Dexter Leaf Spring Axle Zerks - Elite I

How many grease zerks are on the Elite I Dexter leaf spring axle? I found a total of four, consisting of two directly forward of each of the stabilizing jacks (street side pictured here). Did I miss any? Thanks!

IMG_2773.JPG

Brian and Maria | and furry, four-legged "kids" Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

There should be another wet bolt at the opposite end of the leaf spring making 3 per side.  The Elite II has 8 per side.

Edited by ScubaRx

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

There should be another wet bolt at the opposite end of the leaf spring making 3 per side.  The Elite II has 8 per side.

Thanks for your help ScubaRx. I found it  . . . . if it was a snake it would have bit me lol. I greased all six now, good to go. I'll eventually have the zerk fittings switched towards the inside. I found it awkward to get the grease gun on them; with the fittings all facing to the outside the tire gets in the way, especially on the rearmost two.  - Brian

IMG_3023.JPG

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

• Moderators

I've st

On 8/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, Brian and Maria said:

...I'll eventually have the zerk fittings switched towards the inside...

I've struggled with that choice since I first installed the Dexter EZ-Flex system on Hull # 050 back in 2016. First I installed them to the outside, ignoring the advice on YouTube to put them to the inside. I found (as you did) the tires made access to the zerks difficult.

During some axle work at the factory, I had the zerks turned to the inside. Then I found that although the zerks were not blocked, they were still not easily accessible. Scooting around on the ground under the trailer (even on a creeper) is not fun unless you're maybe 25 and weigh 125 pounds.

So at some point, I reversed them again so the zerks are toward the outside, but I replaced all of them with 45º angled ones, pointed in the correct directions for easy access.

That has been my experience with inside/outside. For yourself it would depend on how easily you can scoot around under the trailer.

If you decide to do it yourself, it has been my experience that it is hard to make every thing line up.  Advice: use a couple of hydraulic jacks and do one bolt at a time, things won't shift so much.

Hope this helps...

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg

ScubaRx: Thanks for the advice and your points are well taken. I'm rethinking my decision and will likely go with the 45 degree angled zerks. I hadn't given much thought to having to scoot around under the trailer to access inward-aligned zerks . . . . and I'm at least 35 years and 50 pounds past the point of being able to do that with ease lol. I appreciate your tips.  - Brian

• Like 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery