Victron Color GX and MPPT 100/50 controller install

rideadeuce

The new one will not fit. I believe, not easily anyway. Not sure about needing more than 400aH. Also, albeit, I love Victron but their batteries require a much more complicated install. If your are a DYI, the batteries that fit the tray and that have a nice BMS built-in like the BB or Lifeblue LFP will be much easier to install.

Just realized @whatda, that you were looking at EU specs. Nothing available in this market works easily for 400aH except for a couple of brands or you do something custom as you have already stated. I am leaning towards (2) 200 ah Lifeblue’s. Built-in BMS with Bluetooth and free app that is really good.

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

I am looking at the Victron 200Ah battery "type a" otherwise known as "new version".

Old Victron: 11.7"x16.7"x10.8" 92 lbs

New Victron: 6"x12.6"x9.1"  48 lbs

So much smaller and lighter.

Not yet available in the US, but coming "very soon" .  If you already have a multiplus, color gx, and MPPT from Victron, then you just need to VE.Bus BMS and battery protect (And maybe Cyrix combiner) to use their batteries.

https://shop.pkys.com/New-Victron-lighter-Lithium-200Ahr-Battery-BAT512120610.html has the pre-order out of MD.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

I stand corrected on the fitment... which is really cool! But, wow, $66o0 for batteries... that's a difficult pill to swallow. As for complexity, it is a bit more than just adding $130 BMS from what I understand. In addition, adding anything for me as a DYI is always something to consider because of not only cost, but space, know how, etc. But please update post if you end up installing the Victron's because I would love to see it and possibly install them if the install is not that much more involved. It would be really nice to have a complete Victron system. Thanks for the post.

- Mike

Nashville, TN

400Ah of those batteries will cost you $1200 more than I paid for my Battleborns.  $1200!  Yes, you get the room to add another battery, but you've paid $1200 extra already, plus $2200 for the third battery and another $200 for the BMS and battery protection.  That's $3600 for 200Ah that you'll rarely ever need.

It seems like for the trouble you're going through that you'd just buy individual cells and actually save money.

Victron batteries aren't anything special.  They just package them in blue plastic and charge more.

Yeah when I was initially looking at them, it was 3x $1800 based on the local pricing here - near parity with battle borne for lighter and being able to see the batteries on the app.  Now that I am seeing US prices are so much higher, reconsidering them. I'm sure the tech advances will be released in other manufactures batteries shortly.

Also on placement -- if I could get a battery tray in place of the black tank - that would have been an easier sell for the composting toilet.  Even with the black tank there should be some extra space down there as the tanks are sized the same as the LE?

Between Olivers…

@Overland, true! But I am sure they are well made and would be a lovely addition to an already pure Victron system. The Lifeblue 200ah x2 still seem great (simplicity of drop-in, built-in bluetooth, free app that is very informative, size/wt, same cost as BB with easier install, has its own heater for cold protection) If you want 6-8hrs per day of AC, is it possible with less then 600Ah? Just asking, what your real world experience has been with 400Ah with impressive solar array.

P.S. I really would like to see some pics of others installs. Just curious to see how others did their placement, wiring, switches, etc. You mentioned a thread that you had, where is that?

- Mike

Nashville, TN

In the only experiment I've run, I got 3.5 hours on a day that I was getting 500W from the solar.  That was 75% DOD, which is when the inverter started kicking off due to low voltage.  See here.

I'm not familiar with the Lifeblue but Scott Oliver was telling me that they were looking at a battery with built in bluetooth and so it may be the same.

• Thanks 1

I’m not familiar with the Lifeblue but Scott Oliver was telling me that they were looking at a battery with built in bluetooth and so it may be the same.

Hopefully that doesn't come any time soon - I halfway jest - based on their unwillingness to do anything other the 100% standard options on my build.  They could have had an easy, willing beta tester.

Between Olivers…

• Moderators
anything

Or, email him, see if they're closer, and see if you could just be that patient beta tester...

I've always said, the worst anyone can say is "no."

Well, I can see "quote" function didn't work very well on my phone tonight...

Maybe better tomorrow. Advice would be the same.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.