Canada National Parks Campground

ThomB87

Campground Reservations

FYI for anyone planning to head to Canada. Canada National Parks is updating their reservation system. If you have ever had an account with them you will need to set up a new account starting March 3rd. 

The good news is for this year it is not too late to make reservations. The system is doing a staggered roll out. Reservations for this year open at different times based upon Provence and Park. For example Jasper National Park opens March 16th and Banff National Park March 23rd. Leave it to the Canadians to do it in a civilized fashion. Instead of midnight, the reservations open at 8 AM in the time zone of the park.   

• Thanks 5
  • Like 3

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

Thanks for the information, Bill. Yesterday I began planning a trip from northern California to Canada to visit Banff and Jasper National parks, and was confused by the reservation system - it wasn't clear that reservations for the parks are staggered. As I've done on previous trips, I make reservations in the most popular locations first, and work backwards from those available dates. It doesn't always work out as I would have preferred, but being retired give me flexibility with scheduling.

Reading comments on the earlier post, 'Anchorage or Bust', gave me the notion to visit Jasper. I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone about places to visit and camp. My initial plan is to head northeast and enter Canada north of Bonner's Ferry ID on Hwy. 95, then proceed towards Banff. After visiting Banff and Jasper National Parks, the goal is to head towards Abbotsford BC then head south to the Vancouver WA area before returning home.

• Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Yes I was confused as well at first.  I was being shown available campsites. But when I tried to reserve one I got an error message to the effect about it being the wrong year.  

• Like 2

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• 8 months later...

I called the canada parks reservation system this week ( November 2023) and the gentleman said the system would not be functioning until January or February of 2024. I am still confused, but the investigation continues. I want to make reservations in Jasper/Banff area for August 2024. If anyone has good info to share, I would greatly  appreciate it.

Sherrill

Hi, Sherrill,  I camped at Banff NP.  Aug.28 for 5 days. Made the reservation at the end of March. No problem.. Stayed at Tunnel Mountain Village 2. Had great weather..  Didn’t make it up to Jasper..  Drove up Ice fields parkway to Columbia glacier.. Good luck next year..

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

Thanks for the updates.  We’re planning Nova Scotia and it wasn’t clear when those reservable sites will be online.  Looks like checking back often will be required in Feb24.

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Jasper is one of my favorite little towns. Once you find a parking spot, everything else is walkable. The old theater is now a brewery. Great bakeries, excellent laundromat (pizza restaurant above), and super nice folks. Short drive from jasper National campground.  

Icefield parkway visitors center is a lovely place to spend the day, and night, camping in the parking lot, for a small fee overnight. (No reservations. )

We didn't care much for Banff, too touristy/disney-fied, but really enjoyed lovely Lake Louise.

Have a great trip.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.