-
Posts
177 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Everything posted by Todd B
-
New F-250 XLT Options Specific to Oliver Towing
Todd B replied to GregCA's topic in Towing an Oliver
We have had our F250 7.3 for a few years now. It has been great for towing. We are in the PNW area so are going up and down mountains all the time. I will not claim it is as good as a diesel, because it is not, but it has handled 8% grades well with downshifting of the 10 speed transmission. The extra payload has also been great as our bed is full and I try to not let our second row become an example of "Oh, what a mess back there!" 🙂 I would also recommend the 4x4. I like the extra alternator for DC-DC. We don't have either, and have not needed that level of quick charging. We are coming off 9 days off grid running inverter for starlink and laptops working all day and batteries are at 75% still (we have had good sun as well). After 9 days we need to hit FHU to reset tanks, do laundry, and top off batteries anyway. -
Final day in Yellowstone. It has been a great trip. Spent the last week in Slough Creek Campground in the northeast section of the park. Wildlife has been sparse outside of Bison and Pronghorn. 9 days off grid and Ollie did even better then expected. Running the inverter all day during the week to power laptop and Starlink (I know I need to do the DC mod) for work. Batteries are at 70% still (we have had sun most days). And fresh water at 40% with showers every other day! We have been very pleased. @jd1923 Crowds have been pretty good. I have not been here in summer for the peak but traffic has been easy (minus Bison jams of course). The major attractions on the weekends get busy between 11-3pm. But outside those windows they slow down. After 5 parking lots a near empty. We pulled into Old Faithful area on a Thursday 15 mins before she was due to erupt and walked right in and got a seat on the bench. Lots and Lots of international tourists. We had fairy falls all to ourselves for about 30 mins on a Friday.
-
Truma CP plus Reset Procedure
Todd B replied to Tony and Rhonda's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
If on shore power I would try a a reset of the CP. Go to Gear icon, press button -> scroll to "reset" and press -> you will see "pr reset", press button. UI will flicker. -
Truma CP plus Reset Procedure
Todd B replied to Tony and Rhonda's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
Are you on shore power or have the inverter on? If you don’t have one of these the AC will not show as it does not have enough power to run it. That is when we see the AC not show in the CP panel (we inverter is off and we are not plugged in). -
4 nights at Henry’s Lake in Island Park ID. Before heading into Yellowstone. Great park and every sight has a great view. It can get a little windy though.
-
StarLink mini with StarLink router mini.
Todd B replied to 2008RN's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
Correct. @2008RN, I have this adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DP21TD7L?ref_=ppx_hzod_title_dt_b_fed_asin_title_2_0 -
These lists can get really long and temping to buy all the things when you get started. We are in our third year and recently switched over to these for leveling and love them. Put these down and turn on level-mate pro and getting level is easy. Way easier then pulling on and off different sets of blocks.
-
StarLink mini with StarLink router mini.
Todd B replied to 2008RN's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
I have really liked our Starlink mini when traveling. I have used it for basic keep in touch stuff all the way to video calls for work. We have even held two wifi based phone calls over Starlink mini while on the standby plan! My setup is still pretty basic. I have a tri-pod I mount it on so I can move it to the best spot and plug it into the side of Ollie. Speed and reliability have been great! As @jd1923 mentioned the ability to switch plans is great. Sometimes I have paid $15 for 50GB of data for the 4 days I needed it (just got lucky with how it hit my billing window). -
Chatted with another owner who reported the same error code in Facebook. They tried the hairdryer hot air blown up the vent. No luck for them 😞 Hard part about switching out is everything is controlled via the Truma control panel. So putting in a new furnace is no small tasks. Will wait until I am closer to mothership to consider an undertaking like that.
-
Hardwire your LevelMate Pro for under a buck!
Todd B replied to Snackchaser's topic in Ollie Modifications
I am surprised so many have had issues with the battery going dead. I have had the same battery for 2 years. There is a setting in the app to tell it to sleep if left on. Maybe that is off for most people? I often forget to turn mine back off after leveling but it always shuts off. There is also a setting to turn on when it detects motion. Make sure that is set to off or it will be one for hours while driving! -
Agree to all that. The shop has been good to work with and I have called Truma a few times as well. But sadly yes, Truma does not allow any internal part of the VarioHeat to be replaced, even by their certified tech. The full unit has to be replaced 😞 It does sound like moisture and corrosion is the main issue with the VarioHeat. One suggestion is to run the heater every couple of weeks to help "dry it out" when high level of moisture /humidity is present. I am curious how you dried out your sensor?
-
@Tom and Doreen did you have the same error code? The part was the combustion sensor. They originally thought it was the room temp sensor which sounds like it can be replaced. The combustion sensor is not sold in the US. I called Truma and they confirmed that for the combustion sensor it requires a new unit 😠The shop found a refurbished unit that comes with a one-year warranty and will install once it shows up. The worst part is RV shows sell the units at their own retail price, which in my case is a 40% markup from Truma's own MSRP! The said they can't adjust their price but did cover the $450 overnight shipping charge to try and make up for it. So we have taken it on the chin in this case for this incident. I just hope Truma stays stable for us now and we can enjoy our long trip.
-
Update for anyone out there wondering. The trailer is in the shop at Bretz RV in WA. Truma needed the issues confirmed by a certified rep, of course. They thought it was part A, and it was confirmed to be part A. However, the shop reached out to order part A, and Truma is saying they don't sell just that part, so now there is a debate about whether we have to buy a new furnace! The warranty is 2 years, and the trailer was built in 2023, so that is nice that it recently expired. At this point, no idea when we will get her back, and we have a departure date of next Saturday for a long long trip. urgh.
-
Thanks @Dennis and Melissa Had a ticket with Oliver and did a call with them. Oliver support did not have an answer. Now working on a ticket with Truma. I saw someone else post about this on Facebook as well. Will report back what we find out.
-
Did a CP control panel reset. No joy.
-
I have not seen this one on the forums before. I have a ticket out to Oilver support, but I thought I would post here in case someone has the "easy button." I also tried Truma, but they are closed for the weekend. At the very least, as I figure it out, it will be here for others to reference. E8H seems to be either a fuse issue or something off with the gas. I have checked the control panel fuse, and it is fine. I cannot find an inline fuse. I have turned the heater off and back on. I have also turned the gas shut-off switch off and then back on. I have even reset the CP control panel. So, no luck. I have verified that gas is flowing, as the water heater works and the stove does as well. I have also verified that the vent to the outside is not obstructed.
-
That is a good A/B test right there. I have not yet pulled the trigger on this, but if/when I do, the "short gutter" looks like the winner.
-
Congratulations and welcome! Your pickup date is so close. What an exciting time!
-
DC-DC Charger Installation - Oliver LE2 and RAM 1500
Todd B replied to Grizz000's topic in Ollie Modifications
I am posting this as educational only, not to start a debate on it. I like it more just to understand what was happening with the alternator when doing DC/DC charging. So, given this thread, I thought others might find the insight useful. Again, not getting into the debate of if it is good or bad but just education on what your alternator is doing. -
We are about to leave on a long adventure where we will be visiting many state and national parks. A friend of mine uses GuideAlong. It has GPS-driven guides for all over the US, including national parks. I know the NPS app also has some self-guided tours with narration for areas of the park. Just wondering if anyone out there has used these much and has experience. My sampling so far has been that GuideAlong has richer narration than the NPS app. We visited Ellis Island a year ago and used the audio tour and found it a much richer experience. So having it for this adventure is very appealing.
-
Happier Camper with LEGO modular interior furnishings
Todd B replied to John E Davies's topic in General Discussion
We looked at these for a while as well. I like them, but for us, they were too utilitarian. -
I often have to travel there for work and try to avoid summer. All my co-workers who live there remind me that the unofficial state bird is the mosquito.
-
Hey, our's was not brand new and it was still really special 😉 Welcome to the clan!
-
On our radar and happens to hit at the tail end of our first, months-long trip south, for winter. Hoping timing will work out and it allows us to make our first Oliver rally!
