Cat scale numbers, how is hitch weight figured

John Welte

Hi all math whizzes.  I took the tv and trailer through twice.  First time with the Anderson hooked up.  Second time without and third time with the tv only.  Does anyone know if doing those three weighs will give me the hitch weight and the trailer weight.  Here are the numbers:

1st weigh-  steer axle 3120, drive axle 4260, trailer axle 5840. Gross weight 13220

2nd weigh-  steer axle 3080, drive axle 4340, trailer axle 5800, gross weight 13220

3rd weigh-  steer axle 3380, drive axle 3400, gross weight 6780

The tv is a 2017 Ford Expedition.  Missing from the tv was my wife at 140 pounds and maybe 100 pounds of cooler and drinking water.  The fuel tank was full as well as the fresh water tank.  Black and gray were empty.  Thanks for any help.  Have a great week all.

John 

• Thanks 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

John, did you punch those numbers into the spread sheet I emailed you? If yes it will show the hitch/tongue and trailer weight. 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

25 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

John, did you punch those numbers into the spread sheet I emailed you? If yes it will show the hitch/tongue and trailer weight. 

I will do that.  I have been busy with two grandsons under the age of two.  Diaper changes, bottles, cleaning up, etc.

John

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I could be wrong with my calculations, but it looks like your TV weight went up 600-620 pounds when hooked up which makes your tongue weight (600-620).

Interestingly, the anderson shifts about 40 pounds from the rear TV axle to the front TV axle and shifts 20 pounds from the rear axle of the TV to the trailer axles (I thought it would be more than that), but...there you have it. 

Trailer weighed in at 6440 pounds

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

7 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

I could be wrong with my calculations, but it looks like your TV weight went up 600-620 pounds when hooked up which makes your tongue weight (600-620).

Interestingly, the anderson shifts about 40 pounds from the rear TV axle to the front TV axle and shifts 20 pounds from the rear axle of the TV to the trailer axles (I thought it would be more than that), but...there you have it. 

Trailer weighed in at 6440 pounds

Albert, thanks for the math.  We have been in Denver for six days helping our daughter care for her two sons, 2 months old and 19 months old while her husband was in Italy for work.  Lots of work taking care of those little guys.  He's back now and we're heading to Hohenwald by the 29th.  Thanks again.  

John

spacer.png

7 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

That can be tweaked by tightening the chains. On my setup 200lb is moved from the drive axle to the steer axle and 140lb from the drive axle/tongue weight to trailer axles. 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

1 hour ago, rich.dev said:

That can be tweaked by tightening the chains.

Excellent point - great way to tweak the load fore/aft depending on your load-out for a particular trip.  We target roughly 6 threads behind each of the Anderson chain adjustment nuts. We start there then tweak as needed.  To get a good idea of actual tongue weight we use one of these - real easy to get a quick data point; especially if you're configured differently than the previous trip (tank levels, bikes, etc.).

Screenshot2023-10-23at09_46_55.thumb.png.f0227c9c596382fad1d63bcc7e9e6da7.png

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

6 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We target roughly 6 threads behind each of the Anderson chain adjustment nuts

I usually have it at 7 or 8 threads 

• Like 1

Truma water heater & AC

On 10/23/2023 at 5:56 AM, MAX Burner said:

To get a good idea of actual tongue weight we use one of these - real easy to get a quick data point; especially if you're configured differently than the previous trip (tank levels, bikes, etc.).

This past Summer while visiting at Max Burner's lovely home, Art asked what I thought my tongue weight was.  I guessed 600+ pounds.  He whipped out his tongue gauge.  I was pleasantly surprised that our Ollie's tongue weight was just 540 pounds.  Really good info to know.  Excellent tool to bring to any Ollie gathering!  

image.png.5f763928ac234bdc22d37edef17d1ce5.png

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg