Starlink mini dish

We have been considering Starlink for our Oliver. I think this latest version of the new Starlink mini dish might really be worth a look and waiting for. With a much more compact/portable size and initial lower cost might be a viable option for our needs. It will be interesting to see how this new mini dish performs. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
3 hours ago, Patriot said:

We have been considering Starlink for our Oliver. I think this latest version of the new Starlink mini dish might really be worth a look and waiting for. With a much more compact/portable size and initial lower cost might be a viable option for our needs. It will be interesting to see how this new mini dish performs. 

I received the mini dish email last night. We have Starlink residential service due to our rural location and it works great. The email stated that you must have residential service to add on the Mini at $30/month which might be a deal breaker for many, not to mention the $599 hardware cost. It is also limited to 50GB download and $1/GB over that. It has a built in router and looks like it has it's own portable rechargeable power supply at first glance. Here's the link to the Mini specs: https://www.starlink.com/specifications?spec=5  We have the mobile service for the Ollie and it has worked out well so far over this summer. Both are pricey and I may have opted for the Mini had we not already purchased the Mobile service. It doesn't look like you can pause the Mini service though.

Ollie Link.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Additional Mini details: Mini Roam Service Plan. The Mini Roam Plan allows you to access Services at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage and is designed for low demand, portable, land-based use, such as camping or nomadic living. You must have an active Residential or Mobile Service Plan ("Primary Plan") in order to purchase a Mini Roam Services Plan. If you cancel your Primary Plan, your Mini Roam Plan will also be cancelled. Mini Roam Services allow you to access Services only at land-based destinations within the continent that you receive Residential Services. Mini Roam Services cannot be used on the ocean or in-motion. Mini Roam Services cannot be paused. If you use Mini Roam Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your Primary Plan Service address, Starlink may suspend your Mini Roam Services. Starlink may immediately suspend your Services if your new location is not in an authorized territory (marked “Available or Waitlist”) on the Starlink map: www.starlink.com/map. Mini Roam Service charges will be ongoing until you terminate your Primary Plan Services or your Mini Roam Services via your Starlink account. The Mini Roam Service Plan assigns a set amount of “Mobile” data to customers each month, as described in the Fair Use Policy. Mobile data that is assigned to Mini Roam users is always deprioritized as compared to other Starlink Service Plans, resulting in degraded Service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours. Unused Mobile data does not rollover to the next month. If you have exhausted your Mobile data in a given month, you are able to purchase additional Mobile data. Customers who exhaust and have not purchased additional Mobile data will be unable to connect to the internet except to access their Starlink account on www.starlink.com, where additional Mobile data can be purchased, so that you may reconnect to the internet. You may not transfer the Kit assigned to your Mini Roam Plan to another customer or account at any time. If you cancel your Mini Roam Services and wish to reactivate, Starlink may require you to switch to the Regional Plan described in Section 5.1(a).

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

3 hours ago, Half Fast Hugo said:

Additional Mini details: Mini Roam Service Plan. The Mini Roam Plan allows you to access Services at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage and is designed for low demand, portable, land-based use, such as camping or nomadic living. You must have an active Residential or Mobile Service Plan ("Primary Plan") in order to purchase a Mini Roam Services Plan. If you cancel your Primary Plan, your Mini Roam Plan will also be cancelled. Mini Roam Services allow you to access Services only at land-based destinations within the continent that you receive Residential Services. Mini Roam Services cannot be used on the ocean or in-motion. Mini Roam Services cannot be paused. If you use Mini Roam Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your Primary Plan Service address, Starlink may suspend your Mini Roam Services. Starlink may immediately suspend your Services if your new location is not in an authorized territory (marked “Available or Waitlist”) on the Starlink map: www.starlink.com/map. Mini Roam Service charges will be ongoing until you terminate your Primary Plan Services or your Mini Roam Services via your Starlink account. The Mini Roam Service Plan assigns a set amount of “Mobile” data to customers each month, as described in the Fair Use Policy. Mobile data that is assigned to Mini Roam users is always deprioritized as compared to other Starlink Service Plans, resulting in degraded Service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours. Unused Mobile data does not rollover to the next month. If you have exhausted your Mobile data in a given month, you are able to purchase additional Mobile data. Customers who exhaust and have not purchased additional Mobile data will be unable to connect to the internet except to access their Starlink account on www.starlink.com, where additional Mobile data can be purchased, so that you may reconnect to the internet. You may not transfer the Kit assigned to your Mini Roam Plan to another customer or account at any time. If you cancel your Mini Roam Services and wish to reactivate, Starlink may require you to switch to the Regional Plan described in Section 5.1(a).

Not what I was hoping to hear. We live in a rural area and have been using a line of sight solution where a Cooperative put dishes on cell towers. They installed one on my barn and works very well, only $60 a month, unlimited and I see speeds in the 80-90 GB down and 8-10DB up. Hate to have to use at home to make use of the mini.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

11 minutes ago, Shawna and Scott said:

Not what I was hoping to hear. We live in a rural area and have been using a line of sight solution where a Cooperative put dishes on cell towers. They installed one on my barn and works very well, only $60 a month, unlimited and I see speeds in the 80-90 GB down and 8-10DB up. Hate to have to use at home to make use of the mini.

Exactly why we got the home Starlink in the first place. Our line of sight was horribly inconsistent and had terrible speeds. It was cheaper but much more aggravating since I still do some work from home. The Home Starlink has been superb as has the Mobile Starlink! We're eligible for the Mini but, I'll still run with the mobile since I can shut it down over the winter or months we're not using it. It's probably a wash in the long run for the Mobile vs the Mini as the Mini cost is cheaper until you hit the data usage limit which we probably would since I upload videos on the road quite a bit.

• Like 3

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

I suspect that they have are looking at their growth rate projections.  Better to have such  a plan to first serve their existing customers.  Then as the rest of their satelits get boosted to space, they will have the ability to support many more customers.  Then hopefully a plan similar to the Garmin Sat Trackers would be offered.  Basically an annual fee for all and then tiers of levels of service which can start/stop monthly if desired.  

Such a plan would be great for RV use.

This thread was a head turner for me. Thanks for posting David and all for the update.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)

@Half Fast Hugo 

Thanks Hugo for the fine-print details, any future info anyone gleans would also be appreciated. I agree with @Geronimo John it maybe awhile before this mini becomes available in an RV/camping/travel package. I will be really interested if and when it does. I do like what the future mounting possibilities could be with this mini dish.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@Half Fast Hugo 

Thanks Hugo for the fine-print details, any future info anyone gleans would also be appreciated. I agree with @Geronimo John it maybe awhile before this mini becomes available in an RV/camping/travel package. I will be really interested if and when it does. I do like what the future mounting possibilities could be with this mini dish.

Not a problem! Their email said I was invited since I was an "early" Starlink customer so not sure what information is available to everyone who aren't already using them. Happy to research anything else if you need it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Posted (edited)

To your point @Half Fast HugoHere is another vid on pretty much everything you mentioned. This tuber seems to be on point with the mini. At this point I am in a holding pattern on pulling the trigger waiting for the newness dust to settle and user reviews are available. It appears there is no pause in service when not in use and a cap at 50GB per month with additional GB available naturally at an added cost. 

I don’t have an invitation/email to the dance, so I shall wait and see. 🙃

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Posted (edited)

How does “Dishy Mcflatface” aka Starlink actually work? I found this video absolutely fascinating to watch. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Wow that's STEM at work for sure.

Riveting video.  thanks for sharing. Watched very second.  

Thank for sharing!

GJ

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Wow that's STEM at work for sure.

Riveting video.  thanks for sharing. Watched very second.  

Thank for sharing!

GJ

GJ

You bet GJ - seriously MIT type multi discipline scholars making it happen. All the  science, tech, engineering and math is blazing a lightening path forward. It’s hard to get one’s mind wrapped around just the problem solving that had to be completed along the way. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

My neighbor is having the mini installed on a few months. We'll see what he says.

I agree with Mike, it's all Magic.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.