Where to go?

I am currently in Texarkana for the memorial day weekend - found a place so will stay put - visiting my father's grave in Stamps, Arkansas, then headed to Lubec, Maine first week of July and Thomas Beach campground in Maine July 11-15 for a ham radio event. Otherwise, no plans between Texarkana and Lubec. Like to stop in Savannah, GA to see a young firefighter I helped a few years ago to get his job. Suggestions are sought. Came from Dayton, Ohio which was first destination from the Los Angeles area. Returning to Ventura County sometime end of July or August. No specific plans. 

2022 Ford F150 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Map of Provinces I Visited

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWIWYmed[1].jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

On the I-81 side, Jim Thorpe, PA is nice. We were there recently and posted some info/photos on our blog. Also, maybe run part of the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive?

Along the east coast there's Ocean City, MD and Assateague Island. Gets you off I-95, which is not a fun road.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I am looking at a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Pisgah. I am trying to stay off Interstates as I am able. Thanks.

2022 Ford F150 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Map of Provinces I Visited

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWIWYmed[1].jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JRK said:

I am looking at a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Pisgah.

If you are going to do that then you might want to think about the Davidson River Camp Ground near Brevard.

The Davidson River is one of Trout Unlimited's top 100 trout stream in the country, there is Looking Glass Falls right on the highway (route 276), there is a decent BBQ joint and Brewery on that same road as you exit the National Forest heading south and there is all sorts of stuff in the small town of Brevard, NC.

If you decide to stay at Mt. Pisgah then be sure to stop into the Pisgah Inn for a bite to eat- the pie is good as is the trout, pot pie and broasted chicken.

If you are a beer fan then Oscar Blues is located in Brevard while Sierra Nevada is up the road towards Asheville (route 280) just west of the airport - lovely grounds and good brewery tour while Oscar Blues is a bit more laid back.

If you are a water fall person then visit Dupont State Park south of Brevard.

Bill

p.s.  If you are on the Blue Ridge Parkway and have the time, there is a parking area for "Looking Glass Rock" at mile post 417.  Once you see the rock then turn around and cross the Parkway.  You should easily find a trail which if you stay straight on this trail (i.e. do not turn onto any trail coming in from the left or the right) a short hike down hill will bring you to "Skinny Dip Falls".  Don't ask how it got its name! 😁

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JRK said:

I am looking at a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Pisgah. I am trying to stay off Interstates as I am able. Thanks.

It’s not that close to Mt Pisgah but we have stayed at bear den twice and enjoyed it. It’s usually pretty cool in the elevations.

https://spaciousskiescampgrounds.com/bear-den/

If you’re going to be on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I would very highly recommend visiting Mt Mitchell and Grandfather Mountain. 

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/mount-mitchell-state-park

https://grandfather.com/

If you happen to be in the City of Asheville you may want to visit the historic Biltmore Hotel. Keep your head on a swivel in the City of Asheville as the city made the brilliant decision to defund their police force. 😏https://www.biltmore.com/stay/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwx-CyBhAqEiwAeOcTdQBL5_9FOL0HJrzux7TRx8nOMzwinSWTOTqlNB0AkkTMA9vMgS5HCRoCF38QAvD_BwE

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Pisgah inn restaurant has amazingly beautiful layered mountain views before noon. Go for breakfast. Lunch/dinner views are limited by the sun. Reservations required the past few years. If you can't get a res, the views are great from the deck. Pisgah campground is nice, some privacy with rododenrons in between sites,  but nothing special. Pretty much any campground on the parkway is nice, but limited services.

Driving the Blue Ridege, and skyline drive, is really very, very  special.  Plan time to stop at many overlooks and enjoy it. Winding and narrowing, but so very beautiful. Slow speed limits.  Camp several times to appreciate it all, and stop often. 

Skyland Cafe on the skyline drive has its ups and downs, but we've always enjoyed our stops there. Short hop off to Luray, Natural Bridge, Lexington, etc. Get your national park pass before you go.

Asheville is fun, but we rarely go into downtown anymore.  The historic charm (read narrow streets) isn't a lot of fun in a full size truck. Parking can be an issue. Grove arcade (America's first mall)  is beautiful,  as is historic Grove park inn. Roycroft furniture,  huge fireplaces, in the old part. Great brunch onvweekend. East parking.

Biltmore is lovely, but expensive.  The grounds are amazing. 

Plenty of great farm to table foods, and inventive food in Asheville, and surrounding communities. 

Off the parkway, linville falls is a lively area. Get off a bit further in the TV, and newland// crossnore/ old fort give you a bit more of old north carolina. Banner elk is nice, but very touristy now. 

We had lunch in newland today with friends.  Kayes on the river. Head down ash to the old lowes grocery to patlrk, and walk a block back, if you go. Next time, we'll go to tin trout in crossnore .

@Steph and Dud B recommendations on i81 to go north is excellent.  So much less stressful than 95. Driven it many times, going to erstern new york or canada. . 

You have a month. Take your time, and enjoy it. 

Ps. Deer island point campground in new Brunswick is rough, but beautiful.  You can see the maelstrom from the point. Ferry to and from. Ferry to Campobello, then in to Lubec. We really loved camping in New Brunswick. 

Enjoy your journey. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

All of Arkansas state parks are a pleasant stay with good facilities.

We recently stayed at Columbus-Belmont State Park in Kentucky.  Quite with nothing around for miles.  The facilities are OK.

https://parks.ky.gov/explore/columbus-belmont-state-park-7809

We also stayed at My Old Kentucky Home.  It sucked.  The town, Bardstown, is very nice, but that Kentucky state park is a real shame. 

https://parks.ky.gov/explore/my-old-kentucky-home-state-park-7821

Good luck on your trip.  I like the way you travel.  I hate the tether and bother of having to plan every move.

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4