Removing Dometic RM2454 fridge for service, any tips, tricks or gotchas?

Is it simply a matter of disconnecting the gas supply, the two sets of power wires, and the drain tube?

D2082AD5-13D4-42EA-B9F0-30A11D8B3C49.thumb.jpeg.7ee141148f601c9662b82cb8b1d1afaf.jpeg

The upper baffle plates, do they just pull out after cutting the tape? There is some more tape down low on the left that has to get cut.

74690516-97E2-444A-9F84-ADA0481CF53F.thumb.jpeg.528349f28b38eabb3fe9ebff199fdbc5.jpeg

I bought a Fridge Defend and was HOPING that I could install the temp sensor onto the boiler tube in situ, but there is no way I can reach that part of the tube, because the bottom access panel is so darned restricted. Why is it so tiny??? Grrrrr.😤

FYI, the Dometic owners manual cautions that the fridge must be removed annually for inspection. I am sure this was inserted by the lawyers because of the fire risk, but I have never had mine out. Do any other owners remove these every year?😳 If there is a thread about this, please point me in the right direction. How long should this take to do? Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I got SeaDawg’s message and replied to it. No problem at my end. I have not seen yours.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I guess I’m confused as to why you’d want to remove a working unit.  My Elite II was delivered with a defective refrigerator at initial factory pickup.  In order to replace the defective unit the whole door frame had to be removed so they could make the swap.  The refrigerator unit is bigger than the door frame, but smaller than the door opening.  It’s a major undertaking to get the refrigerator out and onto the bench in the shop for a likely unneeded service.  

Nothing else to add other than be ready to remove the whole door frame or be ready to service on the dinette.   

Ken

• Like 4

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

I do not want to remove it. I have to remove it to install the Fridge Defend temp sensor on the burner tube, inside the steel heat shield and insulation... I can just leave the fridge inside the cabin, and work on it there. I really wanted to be able to blow all the dust out of the nooks and crannies, maybe a vacuum will suffice.

Thanks for the info about the door…😳 That is quite disturbing. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

11 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The upper baffle plates, do they just pull out after cutting the tape? There is some more tape down low on the left that has to get cut.

74690516-97E2-444A-9F84-ADA0481CF53F.thumb.jpeg.528349f28b38eabb3fe9ebff199fdbc5.jpeg

John,

The top aluminum plate will come out easily with tape removed or cut, if that's your question.

• Like 2

2015 LE2