Spilled Water - Problem?

GeoffChapman

We are into our second month with our new to us 2021 LE1, hull 731. So far, wonderful!  And, as you all would know, we are learning fast how to be at home in our Oliver.

On the way into our campsite last night, a Hipcamp site north of Chattanooga, we had 100 yards of rough terrain and our 2 1/2 gallon water storage tank tipped over on the floor under the front dinette. About 11/2 gallons of water disappeared through the floor. I suspect it is in the basement somewhere.

Will it drain through? Should I worry about that? 

We are off to a fast day with family in the region and I won’t be able to attend to it till later tonight if I need to. I’d be glad for any advice.

Geoff

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, GeoffChapman said:

Will it drain through? Should I worry about that? 

There are "scupper" holes in the very bottom of your Oliver which should allow "most" of this water to drain out.

However, if I were you I'd make sure to prop open the "hatches" under your beds and dinette area in order to allow for more air flow therefore drying this area out even faster.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,

I know once water gets into the "inside bottom" it runs out the scupper holes.
But where does it drain to get into that 'inside bottom area", just not seeing it.

We had water on the floor a few times, but for us it was "ALL TOWELLS ON DECK"...

Can water (or maple syrup) get from the floor to the "inside bottom area" from under the refrigerator?

Bryan

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

@topgun2 I am running the furnace for 30 minutes with hatches open prior to leaving for the day, and will prop open the hatches as well. Glad to know there are drainage holes down there somewhere. I knew there were weep holes to drain any moisture that got in between the hulls, but wasn’t sure about the basement itself. Thanks for the quick help. 
Geoff 

15 minutes ago, GeoffChapman said:

I knew there were weep holes to drain any moisture that got in between the hulls, but wasn’t sure about the basement itself.

The "basement" is comprised of the area between the inner and outer hulls at the bottom of the trailer.  Although there are scupper holes for drainage, there are also lots of places where water could pool, in between and under plumbing lines, duct runs, etc.  If you can, I would also place fans in the open hatches for several hours to accelerate evaporation.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, SNY SD UP said:

I know once water gets into the "inside bottom" it runs out the scupper holes.
But where does it drain to get into that 'inside bottom area", just not seeing it.

We had water on the floor a few times, but for us it was "ALL TOWELLS ON DECK"...

Can water (or maple syrup) get from the floor to the "inside bottom area" from under the refrigerator?

Bryon - 

Well - 

While the scupper holes will allow "running water" (perhaps read that to mean "a fair amount of water") to drain, there are still a number of places inside the hulls that will catch the water.  Certainly moving the Ollie up and down (front to back) and side to side such as when you are traveling down the road, will help "release" this water from places where the water can catch or collect.  For what water is left over, the scupper holes provide for air movement between the hulls.  The greater the air movement - the faster the water will evaporate.  Indeed, this is one of the main purposes of these scupper holes - to help remove condensation (water) from between the hulls.

Bill

p.s.  Maple syrup is probably another story give its viscosity and residual it would leave after it evaporates.  Read the thread about the leaking sewer hoses and cleaning  what was left over after the leak.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SNY SD UP said:

Interesting question - 

As we all know - our hulls are made in a fashion similar to a boat.  As such, there are limited places that something like water can run from the inner bottom shell down into the outer bottom shell.  However, there certainly are places where this can happen as can be seen in the pics below.  But, certainly a hole in the shell can be easily seen in the one picture and it just so happens this hole is located under the fridge where I assume the propane and electric lines are run.  Note that this picture is looking from the outside into the area under the kitchen sink.  Water can also get between the shells in places like where the entrance door is located.

I've also included a picture of the bottom outside shell in order to see all those places where water just might collect.

For those unfamiliar with "Scupper holes" on the Oliver, they can be seen by looking under any Oliver while looking for stainless steel cups or cones that open towards the rear of the Oliver.  These pieces actually create a "venturi effect" while driving down the road which draws air out from between the inner and outer shells thus helping dry any moisture that may be in between the shells.

Bill

2015-07-07 12.07.59.jpg

2015-07-07 12.01.18.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Maple syrup is probably another story

Oh, yes. We have a maple syrup story, but it was in our kitchen instead of the Oliver. A mess that keeps on giving!

• Wow 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Geoff, et. al.,

This is something I started doing after loosing a couple of 2 liter bottles of water that dislodged in a bundle of 4 and started to roll around on the floor and slide into the gentle rounded corners on the inside of the trailer (and still rupture and leak...) as we were merrily rolling along through the NWT & YT this last summer.

I got a couple of milk crates and put them in the Dinette footwell, behind the table support tube on the street side of the dinette.  They insert best by removing the cushions and sliding them in empty from the top.  once in, they self adjust so they are both held in the area by the table center pole.

We now keep (4) large bottles of water in one, and maybe some other soda/water bottles/cans in the other side.  We have not had any issues since I decided to do this.
After reading the "LP/CO Detector" section of our manual about placing something in front of the unit that may impede the ability to function as it does, the milk crates should not be a problem.  Read the section of the product manual which addresses what liquids that you should not store next to the "LP/CO Detector".

B~Out

BasketsunderDinnette.jpeg.69ee6062925f5823dad4b852de65427d.jpeg

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

@SNY SD UP That would have prevented my spill. Great solution! On my  LE1 I have the furnace intake vents down there which need free flow, but some kind of container should work. Thx!  For now my aux water tank will be traveling on the shower floor, strapped to the vanity  

Geoff

Oh, this was a re-active project, not a pro-active one...

We have a LE II, I am not familiar with the foot well on an LE I.

Would your aux water tank fit in the foot well, and could you then put a bungee around the aux water tank and the post?  keeping it near the post and not blocking air returns?

B~Out,