Active-controls soft start for generator use

It seems that not everything that this video claims to be is nor accurate. I can’t recommend this product. 

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• The title was changed to Active-controls soft start for generator use
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators
On 7/5/2023 at 6:40 AM, Patriot said:

his review does not have me convinced it will function as a soft start.
Thoughts?

In all fairness, the devices he "tested" in the video you posted  are listed as not suitable on the active start website, with his almost 15k ac, and a puny 2000 startup/1600 watt running genset. (Not puny for me, with an 9.5k ac, but puny for a 14.5k ac like his.) Website says will not work with a solar generator. 

https://active-controls-llc.myshopify.com/products/activestart-30-amp-acs30p

This guy probably gives a better, more in depth review. He has a big 4k genset, but he can run his 13.5 k ac in ecomode, with the activestart. 

I have read that it may be problematic if you have a hybrid inverter, like a victron multiplus. 

Since warranty is voided on a number of ac units if you add a softstart physically wired to the unit, this could possibly be a good alternative.  Also possibly good for non tech folks, or those who don't want to work on the slippery roof.

Price tag is certainly higher than a soft start wired to the ac.  

Maybe someone can drill down further into what the unit "actually" does, and why it works, if it does.

Why do you need it with your Honda 3200i? Are you hoping to run in eco mode? I'm curious.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

On Amazon, $485, for the 30 amp,  but it does include a dogbone. 🙂

and, free returns. 🙂

ActiveStart Softstart RV Air Conditioning 30 Amp Rating; 115 VAC; Reduces inrush current for generators.15K BTU Needs min 2500Watt 13.5K needs 2300Watt Not for Solar Generators https://a.co/d/fK8bpqW

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

So...  we recently bought the bonding ground plug for our well used Honda EU2000 genset so we can run our Dometic Penguin --- all good, when needed.  The game changer in the ActiveStart SoftStarter upgrade is definitely the energy consumption analysis feature of the app, IMO.  Those that have the Victron energy monitoring system get an even better energy analysis because of the GUI feature of that unit...  but at a higher cost, right?  However, $485 for the ActiveStart unit buys us a ton of cold ones...  just say'n.

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

So, @MAX Burner, does the addition of the bonding plug allow you to run the dometic? I kind of remember problems, before, with your honda 2000.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

18 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

does the addition of the bonding plug allow you to run the dometic? I

@SeaDawg:  YES! 100%...  The microwave (which we really never use anyway) will not operate when the Dometic A/C unit is running off the EU2000i.  The ground bonding plug was the key to making this a game-changer for us!

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

@SeaDawg:  YES! 100%...  The microwave (which we really never use anyway) will not operate when the Dometic A/C unit is running off the EU2000i.  The ground bonding plug was the key to making this a game-changer for us!

I'm confused. You do realize that without the neutral-ground bonding plug installed, neither of these can run since there will be NO generator supplied 120V getting past the EMS in your trailer? The plug does not change the amount of current coming in, but allows the EMS to accept the electricity in a configuration that it expects and will accept. The microwave and air conditioner are never going to run at the same time off a 2000 watt generator no matter what you add. I've never tried, but I doubt they would run together with my Yamaha 3000 watt.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

3 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I'm confused. You do realize that without the neutral-ground bonding plug installed, neither of these can run since there will be NO generator supplied 120V getting past the EMS in your trailer? The plug does not change the amount of current coming in, but allows the EMS to accept the electricity in a configuration that it expects and will accept. The microwave and air conditioner are never going to run at the same time off a 2000 watt generator no matter what you add. I've never tried, but I doubt they would run together with my Yamaha 3000 watt.

We're saying the same thing, you've stated it much better than I tried to do, however.  As new OTT owners, we weren't aware of the need for the neutral-ground bonding plug until reading this thread over the past several weeks.  Thanks for your clarification - it will certainly help many others understand the EMS role in the OTT electrical system.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

• Moderators

Yeah, @ScubaRx,

The neutral ground plug is essential. I think activestart actually includes that, too, with the dogbone, in their kits.

That was an unfortunate side conversation with me and max burner, sort of off topic.

The neutral ground plug, as we know, fixes the floating ground issue of most portable generators.

the activestart that @Patriot initially posted purports to supply the function of a soft start, but for the whole line in, not just at the ac. Allowing easier "ramp up", or adding in power, like a power auto former, but how it works its hoodoo magic, I'm not sure.

Activestart markets their device as an alternative to soft start.

I guess you or I could drill down a bit more? 

If the activestart actually works, it could be possibly a good solution for those who don't have a soft start, don't know how to install one, or don't want to void the warranty on a new ac, and/or  don't want to get on the roof... $485 is much less expensive than an er visit. (If the thing performs.)

But, it's expensive, and, as I said before, I've read it may cause issues with hybrid inverters like the victron multiplus. 

I'd value your opinion if you have time to look at the activestart.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

My apologies to all for my late reply to this post. My mother passed away very suddenly on July 6 and we have been traveling with our Oliver to be with family and mourn our loss. 

During this trip we have successfully run our Truma Aventa with our Honda 3200i in eco mode for a very ptshort period. As a result, I see no need for a soft start for our AC based on our results using the 3200i to power the Truma.

7/21/23 edit - see update below. No go on ECO mode running the Truma AC.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

@Patriot, we are so very sorry for your loss. 

No apologies necessary.  Spend your time with your family, and hopefully the good memories, and your faith, will carry you and sustain you through this very difficult time.

Our sincere condolences. 

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

An update to my above post on using the Honda 3200i to run the Truma Aventa AC in ECO mode. The 3200 will NOT run the Truma 13.5 AC in ECO mode for a continuous period of time. After a further shakedown, I learned that running the Truma off of the 3200i in ECO the Truma compressor would not cycle back on to restart the cooling process.

Edit - After a long discussion with a Truma rep essentially I learned that to run the Truma AC most generators will need to be run in normal mode. The 3200i has enough power to run the Truma in normal engine mode perfectly fine. 

Another member on this forum recently purchased the Active Start. It did not work when used on his 3200i to attempt to run the gen in eco mode powering his Truma. Based on this members review I cannot recommend the Active Start. It’s a no go.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 7/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, Patriot said:

My apologies to all for my late reply to this post. My mother passed away very suddenly on July 6 and we have been traveling with our Oliver to be with family and mourn our loss.

David,

So sorry to hear about your Mother. Debbie and I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Bill

• Love 2
  • Care 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150/5.0L / North Carolina

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Patriot said:

Another member on this forum recently purchased the Active Start. It did not work when used on his 3200i to attempt to run the gen in eco mode powering his Truma. Based on this members review I cannot recommend the Active Start. It’s a no go.

I hope he's still in the return window. A pricey unit, for no result.

• Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

11 hours ago, rideandfly said:

David,

So sorry to hear about your Mother. Debbie and I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Bill

Thank you Bill, I really appreciate it. I will be in touch when we return.

David

• Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I hope he's still in the return window. A pricey unit, for no result.

He got a full refund as promised by Active Start.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Patriot said:

He got a full refund as promised by Active Start.

Whew!  That was a close one!  Glad they stood by their promise...

• Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA