fiber board? mdf? what is that stuff?

Anyone know what the name of the material that is used in the basement for mounting electrical components. It is strong and lightweight. Most boating HDPE and marine lumber material is very heavy. Or any ideas for using something else? Trying not to use wood.

M

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Here's an earlier thread on same topic.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

I'm looking for something to glue to the inside lower shell of my trailer to mount (screw) my Victron MPPT controller to.  Anyone know what Oliver uses?  Many items are attached throughout the trailer using that stuff.  It's about 1/2 inch thick and painted? white.  Any help is much appreciated.

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

I think Oliver uses a material that is used by the boating industry called starboard. Others may have the correct name if this isn’t correct. I have used vinyl trim board readily available at Lowe’s and Home Depot in various widths and thickness. I also use an epoxy by Permatex that is very high solvent content and actually melts into both the vinyl board and the fiberglass surface and is much like fiberglass resin.IMG_1106.thumb.jpeg.be9e030bf13b5401c9d6fdad7f025ba0.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 5

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

7 hours ago, johnwen said:

I'm looking for something to glue to the inside lower shell of my trailer to mount (screw) my Victron MPPT controller to.  Anyone know what Oliver uses?  Many items are attached throughout the trailer using that stuff.  It's about 1/2 inch thick and painted? white.  Any help is much appreciated.

John

I always Assumed that Oliver used epoxy. It matches so well with the existing fiberglass epoxy that they use in the shell.  They must use tons of the epoxy.  When I installed my DC-DC charger setup.  I used JB weld.  I sand the fiberglass surface and mating Marine board with 60 grit sandpaper. I then roughly cross hatched both surfaces with either a angle grinder with .060 cutoff wheel, or used a dremel.  I just wanted to make sure it was going to get the best possible adherence. Oliver's joints have been known to fail.  I have had 2 joints fail of what Oliver did at the factory.  I don't know if JB weld it any better than their epoxy, but the failed  parts had smooth surfaces. It sure can't hurt to give the surface more to adhere to.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

8 minutes ago, 2008RN said:

I always Assumed that Oliver used epoxy. It matches so well with the existing fiberglass epoxy that they use in the shell.  They must use tons of the epoxy.  When I installed my DC-DC charger setup.  I used JB weld.  I sand the fiberglass surface and mating Marine board with 60 grit sandpaper. I then roughly cross hatched both surfaces with either a angle grinder with .060 cutoff wheel, or used a dremel.  I just wanted to make sure it was going to get the best possible adherence. Oliver's joints have been known to fail.  I have had 2 joints fail of what Oliver did at the factory.  I don't know if JB weld it any better than their epoxy, but the failed  parts had smooth surfaces. It sure can't hurt to give the surface more to adhere to.

Thank you...I use JB Weld as well and will sand and cross hatch as you suggest.  Makes sense :)

John

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
11 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

I think Oliver uses a material that is used by the boating industry called starboard.

I don’t think Oliver uses Starboard because I believe SeaDawg once mentioned that Starboard only excepts mechanical fasteners.  I bought a piece Starboard to make attic access panels at HD and I think it resembles cutting board material more than anything else.

11 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

I have used vinyl trim board readily available at Lowe’s and Home Depot in various widths and thickness.

This is the same trim board material that I have used with success, but I use JB Weld.  I do believe the attaching to a horizontal surface is pretty straightforward, it’s the vertical placement that much more difficult.  I have had pretty good success with 2 pieces of all thread joined with a coupling nut used as a spreader between the walls of the area under the beds or seats.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
13 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Anyone know what the name of the material that is used in the basement for mounting electrical components. It is strong and lightweight. Most boating HDPE and marine lumber material is very heavy. Or any ideas for using something else? Trying not to use wood.

M

I think the material is the same as the trim boards mentioned above which is also available is sheets

Mossey

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

I think the material is the same as the trim boards mentioned above which is also available is sheets

Mossey

This is what I used with the DC-DC converter setup.  Expanded PVC Foam Board, White, 3/4" (0.75", 19MM) Thick, 12" W x 36" L

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09K2YR21N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used the 3/4" thick instead of 1/2" thick so I could have a few more threads on the screws holding things.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 2008RN said:

I used the 3/4" thick instead of 1/2" thick so I could have a few more threads on the screws holding things.

I like to use t-nuts and machine screws with my initial installation of equipment. 

Mossey

• Like 5

Home Depot and Lowes carry Azec brand pvc board and trim boards which is exactly like the material Oliver uses, not cheap but strong and lite. Used in areas subject to moisture and water exposure.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull 1144, 2020 FORD F350 TREMOR, 6.7