SOS Year In Review

• Moderators

THIS is the Garmin 2023 SOS Year In Review link.

While I firmly believe in satellite SOS devices for those of us that often travel in places that do not have cell phone coverage, and I personally have a Garmin InReach device, the purpose of the link is to gain knowledge as to the kinds of activities and places where these activities take place such that we can be better prepared in the event we need help.  There is some really interesting data contained in this fairly brief report.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
51 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

THIS is the Garmin 2023 SOS Year In Review link.

While I firmly believe in satellite SOS devices for those of us that often travel in places that do not have cell phone coverage, and I personally have a Garmin InReach device, the purpose of the link is to gain knowledge as to the kinds of activities and places where these activities take place such that we can be better prepared in the event we need help.  There is some really interesting data contained in this fairly brief report.

Bill

Last summer I traveled to West Texas on my first ‘solo’ Oliver adventure, Davis Mountains SP to be exact. I purchased an inReach to carry with to lessen my wife’s concern of my personal safety in the event of an accident or other event, and ability to communicate due to weak cell service. The plan I choose can be suspended to lessen the cost; the SAR insurance was purchased, as well. Prior to our next adventure, I will purchase the insurance coverage for my wife. Here’s a couple pics of me hiking on and off the trail in 110° heat, note the inReach on my right hip. 

IMG_4282.thumb.jpeg.41062ff5d803687b74658a00be361f64.jpeg

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.6ddcd26ac926d245fb76099669664af1.jpeg

• Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderators

Ron - 

I don't consider the "total" costs associated with the Garmin to be inexpensive - $300 plus for the unit, $35 or so per year and then another $35 or so per month for the months you use it.

However, given the places I tend to travel (i.e. the further out you go, generally the less people you'll encounter) and the fact that I usually do this travel alone, there are not too many ways to call for help and/or let family know where you are located.

Also, there are features that come with the Garmin that let friends follow along on the adventure, allow me to keep track of "special" spots and hikes and fishing places.  I can also plan trips, mark gas stations, possible boondocking spots, attractions, etc.  I can also get up to date weather reports and even send/receive messages.

The more I've used it the better I like it and feel that the price is certainly worth the features and the knowledge that the family can contact me or vise versa no matter where I'm located.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, topgun2 said:

However, given the places I tend to travel (i.e. the further out you go, generally the less people you'll encounter) and the fact that I usually do this travel alone, there are not too many ways to call for help and/or let family know where you are located.

Ditto on my life. 

Last year we lost a paraglider pilot out in the desert.  He did not have a Satellite Tracker.  He died out there, over 100 miles off of the expected route.  There were way over 200 S&R folks involved.  That said, we do not need to be very far from people to not be easily found.  In his case, his injuries were severe, but had we known where to look he certainly would have survived.

Expensive? Not in the least.  So especially if you are a pilot, travel alone, hike in mountains, or mountain bike (Just to name a few ways) remember you can cover some ground.  If you get hurt the S&R folks will not have a good chance of finding you in time.   

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

We have Kenwood w/ Garmin heads in two family vehicles. I may have to buy another or move one into the Oliver TV at some point. Until then, Avenza Maps on all family phones!

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!