Jump to content

A Certain Other Site for Selling RVs - Question


Recommended Posts

If any of you have ever used the site “RV Trader” — and I mean know how to use it — I opened a help ticket there and am awaiting a reply as to why, when I get a “Lead” email (as they call interested buyers), it is always one of two identical phrases and then I reply the same to both.

Robo contact 1: “Is your RV still for sale?”

Robo contact 2: “Can you provide more photos?”

I am running the least expensive 2-wk ad they offer. It limits you to 4 photos.

I saw all over the site to beware of scams and warnings about replying with personal information.

My ad there is the same as it is here in the Classifieds but after first 6-7 (to me, anyway, YMMV!) very stupid robo-questions, I edited my ad there to include this in BOLD at the top and bottom:

”Please see the Oliver Travel Trailer forum Classified section for more photos and tons of other information (URL). The forum is free and easy to sign up and they don’t spam, thanks.”

Even with that, still getting the same two questions, always worded identically. I lost it a little this last one and replied (in their interface as you are supposed to do), “Yes still for sale. I would not have the ad up if it was not for sale.”

Is it just me? What am I not “getting” about that site? 

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are looking at RV Trader as a buyer you can pick one of those pre formatted messages by clicking a box instead of typing your own question. You should reply to those messages. A simple “yes” was my reply to the “is it still for sale” question. If someone used the “more photos” message I would ask what area of the RV they wanted to see more photos of. Selling an RV requires a good deal of patience. You will be asked questions that have answers clearly stated in your ad. Remember you are dealing with the public, and by definition at least 50% of them are below average intelligence.

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stevon said:

If you are looking at RV Trader as a buyer you can pick one of those pre formatted messages by clicking a box instead of typing your own question. You should reply to those messages. A simple “yes” was my reply to the “is it still for sale” question. If someone used the “more photos” message I would ask what area of the RV they wanted to see more photos of. Selling an RV requires a good deal of patience. You will be asked questions that have answers clearly stated in your ad. Remember you are dealing with the public, and by definition at least 50% of them are below average intelligence.

Agree with stat at end of your reply. Boy do I. How would I send “more photos” to a stranger using the RVT interface though? The reply box for MY reply is only capable of text input. NO way to attach photos. And frankly the idea of Anonymous Joe wanting to see the inside of a three month old camper when I have provided the actual year and model PDF from OTT, vaguely disturbs me somehow. Like I said elsewhere, here, does Anonymous Joe think I may have painted the interior pink and green and installed a helipad on the E1’s roof? Ha! “Yes I thought I would customize a $65K + luxury travel trailer by doing some freehand graffiti inside. Breaks up all that white space, dontcha know? And I had green shag carpeting installed and ripped out the dinette and there are cinder blocks there now with a table fountain on them. Looks swell. Class-eh.”

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very frustrated and totally confused with replies on RV Trader. No response from their support. Paid $54 for ad with only 4 photos allowed and ad clearly states to come look here in Classifieds (sign up). Also says why I am selling just like ad here does.

I get these all the time over there:

“Could you send more photos of the 2021 Oliver LEGACY ELITE STANDARD? Why selling it when it is so new?”

—————-

 

I reply inside the RVTrader site and then never hear back. Twenty times already. 
 

What is going on? Anyone know? Is that site legit? Or what?

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheri,

My suggestion would be to put it on the FB group "Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale" (FREE!) and post as many photos as you can. When we sold our 5th Wheel I listed it on FB Marketplace (FREE!) and Craig's List ($5) with plenty of photos. It sold quickly. The Olivers that have been listed on the FB group above have all sold quickly as well.

I know you find it annoying to have to provide pictures, but think of it from the other persons point of view... if you were looking to purchase a nearly new RV and being asked to make a deposit sight unseen you would want to see pictures from every point of view, every nook and cranny, underneath, closets, close-ups, etc.  I probably posted 50+ photos when we were selling ours and provided any photo requested that I might not have thought to take.

Include photo of your bill of sale showing all the options.

Others with photos have sold within days to a week or so. I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not posting  actual photos of your trailer or emailing photos when requested. If nothing else, create a shareable photo album in the cloud and reply with a link to it so that they can look through all the pictures. Tell people in your add why you are selling after just purchasing.

The more information you are willing to spell out, post pictures of and talk up the RV the better your chances will be to sell it quickly.

Those are my ideas... hope they help.

Cindy

  • Thanks 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at Jay’s listing of his LE2 for sale and do the same.  Best listing I’ve ever seen. 
 

Clearly showed standard vs optional items, tons of good photos of uncluttered interior, and the original invoice.  
 

FWIW, I bought it. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Besides the classified on the forum, there are a couple of on line classified sites specific to molded fiberglass trailers. They cater to people selling and looking for Scamps, Casita's, Escapes, and the occasional Oliver.  This way you are hitting a more targeted audience who are looking for the same sized and style of your trailer. . 

  • Thanks 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TxTortoise said:

Look at Jay’s listing of his LE2 for sale and do the same.  Best listing I’ve ever seen. 
 

Clearly showed standard vs optional items, tons of good photos of uncluttered interior, and the original invoice.  
 

FWIW, I bought it. 

It is an excellent listing, and I would just copy and paste it, but that would be plagiarism. LOL Glad you are happy with your purchase. I have tried to explain everything as best I can here in my ad and on a website I made just for this sale, because I am getting so many people who are "serious" and then flake out after deciding the Elite 1 is too small for them. I have spent hours on phone calls with serious buyers. They say they want to come see it and don't. Or they never reply to my reply to their initial inquiry. I feel like a lot of people are not at all familiar with Ollies, and they are just contacting me asking questions I cannot begin to answer. Or that are answered clearly on OTT's website (shows add on Packages, etc.). I provided the 2021 Elite 1 brochure as well. It clearly shows all the pics and options. And I list all the add-on packages I have on mine. I don't know how much more clear I can be. People can find the website I made here. I hope it helps, but it might not. That's OK, I tried.

I am new to RVs and bought my build sight unseen having never been in an RV much less towed anything. I am only selling mine because I was going to live in it FT, and can't. That's just me.  Thanks for this post.

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, Time2Go! said:

Sheri,

My suggestion would be to put it on the FB group "Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale" (FREE!) and post as many photos as you can. When we sold our 5th Wheel I listed it on FB Marketplace (FREE!) and Craig's List ($5) with plenty of photos. It sold quickly. The Olivers that have been listed on the FB group above have all sold quickly as well.

I know you find it annoying to have to provide pictures, but think of it from the other persons point of view... if you were looking to purchase a nearly new RV and being asked to make a deposit sight unseen you would want to see pictures from every point of view, every nook and cranny, underneath, closets, close-ups, etc.  I probably posted 50+ photos when we were selling ours and provided any photo requested that I might not have thought to take.

Include photo of your bill of sale showing all the options.

Others with photos have sold within days to a week or so. I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not posting  actual photos of your trailer or emailing photos when requested. If nothing else, create a shareable photo album in the cloud and reply with a link to it so that they can look through all the pictures. Tell people in your add why you are selling after just purchasing.

The more information you are willing to spell out, post pictures of and talk up the RV the better your chances will be to sell it quickly.

Those are my ideas... hope they help.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, I am very tired of all the inquiries asking questions I answered already and that are in the ad, that's all. I have a lot going on. I have lost my only brother, my mom has the "mean" kind of dementia and I have no family anymore. On and on. I am about to take the Ollie to TX in mid-May and store it, and in the meantime I will leave the ad up here and the website I made for it. If that is not enough for people, I will never sell it, it will sit in storage, that's life. That's about where I am with this right now. Sorry. I know you mean to help, but I am just out of patience with the contacts and questions and so many don't seem to read the ad or something. I don't know what it is. Thank you again, very much. People don't know me, but I am a very honest nerd and would never sell anything to someone if I felt it would not be right for them. I talked one lady OUT of buying my Ollie because she was planning on living in it FT with a dog.

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheri, I think you inadvertently removed the price from you listing here.  At least it didn't jump out at me.

 

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TxTortoise said:

Sheri, I think you inadvertently removed the price from you listing here.  At least it didn't jump out at me.

 

Thank you so much, I just added it in the title and in the beginning of the ad. 

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

 

 

states.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...