Should I keep my roof vent open while using Damp Rid over the winter?

Steve Morris

In my teardrop, I'd leave the lid on the Fantastic Fan open all winter for ventilation. Never had moisture problems, but it was completely different than the Oliver.

I received a pack of the DampRid tubs and a pack of the IV bag style from Amazon today. I've never used them before, and to me it seems like they would counteract each other. One removes moisture, and the other allows air circulation, which would include moisture.

Winters here are moderate, with only a few days below zero, maybe a couple feet of snow total, and plenty of overcast days. What's the recommendation on leaving the roof vent open?

Thanks!

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Steve, do you store your trailer inside or outside?

I'll let people from your climate zone answer your question.  In Florida, I leave it open.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ours will be sitting outside in Indiana. I'll be leaving the vents closed.

I'm leaving a counter top dehumidifier running all winter in the Oliver. I don't think it's going to do much as when the temps drop below the 40 degree mark, it's readout on the front as well as a second hydrometer in the camper usually read a humidity level of less than 45%. I'm also leaving a small electric heater running all winter to keep the inside temps above freezing. This will allow the compressor style dehumidifier to run all winter without low temperature issues. It has a drain hose hanging in the galley sink so it won't have to be monitored regularly. Of course ours will remain connected to shore power throughout the winter storage. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BTBYT96F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.png.dfbe2743dd34d89ad321b33fee3ade16.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BB725X9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.cd63d01a67e7f3dec412249a7dcdd239.png

• Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

43 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

In my teardrop, I'd leave the lid on the Fantastic Fan open all winter for ventilation. Never had moisture problems, but it was completely different than the Oliver.

I received a pack of the DampRid tubs and a pack of the IV bag style from Amazon today. I've never used them before, and to me it seems like they would counteract each other. One removes moisture, and the other allows air circulation, which would include moisture.

Winters here are moderate, with only a few days below zero, maybe a couple feet of snow total, and plenty of overcast days. What's the recommendation on leaving the roof vent open?

Thanks!

To directly address your question Steve, I would recommend closing the trailer up tight if you are using moisture absorbing packs. If you leave the vent open, whenever the humidity level outside rises higher than that in the camper, new moisture will be introduced into the camper which the desiccant will have to absorb. These packs only have so much capacity. If the camper is closed tight and the humidity level is brought down, the camper should remain dry after that until it's opened up again.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

States Visited Map

• Moderators

On our boat, and in the Ollie, out of season, we remove anything that absorbs moisture.  Cushions, bedding, towels, etc. (Florida) Those items live in semi-comdtioned space, in the garage.

We clean the heck out if the interior, before storage. And, I wax the interior walls and other fiberglass surfaces. The one year I didn't, I got som mildew in the bath sink top. (Not granitefiber-original white , that was a pita to remove.) 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Here in Western North Carolina our winters are a tad milder than yours.  The advice from Ollie-Haus above is sound.

I use Damp-rid "tubs" so that I can simply use them year after year and just buy the "refill" jugs to keep them topped up during the winter - I only usually all an inch or two once during the winter.  Never had a problem with moisture although like Seadawg I too remove my mattress and cushions and rugs for the winter.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

I buy the sort of damp rid tubs at my local dollar tree (now dollar + a quarter tree) store. They work very well. I keep them un sinks, and shower floor.

damp rid us quite expensive. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Steve, do you store your trailer inside or outside?

An important bit of info I left out! It will be sitting in the driveway uncovered.

We’ll be in Florida for the Egg Rally in January and then visiting my brother in New Smyrna Beach afterwards. We’d planned on bouncing around Florida for a bit until I found out all the campgrounds are booked solid a year ahead. Then a stop in Murfreesboro to seem some guys about ceramic coating and then home until spring. 

Bill, I saw the refillable tubs, and will use those in the future if this works out okay. 

Chris, I can imagine how fast my electric meter would spin leaving an electric heater going all winter! 😳 I do that in March this year instead of winterizing for just a few weeks, and could almost feel my wallet getting lighter. 

I’ll close the vent. Thanks for the help, gang!

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators

If you poke around, you can find sites, especially weekdays. But, it's tough. 

We rarely camp in Florida in season. Some beautiful state parks, outside of urban areas, may still be available. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 10/28/2023 at 10:54 PM, Steve Morris said:

An important bit of info I left out! It will be sitting in the driveway uncovered.

We’ll be in Florida for the Egg Rally in January and then visiting my brother in New Smyrna Beach afterwards. We’d planned on bouncing around Florida for a bit until I found out all the campgrounds are booked solid a year ahead. Then a stop in Murfreesboro to seem some guys about ceramic coating and then home until spring. 

Bill, I saw the refillable tubs, and will use those in the future if this works out okay. 

Chris, I can imagine how fast my electric meter would spin leaving an electric heater going all winter! 😳 I do that in March this year instead of winterizing for just a few weeks, and could almost feel my wallet getting lighter. 

I’ll close the vent. Thanks for the help, gang!

😆 I get what you're saying Steve, and to make it clear, this is an experiment first and foremost. I know I'll have the "climate" under control in the camper, but what I don't know is how much this will cost. 🙄

If it's ridiculous I'll simply revert to plan B. I do plan on keeping the camper just above freezing inside, we'll see how that works. Part of the experiment is on how well the little heater can keep up. Also how warm the basement spaces stay throughout the season. I have recording WIFI sensors in both sides and the battery compartment for tracking. Here's to throwing money out just for the fun of experimentation. 🍻 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

• Moderators
On 10/28/2023 at 8:46 PM, SeaDawg said:

I buy the sort of damp rid tubs at my local dollar tree (now dollar + a quarter tree) store. They work very well. I keep them un sinks, and shower floor.

damp rid us quite expensive. 

Those "tubs" that are available at the $1.25 store are very small relative to the ones I'm talking about. 

I do place one of those $1.25 jobs in the shower pan, but I also put tow of the larger "re-fillable ones" in the aisle.  I know that the large tubs have been available at WalMart in the RV section from time to time.

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

I have used DampRid 1 gallon containers for years. I keep everything closed and install one in the rear and one by the dinette with the bathroom door open. I keep EvaDry charcoal packets in the closet and another in the bathroom. Very happy with the job they do

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

On 10/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, Steve Morris said:

DampRid

Beware of potential ill effects from formaldehyde. Many people are fine with exposure, but others suffer greatly. 

• Wow 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

13 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Beware of potential ill effects from formaldehyde. Many people are fine with exposure, but others suffer greatly. 

I was not aware of the potential for problems. Thanks! I'll look into that

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

I was not aware of the potential for problems. Thanks! I'll look into that

As far as I know - the "active ingredient in DampRid and "like products" is nothing but salt.

However, I'm not a chemist - therefore, there may be reactions to salt that I'm not aware of.  But, certainly there are no "warning labels" on these products that mention anything with regards to formaldehyde.

Bill

Near Asheville, NC

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

As far as I know - the "active ingredient in DampRid and "like products" is nothing but salt.

Since I’ve had bad reactions, I haven’t shopped these products in years. Maybe they have changed them, but I believe they still have the distinct odor of formaldehyde that I remember — as I encounter them on store shelves now and then. 

• Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

• Moderators

A quick Google search produced this:

Damprid Moisture Absorber, Refillable, 10.5 oz, Twin Pack Packing, Solid, White to Off-White, Composition: Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride, 2.15 Specific Gravity, OSHA Approved, For Bathrooms, Basements, Clothes Closets, Laundry Rooms, Bedrooms, Offices and Kitchens.

• Like 3

Near Asheville, NC

I looked at the chemical composition of formaldehyde (and the EPA data sheet) and I don’t know enough about the chemistry to know its various forms. It could very well be that many product manufacturers have stopped using it, given its carcinogenic effects. It’s still used in a lot of things though (wood products, clothing, building materials, etc). One article actually reports on the use of desiccants to absorb and remove formaldehyde from the air — so it’s hard to say. Maybe just ignore my comment about it. 

• Like 1