Truma Aventa Retrofit - Observations

MobileJoy

We had the retrofit completed on 6/23 and have the following observations:

Truma Aventa Improvements over Dometic Penguin:

1. Drastic reduction in noise volume. I can hear it but unlike the Penguin I can talk over it with normal voice and be heard. I can watch movies and listen to music now without resorting to absurd volume levels. From outside the trailer it is almost impossible to determine that it’s running. At Camp Oliver, I noted the latter on two other OEIIs, one new and one other retrofit.
  2. Having a remote allows control without having to get out of bed.
  3. In high humidity environments, the dehumidify mode can quickly cut the relative humidity in half (about 15 minutes, not measured).
  4. I haven’t measured it yet but it does appear to reduce trailer maximum height by a couple of inches.
  5. The interior feels more comfortable with the Aventa than with the Penguin. It distributes air better and cools more quickly.

Anomalies:

1. According to Oliver and Truma, the filters are not cleanable and must be replaced at an approximate cost of $30/pair. (The filters do however appear to be cleanable.) The Penguin has cleanable filters.
  2. Dehumidify function is not available on CPPlus control.
  3. The CPPlus and IR remote controls are independent. Neither learns all of the settings performed by the other control (the CPPlus does learn some settings).  This is not relevant to the water heater which can only be controlled by the CPPlus.
  4. The CPPlus rotary push button has a very stiff feel. I often have to push it multiple times to get it to work while avoiding applying excessive force. I wonder if this is a defective unit?
  5. The dehumidify function may drastically lower the temperature. I noted a nine degree drop (to 62) the first time I used it. On subsequent uses, the drop was more like 3-4 degrees.
  6. The dehumidify function is free-running with no added control. For example, there is no way to set a desired relative humidity nor a temperature limiting range.
  7. The lower panel cover on the IR remote is mostly in the way. Commonly used functions such as Dehumidify and Night Mode are hidden. I slide the panel open and then do not latch it closed unless I’m traveling.
  8. The IR receiver is too precise, meaning that one must accurately point the remote at it for the function to take effect. This results in a common error, meaning the Retransmit button should also not be hidden below the sliding cover.
  9. I have found that the sliding cover is too stiff and difficult to open.
  10. There is no illumination on the remote making it impossible to use most functions in the dark. About the only thing that can be done is to change the temperature or turn it off/on. The CPPlus is illuminated.
  11. When, for example, Auto Mode has previously been set by the IR remote, changing this from the CPPlus control can be challenging. First, one must set Cool mode and the temperature and wait for it to take effect (the panel reverts to normal idle display). Then one can set the fan speed. Before Cool mode has been set, any attempt to control the fan speed will show only the Auto option. Except when using Dehumidify mode, it almost makes sense to use the CPPlus panel to do everything.
  12. When the Aventa is On, the fan is running. Auto mode will not shut the fan off when the cooling cycle ends.
  13. Perhaps I’ll become more comfortable with this over time, but I find this control system to be unnecessarily complicated and not very user friendly. For this level of product, this is an area where much more attention should have been paid. For example, the ease of controlling the AquaGo with the rotary switch (rotate one position from Off to Comfort) is replaced by: press button to wake-up; rotate to water heater; press button; rotate to COMFORT mode; press button to set mode; press button again to confirm 120 degree water temperature.
  14. When fully equipped (2023 models), the CPPlus becomes a common point of failure for the AC, heater, and water heater. Let's hope it is very reliable.

I opted for the CPPlus because it provided a redundant control, and in the hope that Truma/Oliver will eventually offer the VarioHeat as an upgrade.

The CPPlus panel and IR remote do not appear to be software upgradable. Once you’ve bought into it, what you see is what you get.

The CPPlus panel says that it’s iNet Ready. Truma discontinued iNet on 1/1/23, replacing it with iNet X. They show a picture of a different control panel than the CPPlus that Oliver is selling. Truma still sells CPPlus, calling it their “basic” operating panel. iNet is an external box that must be wired into the panel, and would probably have to be installed below the Oliver dinette seat.

Truma offers the iNet X panel as a retrofit for the CPPlus. The iNet X panel can be updated via the iNet X app. There is no mention of an upgradable remote. AFAIK, there is no external box, only the iNet X panel and app. It is unclear whether or not the iNet X panel will physically fit into the required space in the OEII. Also note that depending on model year and possibly other factors, Oliver installed the Truma AquaGo rotary knob, Xantrex panel, and SeeLevel panels in different ordering, which may also have an effect on the ability to install an iNet X panel.

Having noted these anomalies, also note that we are very pleased with the Aventa itself.

• Like 6

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

OEM Aventa on 2023 Elite. I concur with all of the above, except my measured height is ~2 inches higher than spec. I didn't have older AC to compare, but specification says 9 ft. (0 inches) I measured approx 9 ft 1.5 inches. Hopefully I never cut it that close. BTW, I did operate the AC on shore power 20A ckt, started and ran flawlessly. Onboard power monitor shows 6A when operating (after startup).

• Like 5

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

• 1 month later...

Thanks @MobileJoy

I just got my Oliver.  The dummy I am, I did not even know I had a remote for the AC.

I have been fighting with the AC.  It does not seem to dehumidify right.  I will see if I can tune it using the remote.  I have been trying to do everything with the control panel on the wall. 

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

6 minutes ago, HDRider said:

I have been fighting with the AC.  It does not seem to dehumidify right. 

The dehumidify function is only available on the remote. Slide the slider down and press the raindrop button. Make sure the “command” is registered with the AC unit, a blue led light on the street side of the AC should light up…I think twice. The dehumidify function works very well for us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

20 hours ago, rich.dev said:

The dehumidify function works very well for us.

It works well for us too. However, although humidity is reduced, temperature is also reduced, and this can be drastic. I have noted temperatures as cold as 60 degrees.

20 hours ago, HDRider said:

It does not seem to dehumidify right.  I will see if I can tune it using the remote.

Hopefully the remote did the trick, and there is nothing wrong with your unit.

• Thanks 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

2 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

Hopefully the remote did the trick, and there is nothing wrong with your unit.

I'll be able to tell after our next trip.

It seems most humid in the cabin a few hours before we start out day

I went out and fiddled with the remote.  It seems like a big difference than just using the control panel.

Is using "Auto" on the CP about the same as putting it on dehumidify on the remote?

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

24 minutes ago, HDRider said:

I'll be able to tell after our next trip.

It seems most humid in the cabin a few hours before we start out day

I went out and fiddled with the remote.  It seems like a big difference than just using the control panel.

Is using "Auto" on the CP about the same as putting it on dehumidify on the remote?

From what we learned from the Truma tech at the rally, dehumidify  is its own feature only on the remote. When we want to rapidly reduce humidity we use the rain drop button on the remote. This has worked really well for us. The owners manual/instructions for the Truma being translated from German to English are not great. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 9/2/2023 at 10:57 PM, Ralph Mawyer said:

Just had retrofit done......love the lack of an AC impersonating jet engines in the Oliver.    I can't imagine not getting the Truma in a new trailer, for resale value alone.

I agree on the much quieter lower decibel rating of the Truma retro fit. It was a complete 💯 game changer for us. I also agree on the leverage having the Truma regrading resale value. It really nice being able to listen to music, talk on the phone and sleep without ear plugs. What’s wrong with a little peace and quiet in a $70-80k TT? 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

It's interesting the comments about having to aim the remote for IR communication. Our remote seems to be very wide in it's transmission. I mounted the remote holder on the side of the curb side cabinet and it's never missed a que. Even holding the remote in hand with my back to the AC unit the remote almost always communicates successfully. Not sure what would cause this to vary from one unit to the other. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map