October 30 and I mounted the light kit on the Yakima Stage 2 bike rack.  I am guessing that the license plate lighting would not have the capability to power the brake, turning, and hazard lights.  OTT will look at the wiring needed.  Somehow I am guessing they'll need to run a 4-way from the tv to the back of the trailer to enable the light kit to do all the normal functions.  Has anyone else done something similar?  Does the wire go underneath from the hitch to the bumper?  Does it somehow go between the hulls?  TIA, John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

John, rather than splice into trailer wiring, the previous owner of our trailer ran a second circuit from the tow vehicle to the back of the Oliver.  It’s for the storage box on the back, and there is a quick disconnect for the box.  Wiring is under the hull.

There is a down side to this approach, both he and I had to cut an opening into the door of the TV 4 pin to connect the new flat four circuit. I’m probably going to build a new jumper that comes off the TV 7 pin, and splits to a 7 and 4 so I can better weather protect the TV connection.   If you would like, I can take photos for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

1 hour ago, John Welte said:

I am guessing that the license plate lighting would not have the capability to power the brake, turning, and hazard lights.

That is a correct guess.

The PO of our rig "sloppily" ran a 4-pin circuit underneath the OTT from the hitch to the bumper for bike rack lights - effective, but not a sanitary modification and we removed it.

FYI:  You can access the OTT 7-pin harness from inside the "garage" after removing the floor - easy to do.  If you don't mind installing a "Clam" fitting or an Anderson connection - you can run your wiring through the hulls.  We did this on our's to install additional LED lighting under our 1UP bike rack.

You can find that post by clicking:  LED Light Bar on Bumper...  It follows @john e Davies instructions noted in Steve's post below.

Good luck, amigo.

Edited by MAX Burner
added information
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

John, this might help. I plan to do this, as I have the license plate relocation kit for the 1UP. It includes turn signals/brakes as well as the license plate light. Another one of John's gems.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

27 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

John, rather than splice into trailer wiring, the previous owner of our trailer ran a second circuit from the tow vehicle to the back of the Oliver.  It’s for the storage box on the back, and there is a quick disconnect for the box.  Wiring is under the hull.

There is a down side to this approach, both he and I had to cut an opening into the door of the TV 4 pin to connect the new flat four circuit. I’m probably going to build a new jumper that comes off the TV 7 pin, and splits to a 7 and 4 so I can better weather protect the TV connection.   If you would like, I can take photos for you.

I have installed this 4 four pin accessory connector in-line and just before the 7pin socket. I don't have a part number but I bought it at a local trailer supply. It is unplug, plug and play. This modification gives you a additional flat 4 pin connector on a pigtail which can be used when the 7pin socket is occupied (since the use of the 7pin often blocks the access to the integrated 4pin socket).   As I recall it was less than $30

7AC71302-222C-4E12-8249-D38A12A877A7.jpeg

BB8CB818-141A-4072-B580-0B2617E0D5DA.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

4 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Yes please.  OTT will be doing the work since they know a lot more than me about wiring.  I am in the information gathering stage to hopefully get the best solution.

John

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

20 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

I have the license plate relocation kit for the 1UP

Hey, @Steve Morris: please keep us posted on how that plate light option offered by 1UP works out; we're thinking about doing the same because the rack pretty much lives on the back of "Casablanca."

Thanks!

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

please keep us posted on how that plate light option offered by 1UP works out

Will do! It probably won't be until after our early October Tearjerkers outing, though.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

6 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

Will do! It probably won't be until after our early October Tearjerkers outing, though.

Ah!  No worries, TKX!

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA

16 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

John, since OTT is doing the work, I don’t think you’ll have any problems at all.  They’re going to do a professional job.

I’ll try and get photos of my installation tomorrow. 

Not much to see here, but as promised, here are a couple of photos.  The first is obvious, the second is the storage box quick disconnect at the back of our Ollie.  

IMG_3962.thumb.jpeg.89f048944170b120f3ce12f4c6e1bc6d.jpegIMG_3963.thumb.jpeg.37fc347c844b83a7672acd4280d2ef42.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

5 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

It took a bit of chasing, but I did find the inline T harness to 4 pin that @Mountainman198 mentioned.  This appears to be a much better solution when compared to poking a hole through the protective cover of the factory connector.IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.00c0b23ba63fb99ed2a9feec056a4336.jpeg

Thanks.  I will run this by service to see if I need to buy this for the wiring job.

John

• Like 1

spacer.png