Water in Shower Pan

Am I doing something wrong?  Several times now, we have found water in the shower pan, the latest was today as I was winterizing.  The pan was dry prior to starting winterization and the freshwater tank was empty, but maybe 3 cups in it following running the pump to push RV antifreeze through the lines.  We have the electric drain valve, and it was (to the best of my knowledge) closed.

Cycling the valve, I can hear it actuate, and I assume closed is actually closed, unless there is something clogging the valve.  Both the previous owner and ourselves have rather hairy Wirehair pointing dogs, could that be the issue?  Could it be vibrating open on the road?  Should I cycle the valve prior to using either of the sinks?

Inquiring minds need to know…

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

If the valve is closed, and you put water down the bathroom sink, it will back up into the shower pan. If your valve is open and sink water is still backing up into the shower, I would suspect a clog in the sink drain line downstream of the shower drain.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

16 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

If the valve is closed, and you put water down the bathroom sink, it will back up into the shower pan. If your valve is open and sink water is still backing up into the shower, I would suspect a clog in the sink drain line downstream of the shower drain.

Bingo!  I assumed the bathroom sink drained into the gray tank.  Thank you!

• Like 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

It's an honest mistake you'll only make once.

Just like the ankle high water, when showering, and forgetting to open the valve.

Fortunately,  the valve handle is actually IN the shower are, instead of elsewhere, as in a few other trailers.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I assumed the bathroom sink drained into the gray tank.

Actually - your assumption is correct.  But, as SeaDawg mentions, the valve is located between the shower pan and the grey tank.  This means that when you run water in the bath sink, the water flows towards the grey tank but when it hits that closed valve the water can't flow into the grey tank and, thus, winds up coming up through the drain in the shower pan.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

It's an honest mistake you'll only make once.

I agree that this is an honest mistake.  But, I disagree that you will only do it once - at least if you are anything like me 🤪.  I did this so often that I actually went out and bought a second shower mat so that I could let one dry while I still had one to use.  Of course, once I bought that second mat I've hardy ever had the need to use it.  But, like the good Boy Scout that I used to be - I'm prepared!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

Thanks, @topgun2. I should have been more clear, but I think @Steph and Dud B covered it. The sink doesn't drain "directly" to the grey water tank, as it shares a drain with the shower, and, thus, the valve restricts odors and backup while traveling/jostling, but also means wastewater from the sink has nowhere to go but backing up into the shower, if the valve is closed.

In our boat, our bath hand sink water goes to the toilet. (Water saving/flush help.) In some rvs, sink water goes to black tank. You just have to know where it goes. (as in, I have to remind folks on the boat to make sure the hand sink isn't overflowing the toilet! I installed faucets requiring contact to make sure they were never left running..)

It's all good, once you know your way around.

Former girl scout. Be prepared, for myself, and others. Lol.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

@Wandering Sagebrush, don't be too hard on yourself.  Some of this stuff isn't even in the manual, or it's buried. Or, you heard it and forget.

Wet feet, backed up drain, etc, etc.

I'm guilty of being that loose nut at keyboard, from time to time.

It's all good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

It does drain into the gray tank, but it has to get through that valve first in order to get there.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg