Girard Power Awnings Pitch Adjustment

Fargoman

We have two Girard power awnings on our 2021 LE2, and as you can see in the photos, the pitch on the street side awning is lower in the front of the trailer than the rear. The curbside awning is pitched very slightly rearward. This is how they were adjusted when we took delivery - I didn't notice the difference until we were halfway back to Northern California.

The instructions in the Girard manual for adjusting the pitch looks fairly straightforward, but I'm not sure what adjusting the elbow height accomplishes.

My inclination (no pun) is to adjust the pitch on both awnings to be slightly lower towards the back of the trailer so rain would run off the awning in that direction, and on the curbside awning, not splash on the ground near the door. I'm aware that the awnings should not be left deployed in heavy rain.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to adjust the awnings. This is our first experience with awnings on a trailer, having camped for the last 6 years in a teardrop trailer.

2936C4BA-D558-43D0-8967-3FB57A3BD75E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.acf973cf65e79b4d7762a3575a566c4d.jpeg1ECB3859-9EA0-4F0A-873D-ED239E8F33EF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.302ac9e868ee1a6a23f031fa1c81cb65.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

After some more research online about awning adjustment, I think the 'elbow' adjustment is only done if the arms hit the awning casing when retracting, which is not happening on my awnings.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to adjusting the pitch of the two awnings today. Instructions were on pages 197 to 199 in the 2021 Legacy Elite 2 Standard Features manual.

I wanted both awnings to be lower at the rear of the trailer so water would run off in that direction, and away from the entry door on the curb side. The curb side awning was already somewhat lower to the rear of the trailer, but I increased the pitch to lower it slightly more. The street side awning was pitched in the opposite direction, which didn't really matter since there is no door on that side, but I like symmetry, so I adjusted them to be the same.

The adjustment is really easy, and you almost don't need to use a 17 mm wrench. With the awning fully extended, and lifting the awning arm slightly to relieve pressure on the adjusting cam, I was able to turn nut by hand (CW to raise, CCW to lower whichever arm you're adjusting). Like many mechnical tasks, it took longer to figure out how to do the job than to perform the job.

I didn't need to adjust the elbow height of the hinged support arms, because they still retracted properly after adjusting the pitch.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 3

Adjusting the awing is just part of the problem when it comes to good and safe awing use. I would recommend using some type of poles on the ends to brace the awing from winds and if it rains from water ponding on the awing. Very little wind does whip the awing quite a bit and it needs to be stabilized from this happing. I use the Green Elephant ones sold on Amazon, they are actual poles that slide in and out and store easily in the trailer, some use the painters poles, but they take-up more room and don't slide together as short as the Green Elephant ones do. Also tie down straps are recommended for good stabilization of the awing. Note, you will have to drill a hole in the under side of the awing housing at each end to put the tent pole post in to affix the Green Elephant post, I did also put in a rubber grommet for a good fit.   https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephant-Telescoping-Tarp-Poles/dp/B072K1B91Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3DKR0M4KHD2UV&keywords=green+elephant+telescoping+tarp+poles&qid=1645367226&sprefix=green+elephant%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-5

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 10 months later...

The Girard Awnings will not hold up in any measureable wind speed over 5mph - even with the auto motion sensor to close during a wind event.  When fully deployed they are just too heavy for the structural support system if there is a slight breeze.  Using the Elephant Poles as Trainman has suggested is an excellent idea whenever the awnings are deployed - just make sure to disable the motion sensor(s) if you secure the ends with the poles and a tie down.

• Like 3

FYI if you camp in many parts of the West, where fluky, strong  and unexpected wind gusts happen - downbursts, williwas, dust devils, whatever you want to call them - do not leave your awnings out when you away from the trailer. Better yet, leave them retracted all the time. That sort of makes awnings completely unusable, doesn’t it? If not for the future resale value I would take my single Fianma off completely. I very rarely open it.

And tie down your CLAM, low and angled sharply downwards, not sideways, so it can collapse without harm.

I experienced one while tent camping on the White Rim Road, Canyonlands NP, in late May. It was about 90 degrees, sunny, NO breeze, then suddenly a very violent gust ripped through the site, blowing my loose gear toward the Colorado River, but thankfully not into it. A minute later the air was calm. Lesson learned... 

https://www.weather.gov/fgz/DustDevil

https://www.rvtravel.com/southwest-snowbirds-beware-wind-many-names/

I think Oliver should make the awnings optional, on both sides.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.