Rear Receiver

I'm very close to finalizing my decision on the rear receiver install on my ILOVHER when I visit the Mothership in May.  I've read through all the posts regarding the 150# weight limit and the 1.25" receiver limitations for decent bike racks.    I don't want to rehash those threads because I'm aware how rear weight can be dangerous and the reasons Oliver chose to do it.  I had a custom 2" receiver on the back of my Casita.  I stayed within the weight limits, it offered an offset of tongue weight and the cargo space was super useful to me. 

I DO NOT in any way intend on carrying excessive weight as my primary use will be for a much smaller poly utility chest that weighs about 70# (if that)  The aluminum cargo carrier itself is only 30# but has a 2" hitch mount.

I have found that it's difficult for me to access my tools and various camping supplies from the box in bed of my truck since I'm so short.  I'm always in that chest for something or another and it's heavy for me to slide forward on to the tailgate.    This is an expensive upgrade for me and I would like opinions on whether I should have Oliver leave off the 1.25" aluminum receiver piece and bolt on an 2" aftermarket receiver to that rear cross channel  OR, should I just buy an adapter?   I'm sure it voids any warranty.. If I ever would carry a bicycle, I would probably only have one back there on a rack I already own...again a 2" mount.    I realize this is also going to add a couple feet more to the back of my trailer, harder access to sewer and probably something else I'm forgetting. 

Thanks in advance for your replys.

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

I don’t know if you have the payload capacity for some type of sliding truck bed or if you have thought about one.  Several OTTO’s and utilize one to facilitate access to items in the bed.  One of the most common uses is for a refrigerator.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

I don’t know if you have the payload capacity for some type of sliding truck bed or if you have thought about one.  Several OTTO’s and utilize one to facilitate access to items in the bed.  One of the most common uses is for a refrigerator.

Mossey

Thank you.. And no.. My payload is pretty low because of some extra suspension on my Tundra so I'm trying to reduce that some. 

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

Here is a 2" mod for the Oliver 1-1/4" bike rack.

Mossey

I read through all of that and must have missed the core removal.   That could be an option to explore.  I guess I didn't entirely see how the receiver was built.  

• Moderators

A PM to Patriot could give you some additional details on this mod and how its been holding up over time.

Good luck.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

11 hours ago, csevel said:

I read through all of that and must have missed the core removal.   That could be an option to explore.  I guess I didn't entirely see how the receiver was built.  

csevel:

I have the Oliver rear receiver. I took off the 1-1/4 receiver completely, as I did not want to remove the insert in the receiver and have a thin receiver.

I bought a new 2" receiver, had a welder weld side ears on the receiver, and bolted the new 2" receiver on the center of the rear receiver cross plate. The welder also gave me plates for under the receiver cross plate for the bolts to bear against. I only use this for a bike rack for my two very light fiberglass bikes which weigh a lot less than 150 lbs.

I think this arrangement is a lot better and secure then bolting to the rear bumper plate.

If you want, PM me and I can send you a few pictures.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 4/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, csevel said:

I DO NOT in any way intend on carrying excessive weight as my primary use will be for a much smaller poly utility chest that weighs about 70# (if that)  The aluminum cargo carrier itself is only 30# but has a 2" hitch mount.

Currently looking at rear storage options and am curious as to what you've found.  I don't want anything huge, and prefer that it is "lifted" a bit to prevent scraping.  TIA

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg