Roadside Assistance Plans: AAA or Good Sam

Shopping for a plan and have heard many people rave about Good Sam but also have seen many, many reports of poor customer service and then many folks being "dropped" by Good Sam after only a couple of routine calls for assistance.

Would like to know from the Oliver community which they prefer and why.  Will explore other options too if someone has strong suggestions.

Thanks

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2006 Dodge 3500 Megacab, 4x4 with 5.9L Cummins diesel.

I researched both, and decided that I wanted AAA’s Premier RV plan for its 200 mile towing limit. I don’t think Good Sam has a program to match that. I am occasionally in very remote areas, like central WY or southern ID, and it can be a long way to a repair shop.

https://wa.aaa.com/membership/plans/premier-rv?zip=99019&stateprov=wa&city=liberty+lake&devicecd=TB

I have been happy with AAA forever, the only problem is that the wait time for a truck can be excessive, and if there are a lot of slide-off accidents due to inclement weather, you may never get one. In that case, you get whoever you can to haul you in, pay for it and get reimbursed later. That is painless. I never run out of gas, I carry a lithium jump starter box, my tires rarely explode, so I normally never use their services, but I do feel better having it available in case of collision or sliding into a ditch.

The long tow range comforts me when I am in the boonies in my Land Cruiser. If my stuck truck is located on or close to a forest or ranch road that the tow truck can get to, they will come and get me. I may be completely out of cell coverage, in that case I can use my inReach to get my wife or daughter to send a truck to the gps coordinates.

OTH I use the AAA 10% discount lots of places, like NAPA and at all motels. Check the various plan discounts to see if there are any you might use often, and buy that plan, all other things being equal....

I think many campgrounds have Good Sam discounts, that may be a factor for you to think about. I rarely stay in a commercial place unless forced to by really bad planning or by worse luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• Moderators

Like John I also researched both.  However, I went with the Good Sam program.  While there were a number of reasons for this choice the bottom line was that they were cheaper, my limited experience with AAA had not been very good and the towing limits that AAA imposed were also not very good.  Good Sam will tow you to the nearest repair facility regardless of distance versus the "premier" 200 mile limit that AAA imposes.

However, I would strongly recommend that you research both as they apply to your situation (where and how often you travel) and then pick the one that you hope you will never actually need to use.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I got a mailer from good Sam's today, so checked their website. They have some great cyber week specials on towing insurance.

We've only had to use them locally with our daily drivers, but I've known others who had to have both tug and trailer towed with good Sam's....

You may want to check their website for the holiday special pricing. We carry the platinum  rv coverage, as it covers us in rentals, too, in Canada..... just in case....

The standard rv plan is only $79.95 right now, covers all your owned vehicles in your family, for all the household drivers.

Goodsamroadside.com

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12