Toilet and Black tank smell..

15 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

Along with everything else that has been suggested, recheck the toilet flange to make sure that it isn’t cracked. Mine started to smell on occasion and a little at a time then gradually became worse. I found out that the cheesy plastic flange was cracked, allowing sewer gas to escape and eventually liquid as well. I replaced mine with a stainless steel flange and fastened it down using all six available mounting holes with #14 stainless screws. 

I removed the entire toilet as in #2 of my post and there were no cracks in the closet flange.  

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
14 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Actually, @Frank C did it first and best, quite detailed using u-clips. Mine was a quick job but the part re mine I like is the rubber seal, inexpensive part too!

What do they say?  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattering?  LOL..I am considering using plus nuts and white thumb screws for my installation...but am going to practice using them first!  Thanks for the link to the gasket material!

• Like 2

Claudia, let's get together and take a sniff in each other's trailers this weekend. We've been chasing a similar very faint odor, but I haven't gone to the extent that you have yet. I too regularly flush the black and gray tanks with the Calgon/Pine~Sol mix. I use a macerator pump at home, so take extra time and several fill/flush cycles of both.  Still, there's that slight, lingering odor.

I bought but haven't yet used a roll of the edge seal for the bathroom vanity. I'll bring it with me and we can see if there's enough length for both of us.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

On 9/10/2024 at 12:08 PM, Steve Morris said:

Claudia, let's get together and take a sniff in each other's trailers this weekend. We've been chasing a similar very faint odor, but I haven't gone to the extent that you have yet. I too regularly flush the black and gray tanks with the Calgon/Pine~Sol mix. I use a macerator pump at home, so take extra time and several fill/flush cycles of both.  Still, there's that slight, lingering odor.

I bought but haven't yet used a roll of the edge seal for the bathroom vanity. I'll bring it with me and we can see if there's enough length for both of us.

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to tackle this project to be sure the vent pipe is attached.  I wasn't looking forward to tearing it apart but I guess it will be more accessible for a variety of other things that could come up.    I'm considering using plus nuts and white thumb screws to make it easy to open up in the  future.  I appreciate the offer for the gasket material!  We'll chat this weekend!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this post...

I finally scraped away the caulking from the towel bar in front of the bath vanity to investigate whether I had a detached vent pipe.  It wasn't nearly as much a chore as I anticipated...took all of 15 minutes!   To my dismay there isn't any loose pipes or fittings.  There is a faint black tank smell in that area but I was unaware that the space around the black tank is contiguous with the space under the dinette seat...so any smell I have there would also be inside the vanity.    I'm still perplexed as to why there is a smell at all but I'm assuming my sniffer is just overly sensitive.

I'm happy that I tackled this as I'm going to use a gasket around the towel bar (thanks Steve Morris) to prevent water intrusion and keep it accessible for the future in case I purchase a new faucet.   I'm just going to use the original screws and snap caps to secure it down since I don't anticipate going in there very often.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

• Moderators

While you are "in there" - 

Put some foam insulation around those 1/2 inch water pipes and add another layer of insulation wherever possible.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

13 hours ago, csevel said:

There is a faint black tank smell in that area but I was unaware that the space around the black tank is contiguous with the space under the dinette seat...so any smell I have there would also be inside the vanity. 

In the meantime, I suggest using OdoBan to mask the unpleasant smell. Spray inside the vanity, into the black tank area from within the forward dinette seat hatch and any other suspect areas. 

IMG_7243.thumb.png.292fb4ffa71a8749eb87ea26272f7bc9.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables, auxiliary Cerbo-S GX/Victron 30A Blue Smart IP22 Charger combo, Dreiha Atmos 4.4 a/c upgrade.

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

A.R.E. truck bed cover/BedRug bed liner, 200W solar array/Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and 100Ah potable power station, Rancho QuickLIFT front suspension strut/coil spring upgrade, Advanced Technology vented/slotted disc brake rotor upgrade, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension/wireless remote controller, Mechman 320A High Output alternator/upsize cables.