Alcan + D52 + Monroe Performance Report...

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Similar report to Art's....

We're almost back to our home in Maine.  Right around 3,200 miles round trip.  No new issues to report.  Our Oliver has always traveled well behind our 3/4 ton truck with virtually no porpoising but there's even less now that the leaf springs have been changed.  Longer drives are less fatiguing.  I checked the torque of the u-bolt nuts at 2,000 miles and none of them needed to be tightened so I think they're set.  I had to tighten them twice after having the new leaf springs installed.

I haven't checked frame welds but will when I get home.  I'm not expecting to see anything unusual.  I think an important adjustment is to tire pressure.  When we picked up our trailer in 2021 the first thing I did - based on helpful feedback from others - was to lower the tire pressure from 80lbs to 60lbs.  With the switch to the Alcan's I've lowered the pressure to 48lbs.  Based on some of the roads we've traveled on, I think I've found a good number. 

I'll keep an eye on my new Monroe shocks that were installed at the same time as the leaf springs and Timken bearings.  If the bulldogs are noticeably better or they last longer, I'll switch to those when I service my trailer again. 

• Like 10

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR / Central Maine

8 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Just some quick feedback after 5,175 miles on the Alcan leaf springs, and 1,500 miles on the D52's and new Monroe shocks:

1.  We replaced the leaf springs just prior to the Eclipse Rally in TX last MAR and logged just north of 1,900 miles on that round trip from our home in NM.  To baseline the structural frame support integrity, we photographed each of the aluminum welds visible from under Casablanca.  The welds were in good order/no visible cracks before and after the Eclipse Rally.  Nothing unusual noted in the interior of the camper during this first trip with the new springs.

2.  We logged another 1,190 miles on the Alcans on our first leg of the OTT Owner's Rally from NM to Hohenwald arriving there 8MAR.  We coordinated with Jason Essary to replace the Dexter D35 axles with the D52s Nev-R-Lubes with 12" drums.  Dusten Bowden (18-year veteran of OTT and now owner of Dr RV Mobile RV Repair) and I swapped out the axles and mounted new Monroe's on 9MAR without issue.  

3.  Performed the U-bolt nut torque tightening protocol recommended by Alcan for the 9/16" U-bolts at 50, 100, and 500-mile increments.  Arrived at the Owner's Rally on Tuesday last week after logging 265 miles on the D52s/Monroes.  No issues noted after checking the U-bolts for proper torque.  

4.  Arrived home yesterday.  5,175 miles logged since MAR.  The trailer pulls well in all the weather conditions experienced including strong cross winds through Amarillo on I-40 and some of the lousiest interstate sections we've experiences through northern Louisiana on I-20.  Integrity of frame welds show no change since before changing springs, FYI.

We're pleased with the running gear mods as they 100% meet our style of travel trailering...

Cheers, All!

Great report. Thank You👍👍

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

Art:

In addition to the much greater braking capability of the 5.2's, are the bearings larger as well?

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

3 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

In addition to the much greater braking capability of the 5.2's, are the bearings larger as well?

Got to be, going from a 10" to a 12" drum. The spindle should be beefier too. There is more braking force in the larger drums & shoes, so everything must handle greater force. Sure @MAX Burner will confirm.

Big investment, new axles, leaf springs, wet bolt/sleeves kit, shocks, am I missing anything? It doesn't make sense to me to do one w/o doing it all and at the same time. I may just have to start hoarding parts as I can and wait for the right time!

GJ at least you already had a Houghton AC upgrade and I need to do that too! Hmmm, what will be first? I'm starting with plumbing fixes, rerouting furnace ducts, install the new bath fan already purchased and a half dozen other tasks, which need my labor and not a whole lot of up front $$$. It's going to be a fun Ollie summer and I have 3 weeks off starting June 15th to get started!

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)

I can’t help but think of this Jonny Cash song each time I read about and I invest $$$$ into an upgrade for Hull #634 - XPLOR.  The next time you’re adding that upgrade you just might start thinking about Ole Johnny’s song. Ha!

Glad I had Oliver install the new 5200# axles and all new running gear last Oct.

One piece or mod at a time.😅

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Art:

GJ

@Geronimo John 

I will chime in according to what I learned at OTT Service last Oct when I had all my running gear replaced. From what I was told, yes they are larger bearings. And naturally never lube does not mean never fail.

Jason did tell me that after installing the 5200# never lube axles, Oliver has not had any “never lube” bearings fail with approx 200 trailers now running this axle/bearing combo. He also cautioned that IF a never lube bearing fails it’s a fairly expensive repair unless you choose to carry a replacement drum with a new bearing already pressed in. Replacement drums naturally are heavy bulky and not a cheap spare to carry.

Here-

See link and scroll down to page 4 - see end play inspection and pressing a failed 42mm NL bearing out to replace.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/HDBI

https://www.dexteraxle.com/product/2847/69/nev-r-lube-bearing-kit

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

12 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Hey, John;

The D52's use a massive "bearing pack" which is a sealed unit touted to be "good" for 100k miles.  We'll see, for sure.  

Even though they're called "Nev-R-Lubes", owners still need to inspect the sealed bearing packs at 12k-mile/12-month intervals (whichever occurs first).  With our current OTT camping schedule for the rest of this year, we'll likely be digging into the new 52's in NOV prior to our "winter mode."  We'll report the details of the process afterwards for those interested.

JFTR:  We've chosen to run the Cooper Discoverers at 45psi cold.  The TPMS shows a consistent warm-up (obviously not including the spare) to 52 - 53psi per tire after about 20 minutes of towing.  This pressure seems to be our "sweet spot" for the loads we've been carrying for summer travel.  We also replaced the curtain clips with new ones before the axle swap because we were discovering random curtains falling down after normal towing conditions.  We haven't had one fall down since replacing the clips, FYI.

@Patriot - good call posting the Dexter inspection procedure, thanks brother!

Cheers!

• Like 4

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg