Texas State Parks

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

Here’s a nice video on the last 100 years of Texas State Parks.  I’m sure most states have a similar history.  We’ve stayed at state parks across the nation and appreciate what they provide.

BTW, H-E-B is a Texas supermarket chain headquartered here in San Antonio.

https://youtu.be/1rHgTkBGv_w?si=qCcsBz99Cxvy1hmU

• Thanks 4
  • Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

That is a nice video. This article reflects the other side of that shiny coin:

https://tex.org/why-federal-and-state-owned-land-is-so-rare-in-texas/

The bottom line started when the early Country of, then the State of Texas, essentially used land as a resource to sell to keep the government operating.

I am glad they are playing catch-up. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_3794.webp

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 7:03 AM, John E Davies said:

That is a nice video. This article reflects the other side of that shiny coin:

https://tex.org/why-federal-and-state-owned-land-is-so-rare-in-texas/

The bottom line started when the early Country of, then the State of Texas, essentially used land as a resource to sell to keep the government operating.

I am glad they are playing catch-up. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_3794.webp

I am so thankful I live in a state that has one of those large swaths of red (public) lands.   I believe it was Edward Abbey who wrote “I’d rather starve in the west, than fatten and flourish in the Siberian east”.  I’m not sure about the starve part, but I certainly appreciate the elbow room.

John, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators

Florida state parks have a 50 per cent discount, for Florida residents,  from a few days ago, until  January 13.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/florida-state-parks-annual-pass-discount

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...

Great Texas SP video! If I may ask your advice, what Texas SP would you recommend for a one week visit in late March? We are eying Palmetto SP, because it looks so interesting and unique. 

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

ALAZARCACOGAILKSKYMONVNMNCOKSCTNTXUTsm.j

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

Great Texas SP video! If I may ask your advice, what Texas SP would you recommend for a one week visit in late March? We are eying Palmetto SP, because it looks so interesting and unique. 

That’s a tough request, it depends…. There is such a difference in parks in east Texas, west Texas, along the gulf coast, etc.  Palmetto is a good choice.  Others to consider would be Palo Duro Canyon SP near Amarillo and Caprock Canyon SP (lots of Bison).  Davis Mountain SP in west Texas is close to Big Bend NP, Marfa and Alpine.  Mustang Island SP and Goose Island SP on the coast are nice if you like the beach.  In east Texas on the LA border is Caddo Lake SP (only natural lake in Texas), totally different than any other Texas SP.  There are so many more that we’ve been to, it’s hard to make recommendations for just one.  Maybe others will chime in with their experiences and recommendations.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

10 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

Galveston Island SP, Beach campground, Inks Lake SP, Garner SP, McKinney Falls SP, or Mustang Island SP (near Corpus). It will start getting warm in late March or I would throw in Caprock Canyon SP or Palo Duro Canyon SP, both just SE of Amarillo.

We have camped at Palmetto SP, but we would never go back unless there was a group gathering. We go to Galveston Island Beach Campground every March.

I can think of another 5-6 I would go back to before Palmetto every showed back on my radar.

Reminder that Texas SP booking window is 5 months. 

Good Luck

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

10 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

Great Texas SP video! If I may ask your advice, what Texas SP would you recommend for a one week visit in late March? We are eying Palmetto SP, because it looks so interesting and unique

Tough to really just pick one, and its really hard to go wrong with just about any of them. Texas parks and wildlife really does an excellent job at maintaining all of the parks and by my memory ive never really been disappointed with any of them. My personal favorite is lost maples sp for its backcountry camping but its prime attraction is when the maple trees turn in the fall.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

Late March is the perfect time to visit the Texas Hill Country. Inks Lake SP puts you in the triangle with amazing towns to visit. Burnet, Llano (Cooper's BBQ), Marble Falls (Blue Bonnet Cafe and Bear Brewery), and Fredericksburg. So much to do in Fredericksburg (Brewery, German food, Military museum, including George H.W. Bush exhibit.

Lady Bird Johnson and LBJ historic sites around Johnson City, TX.

Best of all of this is you will be in the heart of Blue Bonnet season. Follow the Blue Bonnet Trail, and the Willow City Loop. The drives are beautiful and the Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrush are the frosting on the cake. 

Inks Lake - North Loop, right on the lake, site #88. Though at this late date, the North Loop is probably full.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY