Any Arkansas ideas to share?

We are planning our next extended trip.  Some time Jan-Feb, probably in/near Arkansas.  We can go almost anywhere, but all I have so far is some internet searches for various state parks and cool hikes.  We love hiking and various other encounters with the wondrous and beautiful.  Anyone have suggestions on how to build an itinerary?

My unsorted list of ideas so far:

Ouachita
Bull Shoals - White river
Table Rock
Devils Den
Lake fort smith
Buffalo National River

Hikes:

North Rim Trail, Mount Magazine State Park 
Yellow Rock Trail, Devil’s Den State Park
Big Bluff/Goat Trail, Buffalo Wilderness Area
Lost Valley Trail, Buffalo National River 
Indian Rock House Nature Trail, Buffalo National River
Whitaker Point Trail, Upper Buffalo Wilderness 
Seven Hollows Trail, Petit Jean State Park 

P.S. If this isn't the correct board for this sort of question, plz let me know 🤪

• Like 1

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I see you have the Ouchita National Forest on your list. It has a lot to offer. Mount Magazine camp sites are nice and close to hiking trails and the lodge has wonderful views and a nice restaurant. The hang glider launch, east of the lodge, also has very nice views too. To the south of Mount Magazine is a Corp of Engineers campground on a lake. Lake Ouchita had some camping sites around the lake but I can't remember their names or know their status.

Edited by Corvus
  • Thanks 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

If you have any interest in mineralogy the Crater of Diamonds State Park could be fun too. It is very hot in the summer so your travel dates would match nicely.

• Thanks 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

Hot Springs is a nice stop. Gulpha Gorge Campground in the national park is nice. Full hookup and cheap with the senior pass if you have it. Sites by the creek are nice but a little close. Lake Fort Smith is nice. Large spaces.

• Thanks 1

Hull 737 OE ll      “LET IT RAIN”    2016 Ford F-250 diesel

Devils Den is beautiful but no cell service at the campground. You have to drive to the top of the hill. I definitely would vote for Magazine or Petit Jean. both are beautiful. Hike to the waterfall on Petit Jean. 

Also check out COE campground below Beaver Dam. Make sure you get a site on the river. Easy drive into Eureka Springs from there. 

• Thanks 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

There’s a ACoE campground on a lake near my beloved Eureka Springs which is a splendid little town full of interesting surprises and great architecture.

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg