Weep Holes Dripping

I understand the several weep holes around the perimeter of the Oliver are designed to drip water to remove condensate, but how much is normal? This picture was taken at 10 AM on a sunny day at a campground north of I-40 in dry Arizona. You can see the 3 water spots. The center one for the fridge had twice the volume of water than the two weep holes.

Chris was cleaning up breakfast dishes and I noticed this when breaking camp outside and took this picture. My first thought was a leak in the kitchen plumbing.

I have read here that some of you in other climates have condensation issues, talk of dehumidifiers. In the SW, this time of year is the windy-dry season, and we run 4 large humidifiers! I had not witnessed any moisture on windows during our trip, or down below when I worked upgrade projects, and the wet bath dries in minutes after a shower.

Is this normal, or should I check the plumbing under the kitchen sink?

Weep holes.jpg

• Thanks 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
Posted (edited)

Do you have water in your fresh tank? The reason I ask is on our OEII the fresh water overflow tube clamp was loose on the tank fitting and we had water dripping from those holes. The water under the fridge drain is normal. 

Picture through hole in bottom of kitchen cabinet. Hole was installed by factory service department so they could tighten the clamps.

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.646f84e9dd1ff43b9fd93c5bea903bc4.jpeg

IMG_2046.thumb.jpeg.c3f13b7038122d6b9c0c1b9c1d7ea1dc.jpeg

IMG_2047.thumb.jpeg.1706062fae13a3ec33ed8ec94f72ffc6.jpeg

Edited by Townesw
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Posted (edited)

When we have condensation between the hulls, have seen more condensation between the hulls at the rear Oliver sign. Have not seen much condensation between the hulls in the area where you see water dripping out.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

Thank you @Townesw. I appreciate your pictures and will check that.

Yes, we certainly had water in the FWT, filled 2 days before using the boondocking port, filling the FWT from the extra tank in our TV, at our previous camp. Our tank only fills to 20 +/- gallons due to the tank issue in the older hulls (not yet warranty repaired by OTT). Between camps, we drove 165 miles, parked and this was the next morning. You would think if water was going to come out of the overflow it would be while on the road, water in the tank sloshing back and forth.

We used water for dinner, bathroom during our stay and Chris was doing breakfast dishes while this was leaking. I'm trying to figure out, how would the overflow tub have any water in it to leak through this fitting? Thanks again.

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

I'm trying to figure out, how

In a different lifetime, I used food grade dyes of various colors to trace water sources.  Start with Gray water lines with a lighter color dye, then try the black water system with a darker color. Then a very diluted light blue color for the fresh water.  If none of the colors show up, it's condensation.  Just a matter of elimination of possibilities to get you to the solution.

Lessons learned the hard way:

• Suggest being careful to maintain control of all the effluent as it will stain concrete.
  • It does not take much dye to be effective.  More than just a tad and you can create problems for yourself. 
  • Wear gloves.  My left hand was blue for quite a while!  Used to hold it up and say... "I've got the blues".   😞

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Is this normal, or should I check the plumbing under the kitchen sink?

I recommend everyone learn how to check for faucet leaks. I check mine first thing if I see any sign of a leak and occasionally other times. My faucet leak did not drip out the scuppers for a long time. Good luck finding your leak, hopefully it's not the faucet.

A link related to kitchen faucet leaks:

Edited by Corvus
Added a related link
  • Thanks 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

@jd1923 my guess is the hose clamp on the through hull fitting is loose or the fitting itself is cracked and water from the fresh tank sloshing has run down and out the hull drain. Hull 313 only has one hull drain in that area , plus the fridge drain and the overflow drain. 

I would remove the drawers and the panel at the back of the drawer cavity and make sure the sink trap fitting is tight and that you don’t have a leak from the faucet. Then stick your phone camera in behind the fridge and make a video. 

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.f62de7d37c3a80ec02b1e594d13bf6e2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Does your water pump cycle on from time to time even when not using water?  If so, that probably indicates a slow leak somewhere in your plumbing system.

When you first turn your water pump on, it will pressurize the tank and then turn off.  It will not come on again unless you turn on a faucet or flush the toilet.  However, if there is a very slow leak, it will come on again after a few minutes or longer because the leak will gradually lower the pressure in the water system.  This happened to me last time out after traveling about 30 miles on washboard roads.  I traced the problem to a slow leak in one of the push-in compression fittings by the Truma on demand water heater. 

Even though the leak was in the rear of the Ollie, the leaking water was dripping out one of the forward weep holes.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

3 hours ago, Chukarhunter said:

Does your water pump cycle on from time to time even when not using water?  If so, that probably indicates a slow leak somewhere in your plumbing system.

When you first turn your water pump on, it will pressurize the tank and then turn off...

Even though the leak was in the rear of the Ollie, the leaking water was dripping out one of the forward weep holes.

Our pump will not cycle on at all even when left on for hours. The pump should pressurize the plumbing, but hot the tank given the overflow is always open.

I noticed a minor drip on the far rear weep hole at a different time. What you experienced could have been your level a a bit off. We get the level spot-on with the LevelMatePRO and it was level at the time when the leak was pictured. I have never noticed any drip on the driver's side, all curbside, and this points to a plumbing leak vs. condensation.

I want to thank everybody here who made suggestions, add pictures, etc. This is very helpful. I'm not getting right on this work very soon, but I will update this thread as I do. Our Oliver is parked now and until after Labor Day and I have much M&R planned for our off-season (home, TV and Oliver projects)!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:10 PM, Townesw said:

@jd1923 my guess is the hose clamp on the through hull fitting is loose...

Bill, your first guess was the charm. At first i could not even see that connection, as in our hull it is right behind the cabinet crossbar. I could turn it 2-3 turns with just my fingers. I pulled it out to make sure the o-rings were good. It's an odd little part, combination restrictor and back-flow preventer? But it seems like it works the wrong direction. Not sure, I was getting tired when I finished. Next chance to work on it will be Tuesday afternoon.

The large threaded nut on the p-trap was also loose enough to move by hand. I was hoping to remove that to clean since it flows very slowly as compared to the bathroom, likely food gunk. Thoughts on cleaning that?

Anyway, I'm day 1 into a lot of summer M&R and mods. Wish mine looked as good as yours and it's not like your hull is that much newer. I also do not have the port showing the air duct. Mine is just cabinet wood floor. I will be working on correcting the ducts soon too. Thanks, all input is greatly appreciated! 

Sink Hose.jpg

Sink Plumbiing.jpg

Edited by jd1923
typos