Victron MP2 with (2) Epoch 460ah batteries. DAY #1 Removal, rewiring, mounts, routing wires

5 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Appreciate the schematic.  Installing the Victron actually simplifies the AC wiring compared to the OEM wiring with the 2000va Xantrex.

Still unanswered is how you provide GFCI protection.  Your upper (OEM) schematic shows a GFCI outlet being fed from a switch.  Unless yours is different from mine, all GFCI protection came from the GFCI outlet on the Xantrex receptacle.  I can only assume you have now swapped out the first receptacle being fed from the plug (now directly connected to the upper C/B on the panel) with a GFCI and are now feeding all downstream receptacles from the load side of the GFCI.  Correct?

My first OEM plug under dinette is a GFCI. 

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
15 minutes ago, rideadeuce said:

My first OEM plug under dinette is a GFCI. 

Understood, thanks.  I have no GFCI receptacles except for the one on the Xantrex. Obviously a lot of differences between hulls.  

As has been discussed in other threads, the lack of a hull-specific wiring diagram is a definite negative. 

• Like 2

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

11 hours ago, katanapilot said:

I have no GFCI receptacles except for the one on the Xantrex. Obviously a lot of differences between hulls.  

Same here and that means there is no GFCI unless running the inverter. It's also odd that Mike with hull 308 has a GFCI outlet and your hull 628 does not, like my old hull 113 does not. Why?

I believe we have two generations of OTT hulls and Xantrex products, mine being a 2016 and yours a 2020. My 2KW Xantrex only has 6 possible connections. On the backside with the fans, there are 3 DC connections, B+ an and B- connected by 4/1 AWG cable directly to the batteries and a 6AWG(?) ground that connects to the yellow ground bus under the rear dinette seat. The front side does have a dual GFCI outlet, rated 120 VAC 16.6A, the monitor cable and LCD screen

The older Xantrex in our hull does not have what you wrote "20 amp feed to the AC input of the Xantrex." Do you have the more modern look Xantrex, fully rectangular, squared edges painted gray? Or does yours look like mine, rounded edges metal looking black vinyl coated? I believe you have the newer generation Xantrex.

BTW, who cares! I'm ripping mine out end of July, the Xantrex, the Xantrex ATS, the funky little electrical box stuck in the corner that connects inverter supply to most 120V circuits, all the but the A/C. I will show my work here and looking forward to seeing yours.

All that matters, is... After all the old is removed, you connect the Victron MP to the batteries in the same way and to the ground bus. You connect shore power from the PD5100 ATS to the AC input and connect the 50A L1 output circuit to the entire Oliver 30A AC panel. This time including the 20A breaker for the air conditioner that was previously bypassed. Can't wait!

Pictures to follow:
1) GFCI close-up on inverter
2) PROwatt SW, with junction box above and inverter below
3) Rear Dinette seat with PD5100, self-installed EMS, Xantrex 2KW inverter and self-installed KISAE TS20 switch for running A/C on inverter.

ATS6.jpg

ATS1.jpg

ATS3.jpg

Edited by jd1923
Added pics
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 7/11/2024 at 4:19 PM, rideadeuce said:

I still have not worked out the kinks on my DC/DC charger setup, averaging 11-15 amps on the road. So nowhere near the potential of the 50amp charger.

Just curious, what's your SOC when you're reading 11-15amps?   Your 50amp Victron charger may only allow lower charging amp at higher SOCs.

FYI, we're getting 25-28amps with SOCs below 70% on the road.  As the SOC increases we're seeing 10-15amps (our's is a 30amp charger unit).

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

9 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I believe we have two generations of OTT hulls and Xantrex products, mine being a 2016 and yours a 2020.

Mine is an inverter and it appears @katanapilot has a Xantrex 2KW inverter/charger. 

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

13 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Same here and that means there is no GFCI unless running the inverter. It's also odd that Mike with hull 308 has a GFCI outlet and your hull 628 does not, like my old hull 113 does not. Why?

I believe we have two generations of OTT hulls and Xantrex products, mine being a 2016 and yours a 2020. My 2KW Xantrex only has 6 possible connections. On the backside with the fans, there are 3 DC connections, B+ an and B- connected by 4/1 AWG cable directly to the batteries and a 6AWG(?) ground that connects to the yellow ground bus under the rear dinette seat. The front side does have a dual GFCI outlet, rated 120 VAC 16.6A, the monitor cable and LCD screen

The older Xantrex in our hull does not have what you wrote "20 amp feed to the AC input of the Xantrex." Do you have the more modern look Xantrex, fully rectangular, squared edges painted gray? Or does yours look like mine, rounded edges metal looking black vinyl coated? I believe you have the newer generation Xantrex.

BTW, who cares! I'm ripping mine out end of July, the Xantrex, the Xantrex ATS, the funky little electrical box stuck in the corner that connects inverter supply to most 120V circuits, all the but the A/C. I will show my work here and looking forward to seeing yours.

All that matters, is... After all the old is removed, you connect the Victron MP to the batteries in the same way and to the ground bus. You connect shore power from the PD5100 ATS to the AC input and connect the 50A L1 output circuit to the entire Oliver 30A AC panel. This time including the 20A breaker for the air conditioner that was previously bypassed. Can't wait!

Pictures to follow:
1) GFCI close-up on inverter
2) PROwatt SW, with junction box above and inverter below
3) Rear Dinette seat with PD5100, self-installed EMS, Xantrex 2KW inverter and self-installed KISAE TS20 switch for running A/C on inverter.

ATS6.jpg

ATS1.jpg

ATS3.jpg

Don’t believe that’s the case in my trailer.  My Xantrex inverter/charger acts as a pass through when on shore or generator power and the GFCI outlet is powered - which then powers (and ground fault protects) everything plugged into it.  In my case, that’s the microwave and all the 120 volt receptacles.  

• Like 1

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

9 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Just curious, what's your SOC when you're reading 11-15amps?   Your 50amp Victron charger may only allow lower charging amp at higher SOCs.

FYI, we're getting 25-28amps with SOCs below 70% on the road.  As the SOC increases we're seeing 10-15amps (our's is a 30amp charger unit).

SOC hasn’t affected the amps output. I believe the issue has more to do with the fact that it is non-isolated version and the grounding wires need to be re-arranged. I was given this diagram to try

IMG_9540.thumb.jpeg.f8df9d546c2cfcb1a8b6bd070e9dd32e.jpegHe said the tow vehicle battery and TT batteries must have a common ground. So I am going to try this setup after I install new high output alternator. 

@MAX Burner it’s why I was excited to see you had installed a non-isolated 30 amp version because of my questions about negative/ground wiring. 
Originally had everything going to the TT negative bus bar then on suggestion I moved the TV starter battery negative 4 awg straight to the Orion with only slight improvement. Have not seen anything above 16amp even when below 25% battery. 
How did you wire your negative/ground wires for the Orion?

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra