Table pedestals

jam49

• Moderators

Jam49, your thread about the table pedestal leg modification is appreciated. Maybe the factory will pick up on that and incorporate it into the 09' Oliver at some point.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Thanks Mountainborn. I am constantly thinking about how the inside space can be used most efficiently when I finally get to claim Oliver for my own. (not soon enough) The area under the table could still be used for storage using skinnier storage bins on either side of the pedestal when lowered. I suggested the trailer hitch pin because that is a system I am most familiar with and I know it is sturdy. Also, the pin is easy to put in and take out. Maybe a pin that doesn't stick out too far and is covered with a cap so nobody gets scratched when the table is up is a solution. If the telescoping pedestal legs could be incorporated, should the hole be in the front as you look at the table or should the hole be from seat side to seat side so the pin isn't seen? I don't know. That is why I went to the forum. Constructive criticism / suggestions are most helpful to me on whether my thoughts are worth pursuing or not. I have already contacted Robert at the factory to see if this option could be installed in my Oliver. The factory guys may have a real good reason why it can't be done. It's worth a try. If it happens, then I don't have to store the table legs anywhere else and use up precious storage space. I would still want the option of being able to remove the table legs though,just in case I dreamed up a different use for that space and needed the legs gone. As always, thanks to all for the many helpful thoughts, suggestions, etc. I feel that I am going to get to enjoy my Oliver to the ultimate because of the knowledge I gained from the forum. Anxiously waiting to follow that road that never ends! jam49

Though this might seem like a great idea on the surface, I would worry about compromising the rigidity of the table support when extended. I fear that it would take more than just two nested pipe sections held by a transverse pin to make a firm connection. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to store the table leg in the closet.

But, if you want to pursue this further, maybe some sort of clamping collar would be something to consider? I have a fairly long extendable painting pole/handle that has a plastic collar that locks two sections of fiberglass together, and that's where this idea came from.

I posted a query on the Teardrop and Tiny Trailer Forum since someone here mentioned that they had once owned a Tab with a collapsible table leg. They suggested that I try looking at Vintage Trailer Supply for a table leg that one of them had on their trailer. The link is http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Fol ... ts-527.htm This is a telescoping leg that folds up when not in use. Is this what you are meaning?

Hi Veda,

This is what I had in mind. I think it must depend on materials (chrome) used in the Oliver if it could be adapted to telescope or fold up (that is even better). Use the leg down if you want and if not, fold it up against the table so that there is more storage area.

I am going to pass this on to the Oliver factory. Thanks for sharing.

Herm,

Your suggestion is also a possiblity. I have shared my thoughts with Robert but have not had a chance to follow up. I feel the very best of anything comes from many persons contributions and I sure have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks

• Moderator+

Hello Everyone, forgive me if I have not understood what you are trying to achieve about the table leg. The leg is an intergral part of the table support. The table top would rip itself from the wall if the leg were removed or "folded" up under the table. Again, forgive me if this is not what you intended.

Incidently, I have had concerns about the table leg...where to store when removed and the table top is in the down position. I am looking for some two inch tubing clamps that I plan to mount on the wall just to the left of the closet door, similar to those holding the hardware for the awning. As yet, I've not been able to locate any that large. If that fails, I have some 3/4 inch thick hard rubber that I will make my own out of....

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Perhaps I'm not qualified to speak to this topic, as I don't yet have an Oliver. But, I like Steve's idea with the tubing clamps. Any reason those clamps couldn't be installed on the inside of the closet to keep it out of view? I imagine that the ends of the table leg would scratch the fiberglass interior of the closet if left unrestrained in there.

Also, my concern over rigidity of the collapsable post might not be critical if the table is securely anchored to the back wall of the trailer.

• Moderator+

I guess I was completely dumb earlier. If I'm understanding you correctly, you would want to leave the pedestal attached to the underside of the table top when lowered into the bed position. Of course, this would necessitate collapsing or folding it. We actually retained the street side table so we have to deal with storing table pedestal also. My idea for storing it was using clips to hold the leg outside (or inside) the closet.

These should work:

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemd ... lutePage=1

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update on telescoping table leg - Yes, my idea is to keep the leg attached but lowered when wanting to use the table for the center of the bed. Possibly a track could be on the wall side of the table where the table is attached. Then, the table could slide up and down as needed on the telescoping table leg that folds up and clamps under the table. This could also be used on the side table. I talked to Robert today. He said a possible choice for the t. leg was found in Australia but that it was very expensive. Back to the drawing board!

It sounds like this is falling under the same category as the 'under storage' idea. Sure, it can be done...but at what price? This might be one of those things we consider upgrading later, if at all, after the factory has come up with an affordable solution.

This sort of reminds me of my own quest for a bumper-mounted receiver several weeks ago. And in the end, I simply had to drop the idea. The factory wasn't ready to finalize their design on this option, and it would have likely ended up being very expensive.

Though it's great to suggest new ideas and keep raising the bar, we all have to admit that Oliver has already set the bar pretty high to begin with. An no other manufacturer would even entertain half the things we discuss on this forum.

Herm

Robert said they would still look. Maybe something more reasonable will show up before they start building my Oliver. After I saw a picture of an Oliver for the first time in the magazine, I immediately researched it online, fell in love, and the rest is history. I have mine on order now. I feel the Oliver is top quality and I will be so excited when I get to pick it up and start enjoying it.

I have the standard tow package on my truck. What is the advantage of a bumper receiver?

jam49, I was talking about a bumber-mounted receiver on the Oliver, which would have allowed my to insert a bike carrier or cargo carrier. There's a post titled '2" receiver mod' if you care to know more. Anyway, I'm very happy with my choice as well, and can't wait to take delivery. Mine is slated to be completed within the next week.

Herm

• Moderators

I've been intrigued by this thread. Years ago, you often saw telescopic legs in conversion vans and a few RVs. Since they're rarely seen anymore, I suspect there were problems. I found a few on the internet... mostly too small to support a table for a four-person dinette. This one, from Australia, is hydraulic, and probably strong enough, but shipping from Australia, and warranty support, would be expensive and difficult...

http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/ ... adaa0b1a02 The leg itself is $179 Australian, before shipping.

Personally, I love the storage "cave" created under the bed. We travel with the bed made up most of the time. I have room for three storage boxes filled with lighter weight but seldom used items like rain gear and cold weather clothes, plus the table leg itself, a briefcase, hiking poles, and various other items. I'd miss the room if the center were taken up with a collapsed leg. Just my two and a half cents.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry,

I really appreciate your input. When I spoke to Robert he said some had been located in Australia (maybe the same one you referred to).

Like you say maybe it was an idea already tested that didn't work out. The idea seemed good at the time but now you have caused me to think even more by sharing about these telescoping legs that used to be the rage. I sure don't want to compromise any quality. I sure have gotten other good ideas from the conversation - clamps in particular. I know I am going to very happy when I finally get to pick my Oliver up. At this point I can only imagine how I am going to help it get its "own personality". Not that all that have been so lovingly created at the factory don't already have a unique personality since we get to choose so many options. Hope yall are having fun! Someday soon I hope I get to say "I'm retired!" and then get to enjoy traveling. Thanks again for everybody's input. At this point I think the answer for me is no telescoping leg. jam49

• 4 weeks later...