Pepwave Cellular Router and not the common install

jd1923

Any of you getting to know me as a new Oliver owner, might have noticed I'm not the conforming sort!

So, we wanted better cell reception, had the Verizon MiFi before, OMG how do you actually connect an antenna to that junk? Hate Verizon too, but they historically had the best coverage in the west (AT&T is weak out here). Did some research and came across: Mobile Internet for RV & Boats - Unbiased News, Guidance & Education - Mobile Internet Resource Center (rvmobileinternet.com)

After hours of more study, we found: Speed Demon Mobile Internet Bundle – MobileMustHave.com and ended up purchasing this bundle.

There is a thread here of an amazing installation on the rear of the Oliver: Pepwave Cellular Router Installation - Ollie Modifications - Oliver Owner Forums (olivertraveltrailers.com) Thank you @Wildbrew Great work, but fabricating a platform, a permanent installation on the roof of the Oliver? It's not for us. We do not travel with the Oliver enough for this to be worthwhile.

Thinking not only about the HW costs, but ongoing costs of data plans, I needed something not only for camping, but as a backup to my business. Then I found out that T-Mobile has 5G in much of Arizona, even in our small town and more 5G coverage than the rest.

The other thought that concerned me is out here in Arizona and the West in general is the elevation ups and downs, the canyons where we often camp. Why not consider a truck (TV) mounted solution? Often, like last week where we camped at Burro Creek, there was no cell service, no broadcast TV, no AM/FM, nothing. However, when we drove up to the highway we got a signal. Of course, when you drive the truck down the road, you cannot stream TV in the Oliver, but you can make calls, deal with an emergency and get on your laptop to receive and send emails.

I had the installation finished last weekend. I paid an extra $49 for MobileMustHave to configure the router, and they finished up this morning. Got a new T-Mobile Business account setup in the last few days and everything came together today! The Okla Speed Test came in at up to 242 Mbps download and 26 up, numbers likely much better than many have at home.

Pepwave Truck Installation.jpg

Parsec Antenna Install.jpg

Parsec Antenna Rear View.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• The title was changed to Pepwave Cellular Router and not the common install
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Chris and Cherie of Technomadia and Mobile Internet Resources were early Oliver Elite owners.  They moved from a Tab to an Elite before OTT's temporary shutdown and the sold it and moved to a large RV.  They are a great resource for mobile connectivity.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

11 hours ago, jd1923 said:

After hours of more study, we found: Speed Demon Mobile Internet Bundle – MobileMustHave.com and ended up purchasing this bundle.

I bought the same package in November 2022 during the holiday sale, even before we had our trailer. Mine is mounted in the trailer's attic, but I'm still using the stub antenna. I have the same external mount as you, but just haven't drilled that big hole yet. I'll be mounting mine on the pole mount, but mine will be on thereat awning bracket instead of using a pole.

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

I have the same external mount as you, but just haven't drilled that big hole yet... 

Now that I have this installed in the TV, there is no way I would want it installed in the Oliver. No drilling for the antenna, no 7x7 ft of cable in the attic, and a stronger cell signal to boot. I also use my truck around the county pulling dirt bikes for a day trip and drive 3-4 business trips annually without the Oliver. Now we have Wi-Fi on board everywhere. Works well with the diesel engine running, maybe because it sits much higher. Chris can use high-speed internet while I'm driving.

Yours has been sitting in your attic for 1 1/2 years (had read your earlier posts) and perhaps this year is the time to do it right! You need to make your mount so that it would sit above the A/C and btw running the air may cause some electromagnetic interference to the signal.

They say the Parsec Husky is the BEST cellular antenna and that it does not require a ground plane but would benefit from one. No better ground plane than the steel roof of an extended cab pickup truck! The magnet mount sits tight, just drop it in place. I placed a towel under it until I was sure of position to make it easier to move. With this install all was required was a 1 1/2" square hole in the back panel of the cab behind the rear seat. No Dicor necessary, no caulk, the rubber grommets and housing seal on the Icotek cable entry solution is all you need. I used speed clips for the 4 small bolt holes and 3M VHB tape to mount the Pepwave to the truck cab back wall.

Not just Wi-Fi at your camp, but anywhere and everywhere you drive. I can get caught up on work on my computer, while Chris is grocery shopping, or when we are parked at a restaurant! Think about that.

Speedtest.jpg

• Like 3

Drove the TV today to fill an LP tank for our upcoming camp. At a stoplight I thought why not run "Speedtest by Ookla" again, but this time while driving. Pulled up the app on my phone (phone Wi-Fi connected to the onboard Pepwave router with T-Mobile Business Premium 5G service) and clicked go as the light turned green. The test was bouncing from here to a T-Mobile server in North Las Vegas.

Checked the readings when I stopped for LP. While driving in traffic at 40 MPH I was getting better speed (132 down) than the 100 Mbps service most of America has at their homes. I'm not seeing the 5G symbol on my phone in this area but have in other parts of Prescott. Is 4G capable of this download speed?

On the way back it just started pouring rain for a few minutes. Tried the Speedtest in heavy rain and speed dropped down to 40 Mbps, still quite acceptable. The new tires felt good in the rain too. It's a rare case getting a rain test down here!

There certainly is 5G service in many parts of valleys of Yuma, Quartzsite and the West Valley of Phoenix, where we will travel next week. I will report on how this worked after our next road trip. 

You got to get one of these! 😂

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I'm not seeing the 5G symbol on my phone in this area but have in other parts of Prescott. Is 4G capable of this download speed?

When I was a working man, the best 4G download speeds I ever saw was 78 Mbps.  I never see a 4G or 5G signal strength reading while connected to WiFi on my iPhone.  Try turning WiFi off and then check your 'bars'.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

This is my 5g speed, outdoors, a few minutes ago, on my 5g s23+ samsung phone:

Screenshot_20240202_153425_Google.thumb.jpg.9b40553d39fa09d4503e822856f66433.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Indoors, I  fluctuate between 4g and 5g, metal roof, uv protection windows. This was 5g. Verizon. Indoors.

Screenshot_20240202_151438_Google.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I thought the first test was crazy, so I tried it again. Outdoors. 5g verizon. 

So, for now, we'll just continue with my phone, as a hotspot.  We don't "work" anymore. Just need a reliable connection.  So, we carry both Verizon and tmobile phones. Most of the time, if there's a signal to be had, we get one. 

Your setup is definitely better for mobile work, I'm sure. 

Screenshot_20240202_155758_Google.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

5 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

This is my 5g speed, outdoors, a few minutes ago, on my 5g s23+ Samsung phone:

@SeaDawg thanks for this data!

Are you in Florida now? The Sunshine State with 8,400 coastal miles, 66,000 square miles of line-of-sight flat land and 22M people, mostly cell phone customers? I know you go to a Carolina home often, but likely not in February and I'm not aware of your Florida location. You should expect these numbers in major metropolitan areas. Prescott is in Yavapai County AZ (population only 240K). Our county is almost the size of the state of New Jersey which has 10M residents, or more if you count the illegals. 🤣

It's amazing to get these speeds up here, at 5400 FT altitude, in the mountains! I was running errands today and noticed the 5G symbol at one point on my phone. Ran the Speedtest and got 332 Mbps! Last year with AT&T we'd get 10% of this speed on our cell phones.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

On 1/31/2024 at 11:12 AM, jd1923 said:

Not just Wi-Fi at your camp, but anywhere and everywhere you drive. I can get caught up on work on my computer, while Chris is grocery shopping, or when we are parked at a restaurant! Think about that.

That's a good solution with the pickup. But I'n not going to mount that white antenna on the top of my black Land Cruiser. And there's no good way to get the wires in. I tried solar wires on my similar 4Runner, and ended up coming in the door seal. There's just not a good location on an SUV.

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

On 2/5/2024 at 10:13 AM, Steve Morris said:

That's a good solution with the pickup. But I'm not going to mount that white antenna on the top of my black Land Cruiser. And there's no good way to get the wires in. I tried solar wires on my similar 4Runner and ended up coming in the door seal. There's just not a good location on an SUV.

Should have got the black Parsec Husky! 🤣 

I understand given our black GX470, but then I tried towing our EII with it and for me the platform was not stable of strong enough in mountain terrains, so we bought the white Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. If I was to install one in this SUV. I'd likely run the antenna cable by cutting into the rear spoiler where there is a harness already for the rear center brake light, with lots of room for the router behind the side panel in the RR quarter panel (I was back there last year running rear camera wires for a new Kenwood head). These can be too pretty for an antenna, but the roof rack would hide most of it.

We're on the road this week and the Pepwave router is working great. It sends a strong Wi-Fi 5GHz signal throughout the Oliver, even 20 feet behind it, and everywhere around the campsite!

Good thing we don't own AS trailers. I understand inside those tin cans you need to run a wired Wi-Fi Access Point since a roof-mounted antenna broadcasted Wi-Fi signal will not penetrate the metal hull. 

IMG_0609.JPG

• Like 1

Yep, the GX is a great vehicle, but not for towing the LE II. The LX is actually better than my Land Cruiser, due to the self leveling system and height adjustment. No need for the Firestone airbags with the LX. 

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg