Check your leveling jack feet!

We pulled into a campground for the night in Ft. Stockton Texas, I started to unhitch and noticed that the front jack foot was loose. I tightened it and checked the other two. The rear ones were tight. I checked them all right after we purchased our trailer in 2017 and haven’t thought about them since. Probably something to check periodically and will add some blue loctite to each bolt. Probably not good to lose one, at least I’d hate to run over one. IMG_2682.thumb.jpeg.f406e23b521ac7a0af0d75370d7d3885.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Glad you found the pending loss before it happened.  Last month in a response to Jason's post I stated:

"A bit off topic, but important.  I recently lost on the highway one of my jack foot plates.  Recommend checking their single bolt tightness occasionally.  Anybody know how to do so and to what torque?  My concern is that one could damage the jack tube if it is not restrained during tightening."

We now have two documented cases supporting the need to periodically check the torque of our jack leg feet.  Jason mentioned using a strap wrency to back-up the torque process so as not to damage the leg when doing so.

Pondering this further, I think it would be worth attaching a small diameter cable to act as a "safety chain" for the feet.

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

John, I just used a ratchet and a short section of pipe (cheater) and got it really tight. They are not a critical item so just get them tight. When at home I have several different Williams hook wrenches that should hook into the groove to hold the center tube from turning. I’ll get them properly tightened then. For now I just wanted to make sure that they’d stay tight until we get home. 

Edited by mountainoliver
Clarification

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax