Brand of metal valve stems

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 4/24/2024 at 9:44 AM, johnwen said:

Does anyone use a sensor on the spare?

Nope.  Most TP sensor systems are designed so that when the tire is sitting, the sensor shuts off.  So you'll never know if it gets flat.  

Yep they do work on the spares.   Researched and then called the MFG and they confirmed my faulty memory.  

The transmitter sends a milli-second burst of the ID number, pressure and temperature data when ever there is air pressure from the tire to the monitor.  So long as the sensor has a good battery AND it is not shielded from the monitor (Such as under the vehicle was for my Toyota Sequoia and possibly my F-150).... it is sending that data.  

For my Sequoia the tire sensor was shielded well and did not work.  I'll be re-installing the sensors on my spares this summer!

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
Senior Moment OOPs Bad Response!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I thought that when the Ollie starts moving the controls will sense the movement and run a diagnostic check of all sensors.

Since I have not installed my extra sensor on the spare at this point, I am only guessing that the spare will the checked?

UPDATE

@Geronimo John:

I googled if a spare tire with a sensor on it would register the tire pressure in the spare and the answer in a number of google answers was that it would register.

Can anyone that has a sensor on their spare confirm this?

Sorry to change the path of this post, but I wanted to clarify this.

Edited by dewdev

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

4 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Nope.  Most TP sensor systems are designed so that when the tire is sitting, the sensor shuts off.  So you'll never know if it gets flat.  

Thanks...good to know.  Mine shows different pressures and temperatures from day to day (for the spare), so I'm hoping it isn't a bogus reading.  Next time I have the cover off I'll compare the readout with a gauge. My sensor is external and on the stem.

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

I have the EEZTire TPMS and both the spare tire on the Ollie and on my F-150 DO register with this system for both pressure and temperature.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I have the EEZTire TPMS and both the spare tire on the Ollie and on my F-150 DO register with this system for both pressure and temperature.

That's interesting.  I'm running a 2018 EEZTire TPMS as well.  I purchased six sensors plus a spare so i could monitor Ollie and 2 spare tires.  I'll go find my info and advise why I pulled them off my spare tires.  

Will be good to know for sure.  More to follow....

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

On 4/24/2024 at 9:09 AM, Ronbrink said:

I take the sensor off the flat and use it on the spare.

Rationale: The TST monitor is programmed to show the wheel position of each sensor as it scrolls around the Oliver, as well as the TV if equipped. If a spare also has a sensor and deployed, the monitor was still show that wheel at the TT/TV spare mount position. I would rather remove the sensor from the flat tire and place it on the spare as not to disrupt the scrolling sequence. Also, if I choose to keep the spare on the ground and use the repaired tire as the spare, I don’t have to bother myself with reprogramming the TST monitor. As a side note, I recommend traveling with a set of replacement batteries for the type sensors used. Usually when glitches in monitor readings occur it is due to a weak battery. 

• Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

13 hours ago, johnwen said:

Mine is TST and I trust the readout for the spare...so far 🙂

The TST monitor has icons for the spare for both the TV and trailer, so it's no surprise that the sensors work even if the tire isn't rolling.  We've found the pressure and temperature of the rolling tires usually display on the monitor sooner than for the spare. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve & Mary Allyn

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly"

15 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Yep they do work on the spares.   Researched and then called the MFG and they confirmed my faulty memory.  Have re-written my above post accordingly.

The transmitter sends a milli-second burst of the ID number, pressure and temperature data whenever there is air pressure from the tire to the monitor.  It will be read on the monitor IF:

• It is within it's range
  • Has a good battery
  • AND it is not shielded from the monitor (Such as under the vehicle was for my Toyota Sequoia  

For my Sequoia the tire sensor was shielded well and did not work.  I'll be re-installing the sensors on my spares this summer!

GJ

PS:  For winter storage, recommend the Egg Carton storage suggestion with removal of the batteries from the sensors to protect from potential battery generated corrosion.

• Like 4