Hitch or No Hitch

Paulatannehill

• Moderators

Unless I'm missing something here - with that TV you do not need nor are you required to have a weight distribution hitch.  As long as you keep the tongue weight at approximately 10 to 15 percent of total camper weight you should not worry about "sway" - therefore, you are good to go on that front too.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You don’t need to waste your money on the Andersen hitch with your heavy duty truck. This has been discussed just about every other day, please browse back through the Towing forum.

Which Ollie are you looking at? If the small one, you would need to keep looking in the mirror to remind yourself it was hooked up.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

"Pros and Cons. Likes and dislikes concerning the Andersen Hitch. TV 2019 F250 diesel."

Pros and Cons with regards to what?  Towing, sway, factory support, problems with them, initial cost, ease of hook-up, effectiveness, suitability on various tow vehicles, installing on an Oliver?

Don't know how to answer your question because there is not enough information.  But if you are wondering about using one with an Elite 2, it's not needed with a heavy duty truck.  I have one and have never used it.  I see no reason to.  It came as part of the equipment with my Oliver and has lived in the garage since I got it.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderator+

I believe we’ve about ridden this horse until he dead. The way I’m understanding it, (and I wholeheartedly agree) anyone who owns a 3/4 ton or larger pickup does not NEED the Andersen Hitch. However, if an individual has one of these large pickups and feels better using the Andersen anyway, then it’s perfectly fine.

If your pickup is a 1500, it’s also a matter of choice. Lots of experienced owner’s coming from SOB’s that have used anti-sway or weight distribution apparatus in the past will feel more comfortable continuing their former practice.

On the other hand, many of us have never used anything - with equal success. The Oliver is a very stable trailer. Do what your heart and billfold dictates.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

If you tow with a 1500, check your owners manual. The manufacturer may require a weight distribution hitch if the tongue weight is (I think the number is) 500 lbs or above. This is the manufacturer’s warranty continuation plan.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax