Rear cargo tray and Storage box install with Water softener

Ollie-Haus

We got our LE2 with the bike rack mount and realized we will probably always carry our folding Ebikes in the back of the truck under cover. With that understanding we decided to add a cargo tray and locking box for general items needed for setup, and camp site necessities. Obviously weight is a critical factor so with the tray, box and gear inside we are shooting for less than 200# total. I'm sure we have succeeded after adding up the weigh of all items. 

The most difficult part is making the extended rails for the tray to mount on. I used the same T6061 aluminum that Oliver uses on their frame members. It's available in small sizes at local metal supply houses such as Metal Supermarket. The aluminum tubing drills and cuts easily with carbide woodworking tools. Use a little lite oil on the blade to keep the aluminum from fowling the blade. You must use good eye protection when cutting. I copied the way the bike rack rails were machined. 

Here's the results of the project:

image.thumb.jpeg.86c6f740d9b44d44b5f8ea459583617b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a931d783931e97e33789b1c4868a6dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.836a74d52f282ed8f2a51cd81c5cf643.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf89800a60880543aeabb1143fb95cbb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d0a10b8ec3687dca46e3a9b9a71ccef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.53e2bbc6cd9ece70f5d6dfe2571a4a91.jpeg

We have pulled the camper a couple times for local camp outs and the weight of the addition is completely unnoticeable while towing. 

The box is well made but light weight with locking double latch system. It has a double layer of aluminum in the lid and is foam filled to keep the contents from heating up too much in direct sun. The whole thing is very sturdy and at 220 pounds I can stand on the box lid to see the top of the camper with no effect to the box lid. Good traction and very solid. 

The softener tank is mounted with a tank wall mount and strap and is set up with quick connects and the standard hoses hook up in just a minute. The softener comes with a regeneration kit and it takes about an hour to perform a regeneration using a box of table salt. It will last up to 2000 gallons of water depending on the mineral content. No need to remove the tank for regeneration, just connect the kit to the external QD fittings and run the process. When done, you are good to go for a few more camping trips. No more hard water scale or rust on pluming fixtures. Remove the tank for winter storage inside the garage. 

I'm very pleased with the overall project. The box can be removed just as the bike mount is removed for spare tire access. You can actually access the spare without completely removing the tray assembly, Just slide it out about 6-8 inches and the cover and tire are removeable. 

I bought a self lit license frame and mounted to the back of the tray. I added a plug connection to the license light wire to power the new license plate light. I wanted a removable connection for obvious reasons. The connection is mounted on the lower part of the spare tire cover under the original license bracket. The old license plate bracket is still useable if the tray and box are removed. 

Tray:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017H9N4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MK4F68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

License Bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/Car-License-Plate-Light-Chrome/dp/B00S1Y5TSK?pd_rd_w=jpDah&content-id=amzn1.sym.e8faeee7-63c9-4cb3-96e0-e50a41f3b35b&pf_rd_p=e8faeee7-63c9-4cb3-96e0-e50a41f3b35b&pf_rd_r=018MZ7KVYFFMGM0WSKBV&pd_rd_wg=mdsBW&pd_rd_r=eff79229-c9bb-45a5-8656-400649d9a361&pd_rd_i=B00S1Y5TSK&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_t

Softener:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y2KNFFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Tank Bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00208DY76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 12

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

that's very nice and motivating for sure. Always thinking about how to carry more stuff especially with an at-capacity truck. Now you've got me thinking about a(smaller) truck box for the rear bumper / bike add-on for our LE I

• Like 1

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

2 hours ago, LeBill said:

that's very nice and motivating for sure. Always thinking about how to carry more stuff especially with an at-capacity truck. Now you've got me thinking about a(smaller) truck box for the rear bumper / bike add-on for our LE I

Nice thing is, if you have axle capacity and keep every thing correct, this will offset a little bit of tongue weight. You could theoretically add something like this, add a tongue mounted bike rack as others have done and end up with a net zero in added tongue weight to the tow vehicle. 

With this basket, I'm using the Oliver tongue basket for heavy items, such as fire wood. I have a WeighSafe hitch so I always monitor my tongue weight when loading. I prefer to be a little on the heavy side up front. 

• Like 3

States Visited Map

3 hours ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

That's some impressive craftsmanship! Nice work.

I really wanted to maintain the OEM look. With the diamond plate on the bumper assembly and the use of the bike rack style mounting bracket I think we got it. 

• Like 3

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

I really wanted to maintain the OEM look. With the diamond plate on the bumper assembly and the use of the bike rack style mounting bracket I think we got it. 

Very nicely done! 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Very clean looking modification, BRAVO ZULU!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX