Andersen Hitch Install Photos & Advice - LE II

We are moving from an LE I to and LE II and have just purchased Hull #1364 (‘23 LE II). The previous owners had a larger truck so no Andersen Hitch installed. I have one ordered and have watched the video from Oliver University, but am still unclear on the placement of the brackets on the frame. The images in the video show placing them on the internal frame members, but it’s not clear how far back. 

Does someone who has the Andersen Hitch post a photo that would help me place the brackets properly on the frame? I know enough to realize this is going to take getting under the trailer, so my deepest thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out.

If you did your own Andersen install any and all tips are greatly appreciated.

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

The pic below might not help you too much, but, if you count the number of chain links that Oliver added to the basic Andersen setup you will then know how many to add (assuming that the Andersen you bought simply comes with the standard amount of chain.

From there you can then simply use the chains to measure off for the placement of the brackets.  Remember, once the brackets are installed, you should normally have between 4 and 7 threads showing after the nut when the chains are properly tightened.

Hope this helps!

Bill

p.s.  I've also added a pic showing the placement of the brackets on my Ollie which should help give you a reference point.

P1020192.JPG

brackets from side.jpg

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

assuming that the Andersen you bought simply comes with the standard amount of chain

Thanks very much - the photo is just what I needed. That combined with the video in Oliver U makes it make sense.

I am going to go with that assumption since I could not find a dealer with stock in south Dallas / Fort Worth, and I ended up ordering from the Andersen store on Amazon. I looked through the manual and the install guides and could not find a specification page where they say what the chain spec is. Do you know what the chain size / weight rating is?

Edited by DunnYet
Only pasted part of the post from my text editor - yes I compose post in a word processor to catch spelling errors (LOL)

Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

@DunnYet

This link may also help you. When you receive your new WDH don’t forget to register for your warranty. Anytime your load changes in your TV you will likely need to adjust your WDH accordingly. We upgraded a year after owning our Oliver to a 1 ton TV and no longer needed the Andersen and sold it. 

A quick call to Andersen tomorrow I bet would get the info you need on the chain.

Cheers!

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/oliver-university/Component_Manuals/Andersen_Hitch/Andersen-WD-Hitch-Installation.pdf 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

@DunnYet the Anderson WDH is available in a 2 and 2 5/16” ball, we have hull# 1386 (also a 2023) with 2 5/16” bulldog coupler and Anderson WDH. Make sure what size bulldog coupler is on your LE2 before you buy the Anderson WDH. Just an FYI. 

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

1 minute ago, rich.dev said:

@DunnYet the Anderson WDH is available in a 2 and 2 5/16” ball, we have hull# 1386 (also a 2023) with 2 5/16” bulldog coupler and Anderson WDH. Make sure what size bulldog coupler is on your LE2 before you buy the Anderson WDH. Just an FYI. 

It's the 2 inch coupler. Definitely a good thing to check!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

@DunnYet

If you want to clean up the appearance/look of your Andersen chains on your WDH this loom worked for me on my former Andersen WDH. It not only looks much nicer, but it does keep the chains cleaner looking. 10’ will work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VT09LS/?coliid=I105IRZOA4AD9&colid=28S7M1ANYVGFK&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Mod On! 
Patriot🇺🇸

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

15 hours ago, Patriot said:

It not only looks much nicer, but it does keep the chains cleaner looking. 10’ will work.

@DunnYet - FYI:  100% concur with Patriot, @topgun2, and @mossemi -- the thick wire loom keeps the chains squared away and gives a cleaner look, IMO.  Torch the ends after cutting to keep them from unraveling and tie-off with plastic wire ties:

Screenshot2024-05-29at05_48_23.thumb.png.9a271c0f65d13b4a898ff4bcf72cf916.png

...and as @Patriot has noted previously, the Sea Biscuit Designs OTT purpose-built rack keeps the "whale tail", chains, 7-pin, brake-away lanyard, and 12/12v charger cable tucked away cleanly and off the deck.

Screenshot2024-05-29at05_56_42.thumb.png.fe301ae20c4406c9bac82f53ee714e46.png

Cheers!

• Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Many of us now use this mod but all users should remember to check the condition of those chains beneath the wire loom every so often.

Thanks Foy for coming up with the idea.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

@MAX Burner

Yes cover those Andersen chains with wire loom for sure! It will make them look Sano! 👍🏻

Mod On!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

13 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

and as @Patriot has noted previously, the Sea Biscuit Designs OTT purpose-built rack keeps the "whale tail", chains, 7-pin, brake-away lanyard, and 12/12v charger cable tucked away cleanly and off the deck.

Thanks for that - looked it up and could not live without it! That is a great organization tool. Thanks for the photos.

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 5/28/2024 at 2:49 PM, Patriot said:

@DunnYet

If you want to clean up the appearance/look of your Andersen chains on your WDH this loom worked for me on my former Andersen WDH. It not only looks much nicer, but it does keep the chains cleaner looking. 10’ will work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VT09LS/?coliid=I105IRZOA4AD9&colid=28S7M1ANYVGFK&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Mod On! 
Patriot🇺🇸

Thanks for the link - ordered. I'm building up a list of projects when we take delivery next week.

spacer.png

Mike at Oliver provided the following handy specs....

3/8 galvanized chain is what you will need along with a 3/8 quick/d link. You will need 22 links per side. 

I am assuming that he is referring to Grade 30 as opposed to Grade 70 since he mentions galvanized.

spacer.png

On 5/29/2024 at 8:15 PM, DunnYet said:

Mike at Oliver provided the following handy specs....

I am assuming that he is referring to Grade 30 as opposed to Grade 70 since he mentions galvanized.

Grade 30 confirmed - received my Andersen today via UPS (talk about a heavy box) and inspected the chain. It’s marked “L3” which is the grade 30.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...